High frequency vs low frequency inverters

AGB
AGB Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
Can anyone help me understand the advantages of using low frequency inverters over high frequency invereters?
I know the low frequency inverters are bulky and heavy.
Any article on this topic will be helpful.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • clockmanfran
    clockmanfran Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018 #3

I think that  the writer of that article 'Christopher Freitas' https://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/equipment-products/how-inverters-work  is a little out of date with what is happening.

From 2015, We operate our Low Frequency OzInverter at 23.4kHz Modulation frequency, and is a H bridge configuration.  

Its called a Low frequency as we operate with a specially wound toroid transformer that matches the core material and therefore gives us parameters for the back charging. ie it can operate backwards and take a GTI output thats above the Ozinverter set AC voltage output and feed it backwards into DC to charge the batteries. 

With our toroid transformer losses are kept minimal, normally for a 6kW, and I mean a real 6kW, the OzInverter will tick over using about 30 watts, while a standard laminated transformer as shown in Mr 'Freitas' article is very lossy, say about 200 watts.  However a toroid has horrendous surges and these need to be controlled. 

I do know of some research going on with HF (ie without a substantial weight transformer) that is very fast to match input to output without sag, but is does need good capacitors, so far its has limits of around 1.8kW, but things are moving fast with new open source code writing.

interestingly I think that 'Midnite' are developing a modular form of HF inverter, they started talking about it in 2014, and it looks like they are paralleling up to get a good Wattage. 

Lots of fun things happening in the Inverter world.  

Everything is possible, just give me Time.

The OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m dia wind turbines, (12 years running).  ... 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 years) .... 14kW PV AC coupled using Used/second hand GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with the AC Coupling and OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries. 

• AGB
    Thank you both. This is very helpful.
    I was wondering if any of them produce interference to electrical equipments but it looks like, it all depends on the implementation and the controls built in. Also as things keep improving, the difference would most likely be how manufacturers decide to implement their choice. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited January 2020 #5
    Look for devices that are FCC Class A (commercial) or FCC Class B (residential--lower emissions standards--I.e., electrically quieter/generate less radio frequency noise).

Many AC inverters (and other solar power devices) never bothered to get FCC testing done (not cheap to do). And generally they were noiser than those folks that went to the expense and trouble to do the work.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

clockmanfran said,   "    ...   normally for a 6kW, and I mean a real 6kW, the OzInverter will tick over using about 30 watts, while a standard laminated transformer as shown in Mr 'Freitas' article is very lossy, say about 200 watts   ...".

High quality Low Frequency inverters can have low Tare (idle) losses  --  The Xantrex SW+ 5548 in use here have a Tare of "less than 20 Watts at full voltage".   To be fair,   these inverter/chargers output 120 VAC (NA models)  and need a second 5548 if 240 VAC (for NA)  is needed.   These are REAL inverter/chargers with true 5500 Watt output,  continuous,   and weigh about 135 Lbs (about 61 KG)  each.   The LF transformer has an EI transformer with steel laminations,  and weighs about 50 Lbs for each inverter.

If one is concerned about Emissions,   agree with BB Bill,   look for FCC Class b,  or the similar EU specs.

Good inverter/chargers are not inexpensive  --  quality comes at a price  but is usually worth it,  IMO.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cosuper_Energy
    Cosuper_Energy Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    depend on your loads, and the place you install the inverter.
    the efficiency, high frequency is higher than the low frequency inverter.
    peak power, high frequency inverter is 2 time of rated power. but the low frequency inverter is 3 times of rated power.
  • AGB
    It looks like high frequency development is getting better with the weight advantage. 
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭

I think that  the writer of that article 'Christopher Freitas' https://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/equipment-products/how-inverters-work  is a little out of date with what is happening.

From 2015, We operate our Low Frequency OzInverter at 23.4kHz Modulation frequency, and is a H bridge configuration.  

I'd consider that a high frequency design.  You can use a transformer with a high or low frequency design.

Generally low frequency designs switch at 120Hz (like the old Trace SW series.)  The transformer then provides the voltage transformation needed to hit the right voltages at the output.  High frequency designs operate at much higher frequencies than 120Hz.  They can either use a transformer (like the old Fronius inverters that I use for my solar system) or go transformerless (like most of SMA's inverters today.)  Both transformer based designs and transformerless have pluses and minuses.
  • Abenr
    Abenr Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

In general low frequency inverters are far superior for starting difficult loads.. ie. motors.

They are usually more expensive as the transformers/ coils are much larger,so a lot more copper. Usually also a more industrial design.

In simple terms a low frequency inverter has an output impedance close to what you get from grid mains..(low)

Here is a poor but easy to understand explanation..1 gas engine 1l puts out 100hp at 6000 rpm and 100ft lb torque engine 2 is 6l and puts out 100 hp at 2000 rpm and 400ftlb torque.given identical gearboxes the #2 engine will give far better acceleration from standing start under heavy load.... its the torque that is the difference.. torque is comparable to impedance...

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    @bill von novak.  
    Technically clockmanfran's inverter is a high/low frequency design.....that is it uses high frequency electronics to drive a low frequency transformer. True low frequency inverters are obsolete, they did the switching at 60 hz.....very inefficient.  Most if not all "low frequency" inverters are really "high/low" frequency designs. It all traces back to Milt Rice and the Dynamote Brutus inverter, the first operational high/low frequency design and the roots of both MagnaSine and Outback designs.  I have two of the Brutus inverters , still operational and still in use! Will start a much larger water pump than my MagnaSine with a whopping 11,900 watt surge capability from a 3200 watt inverter! 
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • aaron3333
    aaron3333 Registered Users Posts: 1
    My name is Aaron. I use a submersible pump of 1.5 HP. This 2800wats. I have a Must PV1800 3kva inverter I have 8 pieces of  100ah Solar batteries connected. Yet the entire system shuts down when I turn on the submersible pump. Inverter displays ⚠ 72 or ⚠4 which is translated as low battery or battery bus error. 

We've worked on the batteries by tightening all terminals. Yet problem still persist. And when the sun is so high and the pump stands on for about 10 seconds, the life wire from breaker to inverter gets hotter and begin to melt. 

Please help me fix
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 #13
    What is the voltage of your battery system ? 3,000w is about 125A at 24V, so you will need some beefy #00 cables to handle it, 
     ( thats 2 ought wire  2/00    Conductor Diameter 9.26 mm  )
    48V  battery system is better, only needing 65A  That's going to need #4 wire if it's a short run, more that a foot or so, you need #2 wire
    #2  ( Conductor Diameter  6.54 mm, 0.36inch )
    #4  ( Conductor Diameter  5.18 mm  0.25inch)

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Don't even think of this at 12V, the cable size is huge, and the risk of fire is nearly certain.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,