Baja land

billybob9
billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

The land in the red square is called the Ejto. It is owned by an Indian Tribe 5 mile from the town of San Felipe. The lots here are 130' by 130' and the front lots to the Highway have Electric and water. The lots further back do not. These lots are for sale and when you buy one you also join the tribe. This means you own the lot and pay no taxes to Mexico. No bank Trusts or land lease. Build what you want. This area is ATV friendly and you can ride your Quad anywhere . This includes on the highway and in the town of San Felipe itself. The beach is also available to ride and there are spots to get liquid refreshments along the way. I have a place there in the front section. The lots further back can be bought for as low as $1000. Houses for sale in the front section are about $50.000 to $80.000. Once you cross the border in Mexicai and go through town, it's cruise control for an hour, then you're there. Since there are a few here from the Baja or are interested I thought I'd share this... BG PS the term " the Baja" was used in the 80s to say I'm going to fish the Baja.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 #2

The term "THE" Baja has always sounded to me to be incorrect. I don't go home to THE California. Anyway us here on the South side of San Felipe just use. Baja, as in I'm going to Baja. 😀

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

How much for a lot with electricity and water? Water being the more important of the two in some ways. Though it is likely easy enough to get it delivered.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • billybob9

The lots with electric and water are $20.000 and there are a few of them. Getting water delivered is a pain in the butt just ask any person who lives in the El Dorado which is the development right next to the Ejto. Littleharbor2 I think I've met you as must of my friend are south of San Felipe and Puertecitos is my stomping ground. Maybe at Leon's house ( he's gone ) or at the outside bar at Pete's Camp. When Dora sold Campo Max I moved my camper to San Felipe but still go down to my spot to fish. I don't go home to the California either just use the term for the body of water ( Sea of Cortez ). Will be going down soon to look at a lot in the Ejto that my Niece wants to buy. I keep my toys in Jacumba so I just go down the hill to pop into Mexico. Do you know Bill Woodward ? My handle is Invader (boat) but Billybob is what they call me.

• softdown
    Got my pop up truck camper home today - 16 hours of driving last couple days. The camper is pretty heavy but gas mileage did not change. Surely I drive slower with it on. Will be "on the road soon" enough.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Why live on the west side of the Sea of Cortez vs the east side? It would seem like the west side may be hotter, drier, and much flatter. The area is too big for me evaluate by car very quickly.
  • billybob9

The westside is much friendlier. When we go down to Punta Chivato at the hotel on the balcony we push all the tables together and invite all the fly ins to party with us. It's like that all the way down to Cabo. No, it wouldn't be a Quick Evaluation but something you'll enjoy doing. I avoid TJ and since my stuff is on the mountain I will enter Mexico through Tecate to get on Mex 1.

• softdown
    Now begins the dangerous process of evaluating real estate around the Sea of Cortez. I have a remarkable "talent" for finding "deals". While I should spend many trips evaluating what is available vs. what is important to me - I also know how I operate. I might buy the first thing I see.

Decided to get a truck camper on Monday. Bought one on Thursday and I'm very happy with the purchase. It was about 66% off due to a broken top lifting gear. Easily replaced with a $100 worth of 30" scissor jacks - which also serve other purposes. 

Also - Ensenada strikes me as a pretty great location in many respects. The weather of San Diego just can't hardly be beat. One could avail themselves to both the Pacific and Baja/Sea of Cortez. So why shouldn't I do that? 
  • softdown
  • Tricksailing
    Tricksailing Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
    billybob9 said:

These lots are for sale and when you buy one you also join the tribe. This means you own the lot and pay no taxes to Mexico. No bank Trusts or land lease.

Do you mean 'Ejido'? Not necessarily Indian land but land owned communally by a local Ejido group.
    Is this an exception to the law which prohibits foreigners from owning land within 100 km of borders or the sea unless you have the bank trust/fideicomiso? I'd be interested in other workarounds for property ownership but have seen too many property scams to believe it without more details.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Scams and shams. Never buy anything south of the US border that you can't afford to lose or drive away from. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• billybob9

Yes you're right about the Ejido spelling. I don't know if this group of people are all Indians but you need to be qualified by them to buy the land. When you sell they also get a commission. Not a scam as many Gringos have built homes here and have been here many years. 10 years for me and have paid no taxes. So this is an exception from the 100km rule if it means the Sea of Cortez. This land is right next to the El Dorado.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I was not saying this land is a scam but in general about Mexico. As long as you can afford to lose it you are fine. I remember several cases of this where the Ejido corrupted when I was down there in the early 1990's. One was outside Puerto Escondido and another was in Conception Bay. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Much as I like Baja, have to give pause due to water restrictions and an even higher chance of corruption unless one has the needed connections.
  • billybob9

Yes, I've read about those places in Mexico where a new owner of the land comes in and tells the North American home owners (that have lived there years) that if they don't pay up, it's "hit the road jack". I knew some sail boat people in Conception Bay when that was going on. So this is Mexico Hard ball when investing any money there and helps if you can talk the talk.