Inverter=Bought, now panels????

2»

Comments

• rdg1
    rdg1 Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭

any and all are welcome to visit...

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

How long of a drive from CA is it? I have meant to visit the Baja for years now. Perhaps even build there. Mexico has some interesting home ownership rules I think.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭

It’s 3 o at my place and snowing as usual , my solar panels have been covered with snow for ever and it seems like the sun disappeared in November and hasn’t come back 😁A trip to Mexico would be nice .

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even got a fair amount of snow in Baja this year.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• rdg1

LittleHarbor2

Wherein Baja are you.

I am in Punta Chivato.

• softdown

How is the scuba diving and sailing there? You are very close to both shallow water and deep water. Interesting.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2
    edited March 2019 #38

I'm south of San Felipe when I'm not home in the states. Did you know Mike Morse? He was a dear friend of mine. I was really bummed to find out of his passing.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown

How is the price of thick copper wires down there? Is it feasible to bring the supplies down from CA? I'm not familiar with "importing" to Mexico.

Are you planning on aluminum or iron for mounting panels? Angle iron can work well with primer and paint.

• rdg1

Yes, I knew Mike, (aka Water Dude). Did not know him well but enjoyed the times we did talk.

I also have friends in Puertocitos, (?), have driven that road to Mex 1 a couple times.

Sailing is good but for diving, I would wait until the whale sharks are in Bay of Los Angeles, and dive with them, lol.

As far as copper wire, I am sure you could find it in Mexico, but way easier to "sneak" it across the border, (like my inverter), haha.

Just completed a 20x30 garage with a flat roof. My plan is to use the slotted galvanized angle iron for mounts.

• softdown

Sorry about being so persistent here. Started reading books about Baja around 2006. I'm not particularly safe in America and thought it might be safer elsewhere. Then I eventually decided the opposite might well be true. Very long story that one.

I could not be more naive about sneaking stuff across the border. How in the world did you "sneak" a great big inverter across?

Flat roof and galvanized angle iron sound like a great start for mounting. I'd use more panels but, then again, flaunting a lot of panels in a vacation home also carries significant risk.

• littleharbor2

Here's a not great shot showing my early array on my flat garage. I have since added another bank of panels and a cedar dog eared fencing to keep the wind from lifting the whole array off the roof. I built the racking to be tiltable but have found the only time of the year I could use an angle change was Summer and Summer is really the off season down there.

• softdown
    edited March 2019 #43

Classic Jeep there lh2.

How is building code and property taxes in Mexico? I was planning on running for Congress with the proceeds from a Florida home sale. Dealing with code enforcement there, property taxes here, have shifted priorities by magnitudes. "Opening old wounds."

• littleharbor2
    edited March 2019 #44

In the area I'm located the "Campos" are owned by Mexican families. They lease lots out to people like myself. My campo is well established with about 60 -70 homes. Some campo's have only a couple homes or trailers in them. So, no property taxes. I pay $1170 a year to lease the land.

I'm sure there are building codes in the cities but out where we are it's the wild west as far as codes and inspectors go. That becomes readily apparent when you look around at the myriad of construction styles. Although we are sitting right alongside the San Andres Fault which splits the Sea of Cortez down the middle the main concern when building, I believe, is the wind. Hurricanes have been known to wobble their way into the upper Cortez but the local winds can be brutal. That is why I ended building a cedar dog eared fence around the exposed underside of my array.

The Jeep was my daily driver for over 20 years on Catalina and now has been retired to Baja. It's very happy down there.

• softdown

Super fat lag screws may offer a lot of holding power when bolts and nuts are not possible. Just tossing that out there while discussing roof attachments.

Must say that lh2 must have played his cards well to wind up on both Catalina Island and Cabo (as memory serves).

$1170/year to lease land seems a bit pricey. Must be fairly primo real estate. I may imagine they get the house when the lessee passes.

Many of us remember when Mexico was very cheap. That has changed a great deal in the more touristy areas it seems.

• littleharbor2

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• littleharbor2

$98 a month for a great large property Goes right down to the high tide and upper portion is wrapped in trees When I move down permanently I will be living like a king for very little money. Upper Cortez, South of San Felipe. Long ways from Cabo.

• softdown

Ocean front - very desirable. Good deal. How large is the lot? Have prices generally gone up a lot?

Several years ago a lot of Americans were moving to Mexico and really driving up real estate prices in some locations. Of course you know all this.

How strong do the winds get in a typical year? I can easily see 80 mph - maybe every other year. Sometimes - even higher. This winter has been quite cloudy. The weather? It changes.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

As Softdown demonstrated, this thread has been repaired and should be OK to continue posting.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    edited March 2019 #50

Want to apologize to rgd1 for pretty much hijacking this thread. I'll message softdown from here.

Thanks for getting it fixed right away.

Mike

• rdg1

No problem with the "Hijacking."

Enjoyed seeing your pics and the jeep.

I do believe I will be going with the 290w/60 cell panels. Unfortunately my wife has completely filled my Yukon so the system will have to wait stateside for a bit.

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to post their thoughts and opinions. Will keep you up to date as things progress.

• softdown

UHaul may offer exceptional rates on motorcycle trailers. I paid just $15/day in S Florida last month.

• rdg1

U-haul is not a big fan of taking their equipment into Mexico, hahaha

• softdown

Been reading that Mexico does not like to see a great deal of material brought through. Makes it look like stuff may be for resale apparently. No guns and "eh - maybe not" on pets. Or maybe you just need all the papers? Being/knowing a pilot would be so handy at times.

We really jacked Mexico when we managed to equip their drug runners with better equipment than the police have. Not convinced that was a "mistake". But I digress. I get Mexico fever then reality sets in.....again.

Sure hope OP keeps us updated...

• littleharbor2

They've always been more than fair with me while crossing the border. They will tax you 17% for construction materials and 95% for more than a 12 pack of beer. Personal belongings they don't care to much about. Never once been asked for paperwork on the dogs.

• softdown

17% is a lot of tax. How are construction materials "down there?" I would certainly hope that cement would be quite reasonable. 17% makes a trailer a lot more attractive.

Why would someone bring beer into Mexico? They have great beer there. Though I quit buying beer - makes old guys pee to often it seems. I do a little legal kratom for high stress. Is kratom legal? You may not know...

• softdown

We also have about 2 million "bureaucrats" that habituate the right end of Uncle Sams financial spigot. They are instructed to "keep the herd here". More or less.

• littleharbor2

There are very good building supplies in town. Fresh straight lumber evert type of hardware you could ever need, etc. The owner is constantly checking Home depot's prices and really does well in coming close. Impressive when you think about it. Of course there is everything in the masonry world available.

I just used a 12 pack as an example. I do prefer Coors light so I bring my own. Funny thing is they now make Coors light in Mexico too. Anything over 1 1/2 liter of liquor will get taxed.

• Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Hi again RGD,

Im the one who has used a FP1 for 6yrs, similar set up, similar loads (even the inverter fridge).

I have 12 ~230watt 60 cell panels. I see a max of around 103v at the charge controller (I have 4 strings of 3 panels per string).

I would say you need a minimum of 2,000 watts, but I recommend ~ 2,500 watts, for rainy days. I also agree with BB on the size of your bank (around 350-400 amp hrs). You want to be generously paneled, and have enough bank so that you dont drop below 75% SOC, even on rainy days.

The only minor issue, perhaps, of going with a 60cell panel is that if your CC died you would need another MPPT controller replacement. With a 48v based system you really cant go PWM conveniently with 60 cell panels. As McGivor indicates, if you had 72 cell panels you could use a basic PWM backup controller (easier to obtain in Baja I would imagine) in a pinch.

Hope that helps. Im no expert but I have had a few years with this set up.

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.