Options
2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Grid tie inverter that does NOT feed into the grid
    XRinger wrote: »
    A. He didn't want to sent power to the grid.. (Since that would be illegal).
    I missed the part about keeping the GTI running after his house loads dropped off to low usage, and "and just throttle down"..

That was an idea that I discussed above too, by shutting down one panel at a time..

Quite a number of people ask very similar questions too. Basically they want to be able to control a GTI's output based on load demand sans utility ("the battery of endless capacity") which is similar to how an off-grid inverter works (supplying only what power is needed). This does tie in (excuse the pun) with the repeat questions about AC coupling GTI's to OGI's to increase power capacity and utilize a GT array when the utility is down.

Since all this stuff is in fact related it's not at all odd that a thread should bring up a few posts that aren't directly concerned with the original question.

Like this one, for example. :D
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    XRinger wrote: »
    Okay, from now on, I'll just read posts and resist the urge to put in my 2 cents worth..
    Besides, a lot of people have no clue about electronics. Why confuse them?

Don't do that and don't be so sensitive. :D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    Don't do that and don't be so sensitive. :D

And for heaven's sake, don't be sensitive about being called too sensitive. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I think that's about enough of that joke, guys.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Options

P1000835.jpg

I was going to do a post about wiring up 230Vac Enphase inverters using my 'No Backwards Meter Hack',
    but I can't find my wire strippers.. :confused:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"but I can't find my wire strippers.. :confused:"

hmmm. maybe they got busted and hauled away?:p

i know it was lame, but at least i'm not doing pocket protector jokes.:-) i could've really taken this into a bad area, but i must censor myself.;)
  • MegaSun
    MegaSun Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    If you do a google search then do make such units...I have to get one myself and they will work off battery power... https://www.google.com/#q=grid+tie+limiter&tbm=shop
  • XRinger
    edited September 2016 #39
    Options
    Well, these limiters weren't on the market in 2012.. This is the first one I've seen..
    Looked at the write up here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-solar-grid-tie-inverter-with-power-limiter-prevent-extra-power-to-grid-/112008512079
    And it looks a bit complex. If the input current probe measurement is not accurate, your smart meter might registered some out-going power, and set a flag.. That flag will be read, the next time the meter-reader guy drives by..

• Klaus
    Klaus Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

I'm late to the party, but one would hope that the limiter can be set such that it shuts down the inverters before the current on either leg coming in drops to zero.

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's my understanding - because of unknown measurement errors, they don't get too close to zero. How close isn't clear. For example, 1% error on 100A is 1A, so 240W of production might be wasted.

Instead of "shuts down", I'd say the inverter "reduces output".

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• XRinger
    edited March 2019 #42
    Options

I saw an adjustable output GTI that might be something I could use on my 48VDC battery bank.. I could plug it into the aux 120vac Output on the back panel of my hotwater heatpump. When it comes on, it uses about 400W, and the aux ac socket goes live. That aux 120acv could turn on the GTI and supply 300W to 350W to power heat pump. Without feeding any power out to the grid.. Maybe.. ;)