New Inverter XW Pro & New Conext Gateway with easy remote monitoring on Conext Insight 2

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It was tested right here Mike and many times in Burnaby and other sites. There is more to the story that you do not know and I am not at liberty to say.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini

Quick - Fit from the wind/sun store here.

• Dave Angelini

WiFi station mode is what's being developed and Schneider is trying to have this implemented ASAP. Should be soon!

• boxerman
    boxerman Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭

Hello Dave - Do you know if the XW Pro allows something like 20kWAC of grid-tie inverters with frequency control to be effectively AC-coupled for creation of a back-up system with higher daytime power capability (with solar) than battery supported capability?

• Dave Angelini

If the grid inverters support curtailment (SMA TL+ and others) then yes. You would just set the XWP charger to a smaller percentage of charge current for the max charge current of the battery. XW+ does this also.

• boxerman

Thanks for your response. Schneider Technical FAQs site seems to indicate there are greater restrictions and AC-coupling with XW+ models though and I'm wondering if XW Pro have this same (AC1 max amps) limitation. XW Pro spec for AC1 is 60A (14.4kW) versus 48A (11.52kW) of XW+. The following is from a Schneider page:

AC Coupling with XW+ Models

The Comments from Escalation state that for AC coupling you can AC couple up to the lessor of (2 X power rating of single XW+) or 48A relay parameter(48*240=11.5kw)

Example:With (2) XW6848+ total power would be 13.6 kw, and with the 48amp transfer relay (48*240=11.5kw)

Answer:The grid tie inverters would have to be set at or less than 11.5kw since 13.6kw is above the 48 amperage parameter.

• Dave Angelini

Makes sense as the XWpro has new power and control PCBs of higher ratings.

How many XW's are you going to have? I would just use one sell the excess and limit the charge on battery for back-up.

Sounds like you are doing something more complex like selling battery after sunset.

• boxerman

Looks like I misread AC1 output of XW Pro and it is only 48A as well.

I'm looking at only one XW mainly for the purpose of grid back-up grid-forming so that PV is made available. I think I would actually connect grid to AC2 for battery maintenance from grid only (I believe there is no production that leaves AC2, and I am at net metering cap with grid-tie PV by itself). AC1 would connect into the alternate source input of a 400A whole-service manual transfer switch. When transfer switch is connected to AC1 as source, I would have 2-10kWAC Fronius Primo's interconnected at a downstream loads panel. In theory I would have as much as 20kWAC PV + 6.8kW charged battery = 26.8kW/112A@240V middle of the day (very best case) and 6.8kW/28A@240V overnight (while energy support lasts). This would help keep half of a "camp" energized, could possibly repeat on the second half.

However, when you look at someone like Victron they have published a 1:1 rule: The max PV power must be equal to or less than the VA rating of the inverter/charger. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

I assume this indicates an inability or some or maybe all inverter/chargers to ensure PV won't drive to much current through the power conversion electronics (even with frequency "control" of the grid-tie system). The lower grid-tie PV solar prices are, the more disappointing this is. Schneider does seem to offer a little more headroom than Victron does, but I haven't found anything more official about this ration from them. I sadly might have to plan for one grid-tie inverter to be turned off if they ever went into back-up mode.

• Dave Angelini

What good would it do to have both 10KW grid inverters on in an outage? XWP can only load support 6.8KW continuously. It will use 140 adc max from the grid inverter to charge and support loads.

I am offgrid and testing the gear basically as a circuit validation test in the field. There are sales Engineers at Schneider who are far more skilled at grid usage with their gear.

• boxerman

XWP might only be able to feed in 6.8kW, but loads would have access to as much as 26.8kW when the sun is shining strong if everything is ac-coupled.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

And if a bird flies across the array, and your AC power collapses?

Yea, a silly, worst case example--But the closer you run to the array's maximum output (for that time of day and weather), the less wiggle room you have for things that happen (birds fly over array, cloud goes by, cat sleeps on a panel, etc.).

If you are running loads that "don't care" if power goes away randomly (such as water pumping), then not a big issue.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini

My cat goes up a tree and can jump on an array. When the array goes flat at noon he hunts birds.😎 He hunts anything that moves

The newest firmware for the Conext Gateway will be out very soon. Should get the wifi station mode going along with a few other fixes.

• jonathancs
    jonathancs Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited April 2019 #44

some body having problem with conext gateway and conext insight 2 communication ?

and having problems with fault notifications etc... etc...

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had issues several years ago, being off grid and the gateway defaulting to insight ON and filling the memory up with error messages it could not contact insight

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini

The new conext gateway works fine with Insight2. There are times of day occasionally where it is being worked on to finish the known issues with the system. If anyone finds an issue please post it here and I will see that it goes on the list.

• jonathancs

I am having a lot of problem , previously had combox and it was working like a charm!!!

but now im having so much problem :

1-having problem with the communication with conext insight 2

2- fault do not 'appears as sopose to be , at :/event/ section/ on conext gateway device

3- at conext insight 2 is the contrary appears a tons of fault that has nothing to do with my system

4- etc etc... believe me i have xw 5548, conext 80/600, battery monitor , previously combox , and now conext gateway it's a headache

photo attached as example

• Gullo
    Gullo Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭

JonathanCS

That is an incredible fault log! Thank you for posting it. It caused me to look over my fault log in Gateway as well. It's nothing like yours, but it does seem a little nuts. I have 23 pages of faults - mostly DC under voltage and system configuration faults. I've only owned the Gateway since February 12. That's a LOT Of faults for 2 months.

I actually logged in this morning to report a different bug... Dave Angelini, as I mentioned a few days ago, I moved my AES Batmon to the same xanbus with the MPPT 80s, and the batteries do seem to be charging dynamically. There have been zero VOC shutdowns, and I have not dropped any charge controllers off of xanbus over night. BUT for the last 3 mornings, I have noticed that, in Battery settings in Gateway, Battery capacity is very different from my actual battery - Yesterday it was 1690Ah and today it was 260Ah. I reboot the Gateway through the software reboot, and the erroneous number corrects itself to 2210Ah.

The good thing is that the error doesn't seem to be "real"  What I mean is, this morning I was reporting 260Ah battery at 84%SOC, so I discharged a couple of kW with the oven, and the SOC seemed to respond correctly for a 2210Ah battery

If I actually had only 260Ah battery (13300Wh), and I discharged 2000 watts, I should have reduced my SOC by 15%. But, after discharging 2000 Watts, my Gateway reported SOC was only 1% lower at 83%.

What are your thoughts on adding the Combox to the Xanbus with the Gateway? Maybe in the same xanbus with the inverters - and then comparing the fault logs?

• Dave Angelini

jonathancs

You have an XW+ right? Old XW is not supported at this time. There is a known issue with the events page. The faults are self clearing right? Some of these events are not real and do not cause any issues, "for me"

I am offgrid and really have not had the Grid issues but Schneider is working on next CG firmware ASAP.

I passed the link here on to them.

Hang in there!

• jonathancs
    edited April 2019 #50

yes I have , Xw + 5548 , the faults somes are self clearing ... the Conext Gateway get me worried , right now , Something can happen with my system and not realize... because the Conext Gateway

• jonathancs
    edited April 2019 #51

I have my Battery monitor with the MPPT 80 same xanbus connection as “daisy chain”. I have my connection as the Conext Gateway said. Note : this fault events appears at Conext insight 2 /section / events/

• Dave Angelini

Don't worry be happy! Early adapters sometimes are part of development these days. It is often a matter of resources in large companies. It has not changed since I worked for one.

You also have the grid so if you are concerned you can imagine what it is like for me offgrid. I have not lost power once with XWP, CG, and Insight2. You can revert to combox until the next firmware is out.

You can also give feedback at the link below.

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/conext-gateway-conext-insight-2-product-feedback/

• Gullo
    Gullo Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited April 2019 #53

I've had the Conext Gateway for 2 and a half months now... It has so much promise, and I remain enthusiastic about it. Nevertheless, I recently had an experience that forces me to post a little --- suggestion - Don't get rid of your Combox just yet. Keep it around for a while.

My point is that Gateway doesn't have a bootloader mode, and a failed firmware upgrade might result in problems you can't fix YET without your old Combox.  

• rpvietzke
    rpvietzke Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Dave, All,

Earlier on in this post, before the gateway was released, there was some talk that the Gateway would be able to signal (relays? modbus?) that there was excess solar power available for consumption. I looked through the current documentation and don't see this described (yet). Is this something that is functional now, or still in planning?  

I have a number of things I could setup to run a little longer or more often if I knew when there was excess juice!

Rob
  • Dave Angelini
    It is in the plans and is being discussed. I was told the next firmware would address some of this. They know about Alexa and Google home. Writing a Schneider Smart switch app or a hub like user configuration has been also discussed. The last build is below.

The conext Insight 2 is working very nicely and should allow reading and writing to analog and digital I/O from the WEB. It works very quickly for me,  as soon as the page is sent the device responds. 

• Dave Angelini
    Just an FYI on mixing XW+ and XWPro. They still are not supported mixed in the same system. It may be some time before this happens and Schneider is saying not to do this on the same xanbus system. at this time.

The XW pro and new Gateway have been running fine here for almost a year now. Zero hiccups B)

• Dave Angelini
    Latest firmware v1.04 for Gateway. Most of the known limitations are still needing to be added. Not much new here except the string inverters being added.

• Dave Angelini
    I heard from Schneider that the old XW "greybox color" will work with Gateway if the XW has the last firmware v1.07 in it. This firmware is located under the discontinued product category on the Schneider website.

• Dave Angelini
    edited June 2019 #59
    A nice youtube from the Solar Offgrid and residential product marketing manager at Schneider. He goes thru the last revision. I have worked with him for the last 2 years doing the field testing on the gateway and xwp. We also did the circuit validation field test on the conext bridge together. Looks like the 2 xanbus loops in gateway are working now also.

I have not set that up here yet as I am booked for the summer. Lot's of people wanting backup now that PG & E will be shutting down power on a regular basis for wildfires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5XWFFmEf8

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited June 2019 #60
    Here is the Youtube direct "clickable" version of the link Dave just posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5XWFFmEf8

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Just finished a remote configuration of a system in the USVI. The function works well. In the pix below I marked out the code but it should be in the gateway user manual. (I can email it). Once you enter the code, gateway gives you a unique diagnostic ID. You then give that to Schneider or someone you want to be able to see and config your power system. The session status goes green (normally always red) and your system is open for adjustment. Pretty easy, cheap, and faster than a truck/airplane ride.