Skeptical of this 1000watt Inverter Board

So there is this company on ebay that claims they are selling a 1000watt inverter board. The price looks dirt cheap and looking at the circuits required for it, to me it seems like a 500watt board for a 1000watt peak surge.

Anyone deal with this type of board to know what I am really looking at here? Seems like shady sales to me.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Skeptical of this 1000watt Inverter Board

This is just a board without any parts soldered on it.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    This is just a board without any parts soldered on it.

I know its just "the Board" as the title of the thread says.

This is what it looks like with all the assembly parts for $128 shipped. Seems a little to inexpensive, the torroid doesn't look big enough and the Uf capacitors, don't meet the criteria.

Attachment not found.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    This is what it looks like with all the assembly parts for $128 shipped. Seems a little to inexpensive, the torroid doesn't look big enough and the Uf capacitors, don't meet the criteria.

I wouldn't buy a board and use kit parts to replicate a Chinese inverter. If you want to do that, order an assembled board.

You can buy a kit and then replace parts that you don't like before soldering. Or you can buy all your own parts which meet your longevity/power requirements.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

that "kit" is going to need heat sinks, and some sort of thermal feedback control. IS it sine wave or mod sine ? Then you need a case & a fan and ..............
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SolarPowered
    mike95490 wrote: »
    that "kit" is going to need heat sinks, and some sort of thermal feedback control. IS it sine wave or mod sine ? Then you need a case & a fan and ..............

Its sold as a sine wave. The test results show that it is of a 60hz sinewave. I highly doubt however with one torroid of that size and the capacitors that it is barely making 500watts continuos, it almost appears to be a 350watt pure sin wave sold as a 1000watt according to the circuit layout.

Here is a pic of what a true inverter 1000watt should look like, and this is just from a Modified wave inverter, which can accept the processor (micro controller chipset) to convert the wave to pure sine wave.
    Attachment not found.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

You can get the board only for $8.99 from ebay HERE. It would be a fun learning exercise to put one together.You could probably scrounge most of the parts from junk electronics or buy the parts new for less than $50. Hmm ... Maybe I'll add it to my list of electronics learning projects.

But I don't think I'd want to use it for any critical inverting task.....:roll:
  • SolarPowered
    mtdoc wrote: »
    You can get the board only for $8.99 from ebay HERE. It would be a fun learning exercise to put one together.You could probably scrounge most of the parts from junk electronics or buy the parts new for less than $50. Hmm ... Maybe I'll add it to my list of electronics learning projects.

But I don't think I'd want to use it for any critical inverting task.....:roll:

The board layout is better suited for Micro Inverter function. If you analyze the board, and processor it has all the basic components needed for a micro inverter. I believe to label it 1000watts seems a little over rated. This board seems to be stackable for parallel applications, so maybe it could function up to 1000watt, but the board appears to be a 350watt board from most of the boards I look at . I've already put together pricing on most of these parts for larger torrid (torrid alone is $35), Mosfets ($5 each),capacitors ($3.75 each) from frys electronics, however the vendor says you have to buy the board before he/she is willing to divulge the information for the processor (processor is around $45) which is the most important function of the pure sine wave. Without the processor its just junk.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    I've already put together pricing on most of these parts for larger torrid (torrid alone is $35), Mosfets ($5 each),capacitors ($3.75 each) from frys electronics, however the vendor says you have to buy the board before he/she is willing to divulge the information for the processor (processor is around $45) which is the most important function of the pure sine wave. Without the processor its just junk.

Much cheaper to get parts through Digikey, mouser, Arrow or even ebay. Sub $1 for caps (maybe a bit more for the 2 large filter caps), $2-3 for mosfets. Toroids more but not $35 (likely less than $10). $45 for the MCU? Highly unlikely. Sub $5 likely - Do you know what it calls for? This doesn't exactly need highly sophisticated processing. Likey 8 bit AVR or similar. No more than $10 I would guess.

OK Edit - now that I look closer it looks like it is using a " pure sine wave inverter on a chip". It's hard to see but it looks like it is using a daughter board with an EG8010. It does look like it puts out a true sine wave.

You can buy the daugther board with chip installed for $15.99 on ebay HERE. In fact as you can see that listing links back to the same inverter board for sale. (oh - found it for $8.98 on ebay HERE )

Or for $8.36 on AliExpress HERE. AliExpress also has the individual chips for $1.96 in lots of 5.
  • udaya
    udaya Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    edited July 2019 #10
    Input voltage (P3+ P4-) DC24V. JP2 bridge but U1 7812 Voltage regulator burnout. But it is working with DC12V JP3 bridge and without U1 7812. Any solutions ?
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    The EGP1000W is missing a lot, even populated.  As per the schematic, there are no FET drivers, NO transformer, NO controller, no heat-sink, no current or voltage feedback circuitry, no overload protection, no a LOT of things.  i.e. all it is is a full bridge stage without a brain.   Maybe if you want to tinker ?

Cheaper to buy a small-ish Chinese inverter.  They usually even work.

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    One caution, some of the components are surface mount and I can't figure out why. There is plenty of board space for thru hole. Surface mount adds another layer of difficulty.