New Rich Text Editor in Beta (from our forum software supplier "Vanilla")

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 #92

Just typed a fairly long post,   and it is entirely gone   ...   NBD   Thanks,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited April 2019 #93

Evening Vic,

I am very sorry to hear that. Are you still not allowing JavaScript on the forum?

Anyway, I have been having good luck with the autosave (and JS enabled).

I could not find any tracks of your edit, so it is probably "gone".

I am contacting Vanilla support about this.

There is (or should be, with JS enabled) a Save Draft button if you need to manual save your work...

-Bill

And, can you tell me anything more about what happened (why did the initial post fail, etc.)?

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭

BB,

Concerning Andrew's comment on iOS 9.3.5 being out of date.....According to Apple 9.3.5 is the latest release for my iPad , I'm not going to replace my iPad due to some software not supporting a current product! It works fine on all the other forum so and everywhere else I go on the Internet ...its not my iPad still 1 character at a time! I'm far more frequent on MidNite forum and never had an issue. Or anywhere else . There are no Java scrip updates for 9.3.5. Kinda like winders...gotta buy everything new every year

SAD DAVID

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • BB.

Yea, I see that with Android devices... The mfg. cannot possibly be bothered with keeping older devices up to date... However, my daughter can frequently update them with the latest and greatest Android with an hour's work (looking for open source hacks of the devices).

I will contact Vanilla Support again.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Tecnodave

I have searched but can't find a better replacement for safari. Chrome stopped supporting and the other one as well, forgot who that was, interesting, when p.m. zing members on delay is not seen, just sent message to photowit, no problem. The combination of the typing delay and apple auto butcher my spelling is making it difficult to post, having to go back and edit, I edited a post in my email program and copied and pasted it to forum, very fast, no delay.....

One day I will get one of the big screen iPads but buck$$$

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Solfyr
    Solfyr Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭

Annoying , when using the Quote , and pasting sentences of more than one line , the first line(s) get inserted above the quote box .

Android 8.1.0 , Crome browser .

• Tecnodave

cannot post all morning now back to 5 seconds to enter each character.......

• BB.

OK, I give up... There are about 1 or 2 things I liked about the Rich Text Editor, but I am changing back to the WYSIWYG editor that we have been using.

Hopefully, things will go back to "normal".

-Bill

• Tecnodave
    That will be a relief, this is so fustrating
  • Tecnodave
    It works great now, no delay on text entry.....This forum is such a resource, I have been here many times in the past 6 years, mostly not logged in to search for information that is not commonly available......Wind-Sun gets 90% plus of my business, also a great resource. 
  • BB.
    My pleasure David.

Going back to the previous editor should work well for everyone,  I hope.

Bill
  • Tecnodave
    Something has changed.......best of has disappeared and edit gear wheel does not work on mobile
  • BB.
    Hmmm... This stuff worked for your for two weeks (when I changed back to WYSIWYG editor), then stopped working "today"?

Depending on browsers and OS's, did anything change on your systems? (My firefox has a "desktop mode" that can turn on/off mobile website mode)...

-Bill
  • Tecnodave
    edited May 2019 #105

Same Apple iPad that I use 99% of the time, I do have a Lenovo idea pad but it is rather clumsy compared to the iPad. I just lost edit today but for several days best of has disappeared. Sometimes I see a message that I must have some add on, a common one that I'm sure that I have, there are other strange things happening, sometimes I get an email that I can't display, just got a request from pay pal that I could not display. I'm trying researching on iPad viruses but there is scant information on the subject and no scanners that I have found. I generally don't go to unknown sites, you never know what you are going to get. It does work much better with very quick response on typing, before I would be 10 or more characters ahead ot screen response but apples autobutcherspell would scramble it before it was displayed on screen, coupled with no edit, that was fustrating

EDIT>>>>now logged in from Lenovo editing post from ipad gear wheel works, best of reappeared, seems normal from here, I cant find switch for desktop mode/mobile mode

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a "full site" link if you click on the 3 bar menu icon.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Tecnodave
    I do not see a three bar menu, I'm going to have to log on with the idea pad and iPad at the same time so I can see where it is supposed to be, also I can't find where I do a signature, my system, etc.
  • Estragon
    The 3 bar icon s/b in the upper left corner on the main forum page, or a the sub-forum page (eg off-grid).  In a specific thread (eg this one), there should be a left arrow ("<") icon to go back, which should get replaced by the 3 bar icon in about the same place after going back.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Tecnodave
    edited May 2019 #109
    I keep going to a mostly blank page that states. "Permission Denied". "You need to have java script enabled to do that". I have Java script installed and enabled but then again this is iOS 9.3.5 not iOS 10.3........according to Apple this is the latest iOS that will run on this 64 gb iPad I tries to download a Java script program from the App Store but it will not download......needs iOS 10.0.0, still searching for the fix, no Mozilla or other for this ipad
  • BB.
    Tecnodave,

I have forward this discussion to Vanilla support...

-Bill
  • Tecnodave
    I got the solution to Safari browser.........Puffin browser works well here, requires ios 8.0   edit works well and best of has reappeared.....Will use Puffin for a while to see if other issues go away...unable to see some emails due to formatting etc. Apple definutely wants me to buy new ipad but if they cant support a 64 gb. ipad, well maybe not.......Android will get a good look over before i would even think of giving apple money for not supporting a product!
  • BB.
    David,

Thank you for letting me know that your found something that works. From Andrew at Vanilla:
    I would have the user completely clear their cache on their device if they're worried about malware or viruses potentially affecting them (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265).  Generally, there aren't many places for those things to hide on iOS devices and clearing out that temporary data will knock them out as well.  
    If they continue to be unable to see those icons, see what browser they're using and suggest that they download a secondary one from the App Store (Chrome, maybe).  A lot of the time, they'll come bundled with a newer version of javascript that might not be compatible with Safari.  That might help them use the community again. 
    He says that they do keep working on the JavaScript stuff to keep ahead of the security holes... So, things can change (for better or worse?).

-Bill
  • Tecnodave
    edited May 2019 #113
    BB,
    Thanks for all your efforts here, it is greatly appreciated. I have researched viruses on ipad and ios does not allow any app to access any other app so it makes it very hard for viruses to enter, basically they must replicate and ios does not allow that. Security is one of the reasons that all my critical communications, banking , credit transactions etc. are done exclusively on the ipad.  i dont even have email on my winders machine. dont trust microscam
  • Tecnodave
    BB,
    Andrew hit on something, I cleared iOS cache and best of and edit works now from safari, I don't know what got in there but it sure raised hell. I've done this before with no change but this time it's working. I now have three working browsers, dolphin, puffin, and safari. Chrome and Mozilla both require iOS 10.0.0 which is not available for this iPad 
  • BB.
    Neat.

-Bill
  • Tecnodave
    edited May 2019 #116
    BB,
    I was responding to a post from newbe janka and something happened...not sure what I lost control of iPad and left to clean out safari tracks, came back on and the thread is flipped around.....maybe we were posting at same minute......my response to his post is before his post....???    Like I read his mind?  I don't know, I had to log in again and system once again would not accept my password....I had to reset it....back to the same password...this happens every time I clean out safari cookies and junk.  By the time I logged back in it was 15 minutes or so but his post was there when I lost control,  precursor, comment box was one line only, did not open up for editing and would not let me edit once I posted.       Post name....Solar controller sizing..need help
  • Tecnodave
    edited May 2019 #117
    BB, 
    janka and I were editing at the same time, his post got lost and mine posted but I lost control.....the comment box stays grey and post your comment is posted in the post on my post but not his. I just cleaned out cache and cookies, strange happenings.    Maybe I should log out and back in with puffin browser to see it that makes a difference
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tecnodave said:
    BB, 
    janka and I were editing at the same time, his post got lost and mine posted but I lost control.....the comment box stays grey and post your comment is posted in the post on my post but not his. I just cleaned out cache and cookies, strange happenings.    Maybe I should log out and back in with puffin browser to see it that makes a difference
    Or perhaps get an Android device, iPad's are a PITA at times, don't miss the one I had one bit.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    David,

I am not sure what is happening... Janka's post was put into the spam queue (I don't know why that happened), and I approved posting just now. So, that part is what sometimes seems to happen with the forum software (a post appears, then gets pulled a short time later by an automated spam check processes).

I don't know if this caused your Ipad loss of post/lost of password issues.

I do not have any Ipad/Mac/Apple products, but I have have not heard of any body having any Apple Only posting issues here (other than Tecnodave).

I tend to use Firefox on Windows and Android phone, and Chrome on Chromebook (most of my postings in the last 6-12 months). They (the browsers and platforms) all seem to behave similarly. The Firefox browsers are pretty locked down (noscript where the websites work with NS, ad blockers, control of cookies). The Chromebook Chrome browser is similar (except NoScript--Does not work in the Chrome domain).

The only issues I am aware off....
    1. Every few weeks to a month or so (very randomly), I get logged out of the forum (stay logged in box checked). I use the "save my password" in my browsers to login--And I have never lost my password where I needed to get it reset (there was one time I was admin editing a user profile, and somehow, the forum software applied the other members permissions to my account (sort of makes being a moderator/admin a little difficult).
    2. A sort of random post/editing issue where sometimes, random browsers will double space between paragraphs. Have had no luck in fixing that with Vanilla (and one reason I tried the new Rich Text Editor for a couple months--Which had other issues).
    David, I can ask Vanilla support to look at the possible IPad issue and lost password... Do you want me to ask now?

The missing/reappearing post is, more or less, the cost of spam vigilance (and Vanilla's auto spam tools are working wonderfully for me, on average. Just one or a couple false positives a month--And almost no spam sneaks through).

-Bill
  • Tecnodave
    Bill, 
    its a random issue , both janka and I posted then went back and edited our posts, forum software has it on the same minute....$hit happens and life goes on......ill still be here on this forum, very valuable research done here by myself and others, I mostly read posts for 5 years here and other forums. Even when I'm looking for information I stop and help out newcomers as this is how I got to where I am....  I really appreciate the effort that you put in especially for the executive level pay you receive.....and the perks....ha ha.  Thank you for your time and efforts
    david
  • Estragon
    Maybe related to the spam queue thing - presumably Vanilla uses some sort of third-party real-time blackhole type list, which may blackhole based on various metrics associated with an ip address or range thereof.  Many/most of us get ip addresses assigned dynamically by an ISP, so it's possible that flagged metrics on a previously assignment could create a false positive on a currently assigned ip/range.  FWIW.
    Off-grid.