Battery enclosure code

Hi all. I've been trying to get my system to pass inspection. Inspector says i need to enclose my batteries with outside ventilation. I cant really find much in the way of code requiremnts, either in 690 or 706 NEC codes, and the inspector is less than helpful. I found a lot of manufactured enclosures, but honestly cannot afford to spend $1000 or more for this. If I'm reading right, the main functions of the enclosure is acid containment, ventilation of gases to outside, and protection of the terminals to prevent accidental short-circuiting. I have an idea to use a large, heavy duty plastic, lockable container, of course plumbing in the ventilation. Is this within code, or do i need to do something different?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #2
    That would suffice I would think, pass the idea on to the inspector for his/her opinion.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • gulfyankee
    gulfyankee Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    mcgivor said:
    That would suffice I would think, pass the idea on to the inspector for his/her opinion.
    I have, i emailed him several days ago. No response yet.