En-sem-ble AC battery storage

billybob9
billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
The IQ8 micro inverters are now available and I've seen all the Adverts from Enphase to change over. The inverter operation is quite simple as it is now just acting like a transfer switch when the grid goes down ( or you shut off your main breaker ) it keeps the supply of AC going. So the storing of AC is new to me and if anyone wants to jump in here to shed some light on this I would appreciate it..

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AC only works while there is good sunlight
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    billybob9 said:
    The IQ8 micro inverters are now available and I've seen all the Adverts from Enphase to change over. The inverter operation is quite simple as it is now just acting like a transfer switch when the grid goes down ( or you shut off your main breaker ) it keeps the supply of AC going. So the storing of AC is new to me and if anyone wants to jump in here to shed some light on this I would appreciate it..
    If you want to store AC you need their AC battery, which runs around $2500.  It's small (~1kWhr.)
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to store AC you need their AC battery, which runs around $2500.  It's small (~1kWhr.)
    But in reality, isn't it a box wrapped around a UPS ? (Charger, battery, inverter, transfer switch)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really Mike, you have to spend another 2,500 for to get this 1.2KWH of useage. I may be mixing this up with solar edge that needs a transformer if you have 120 vac loads. Both of these systems half baked at this time, to me....way too small to be useful compared to an off the shelf genset.

Enphase, AC Battery, 1.2kW, Lithium Iron Phosphate, 240VAC, Requires IQ-Envoy & CT's, IQ6PLUS-B1200-LL-I-US00-RV1 

Found in Energy Storage:

Retail Price:$2,500.00
    Your Price:

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Dave Angelini
    I agree with you totally. After looking at a few Hybrid systems now, I don't like how Enphase has taken an easy DIY system with mini Inverters at the solar panel and are now defeating that purpose by making a very complicated machine. Since the Inverters are at the panels, I would think just a transfer switch on the panel going either to the mini inverter then to the 240vac breakers, or going to a DC controller. On my system this would be easy to do as my panels are 250w and compatible to my emergency 24vdc system. This won't happen as I'm happy with what I have now.