NPP batteries

Options
mendocino_beano
mendocino_beano Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
Does anyone have experience with NPP batteries? They seem well certified and a few pounds heavier than most of the Chinese rebrands. Come with a two year warranty as well. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Are these the batteries?

http://nppbatteries.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

I am not sure--Some (at least, if not all) are GEL batteries which tend to not be great for off grid solar use... Typically we want to charge a daily use off grid power system at 10% to 13%+ current (100 AH battery * 10% rate of charge = 10 amp charging current).

GEL batteries typically want 5% or a bit less maximum or charging current. High charging current can damage them. Their GEL batteries are designed for float operation (UPS/Emergency backup power).

Even the "deep cycle" batteries are recommended for shallow cycling. Their deep cycle rating is not that great.

If this was a weekend cabin or RV, they will probably be OK (not that many cycles a year--Just vacation or weekend use).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mendocino_beano
    mendocino_beano Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    This was my concern as well. Although they do offer many non-gel, the fact that they are sold as suitable for UPS, Telecom, solar, wheelchair, paperweights, etc leads me to believe they are not true deep cycle. A quick glance at the data sheet shows they are rated to about 1300 cycles at 30% DOD. The 200ah "deep cycle" agms are rated to .3C (60a max) so yah not great I guess. The plus side is I could probably burn through them before the two year warranty is up 😋
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019 #4
    Options
    Have you priced Concord?  My brother had them in the plane on the left side of this web-page. Made in California.

http://concordebattery.com/
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net