Lithium prices falling...interesting

OldMan
OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

That is $0.187 per kiloWatt. That eventually might trickle dow to the consumer.

8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I think that is just for the "battery cycling costs"... Many people pay less than that for their entire utility bill (cost of generation + cost of storage + transmission costs = California scale utility pricing 😪).

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

Was looking at rates from state to state a few days ago:Here we find that the average state vs state costs for a kWh of electricity is .12 cents. https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/

Somehow my Florida address is also recorded to an energy hog using over 30 kWh/day. Opened that bill late at night and was not in a proper mood afterwards. This year everything seems to be flying apart by some malicious hackers design.

Of course there are also base charges. Plus I suspect some "bending of data" at times.

Solar will be multiples more expensive until we figure out installation costs and make batteries out of cheap materials like iron or salt or? Graphene makes great batteries but $$$$$$$$$$$$.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 #6

Graphene makes great batteries but $$$$$$$$$$$$

?? Graphene doesn't have the electrochemistry to make a better anode than graphite.

• softdown

All I "know" is they are calling them graphene batteries. Samsung is putting them in new smartphones. They charge in 12 minutes. This is what I have read lately.

As an aside, the lithium-ion batteries in the Nissan Leaf employ "40 kilograms" of graphite - about 88 pounds.

Graphite is the principal material of course. Seems they worked out some challenges in manufacturing graphene.

As many of know, the subject gets a bit complicated with natural vs synthetic etc.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • OldMan
    edited April 2019 #8

You really hate lithium and all who use it, don't you? Pretty small, dude.

• softdown

Jesus must be moderating this board to allow your constant and completely unscientific vitriol to be expressed again and again and again. I simply report data as it becomes available.

• BB.

Come On guys... Do I have to hang my halo in the closet and go all Prince of Darkness on everyone?

One major church fire (Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris) is enough for today.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently, one time out didn't work.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• OldMan

Bill, does this board have an ignore function? I sure would make use of it.

• BB.

Not that I am aware of...

-Bill

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Changing the subject... I think I have done 10 offgrid homes in the last 2 years with LFP batteries. I do not see any price decrease for the systems I use. I would like to see them go down, but still pretty expensive compared to FLA.

LFP is extremely expensive if it has a failure, unless there is a real good company behind the warranty.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown

Stable pricing is better than what I see with FLA batteries though. Has LFB capacity grown? Musk claims their batteries are increasing "density" by 8%/year. Pretty good really but not a total game changer.