buying panels

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Buying panels today online is fine but the shipping will double the price. When are suppliers like this store going to stock panels in the northern plains(Idaho/Montana)? so people can buy them and just go pick them up. ?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    If you can find any local solar installers (typically Grid Tied systems) in your area--And either buy some of their excess, or piggyback on their next order...???

Another method, look at pallet pricing vs your purchase of a lot of X (where X is less than a full pallet)... At some point, it can be cheaper to buy a whole pallet (no repacking costs, same or similar trucking costs) than to purchase a lesser number of panels (with repackaging costs, similar or possibly higher shipping costs, etc.). You may also be able to get a pallet drop ship from direct from the warehouse/wholesaler (i.e., full pallet from XYZ distributor to you, vs XYZ to NAWS to you).

And there are options for "landing" your pallet... If you have forklift/loading dock or not... I.e., you have shipped to a terminal (with docks/pallet jacks/forklifts to receive from truck). And you go to terminal and pickup your self (unpack, pay terminal to fork into truck, etc.). For example, they usually charge extra for sending a truck with liftgate directly to your home.

In general, panels that are less than 145 Watts or so can ship "any method" (UPS, Bus, or Truck). Larger panels can generally only ship by truck/pallet. In some cases, you may be better off purchasing 2x 140 Watt panels with UPS shipping vs 1x 280 Watt panel (140 Watt panels tend to be more expensive put less to ship small quantities; Large format panels cost 1/2 the $/Watt, but shipping small qualities incures repackaging costs/minimum shipping or truck costs/air is more expensive).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
     You can get them locally
     I bought my panels from my  electrical supply house . I payed 135 plus tax for my first batch . 
     And picked them up at the shop . 
     My next batch was 160 plus tax after trumps tariff went into effect .
      You have to call around and see who can get them  AWS was more per panel and 500 buck in shipping , I would of  bought them from our host but I need the panels and could not seam to get them on the phone to place a order. 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ws9876 said:
     When are suppliers like this store going to stock panels in the northern plains(Idaho/Montana)? so people can buy them and just go pick them up. ?
    It would be cost prohibitive to have a warehouse every 150 miles so people could just pick them up. If the shipping cost is;
    ws9876 said:
    Buying panels today online is fine but the shipping will double the price. 
    Then you are likely buying a low quantity. You might find you are better off, with a small system, buying smaller panels which are  easier  to ship. Some sellers through Amazon and eBay sell 12 volt nominal panel for around   90 cents  a watt including shipping. Here's an example  of a 100watt panel for $80;

https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Polycrystalline-Efficiency-Module-Marine/dp/B00L6LZRXM/ref=asc_df_B00L6LZRXM/

If you will need a larger system, try saving and buying  all at once, since it cost almost as much to ship 2 panels as 20!

Backwoods Solar is in Sandpoint, Idaho (Very north central about equal distance from Wash, Mont and Canada...), and carries some  inventory, of course having to  have it shipped in it costs them more  so they have a bit  higher prices on some things, but if you get on their Email list they sometimes get large quantities (containers?) and sell  them  pretty cheaply  to move the inventory.

https://www.backwoodssolar.com/products/solar-panels

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ws9876
    I will see what Backwoods can do...but if anybody else up in the plains wants to split a pallet of 300 watt panels,quality,
    then pm me. I could use 3-4 and wouldnt mind more..I could sell them I imagine.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Wholesale electrical houses (Like Platt/CED etc are inventorying panels...Most will sell over the road.

https://m.platt.com/Products.aspx?search=Solar&start=0

Under $1/watt
  • ws9876
    your right..Platt has a lot of them and are local to me...but most seem to be 600 and 1000 v DC,  whats with that?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #8
    ws9876 said:
    your right..Platt has a lot of them and are local to me...but most seem to be 600 and 1000 v DC,  whats with that?
    That's got to be maximum string voltage. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah, look at the Spec sheet (cut sheet)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    200 watt mono panels  free shipping 80 cents a watt ebay
    2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I don't know what you are looking for.  I have three 300watt panels left from a project. 

I am about 60 miles West of Lewiston on Hwy 12
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Just go on ebay and shop for "solar panel" and Idaho.  I found this seller in Caldwell in about 10 seconds.
    Just contact the seller you find before bidding and ask if you can do local pickup instead of shipping.  I did the same thing with a seller in southern California, and I bought a kw of panels for 400$.  I just drove over to their warehouse and loaded them onto the back of my truck.

System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)