Mounting system for metal roof that that screws down to the battern

Hi, all. I have a costumer who have a new trapezoidal metal roof, in this situation I would normaly sugest a standard mounting system that only needs screws mounted in the actual metall sheet. Like renusol, novotegra, k2 and Schletter all have standard solutions for. but the costumer says i wouldent be able to sleep if the panels are not fastend in the underconstruction. To mount with stock screw/ hangebolt is not an option becouse the rafters are only 45 mm thick. I would like to have verical rails that can be screwed down in to the batterns ( witch are 60 cm apart) for horizontaly placed panels. Anyone who knows such mounting system in Europe? I am based in Sweden by the way

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

In my own case, I'm constructing a unistrut solar frame for a metal roof. My solution is to mount 30cm unistrut sections directly onto the metal surface, held to the roof with at least 4 roofing screws. A machine bolt per section is bolted to the actual frame. So, the short sections allow 4 times as many screws per position than actually directly screwing the frame itself to the roof.

I came up with this design because of the high winds my cabin is subjected to. In the past, the metal roofing has been ripped off, simply peeling the metal away, leaving the screws imbedded in the sheathing wood.

System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

Are you using Aluminum Unistrut? If not I would provide some insulation between dissimilar metals to reduce galvanic corrosion.

8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

I am unaware that they even made unistruts out of aluminum. All I've ever seen are ones made of plain steel or galvanized. For my own frames, I've used galvanized, which were carefully washed with degreaser, before painting. The frames on ground mounts already have had a couple of years of trouble-free service.

BTW, if you want to weld galvanized, you must be very careful not to breath any of the welding fumes (well you shouldn't anyway), because inhailed zinc vapor is very toxic.

System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it is technically Unistrut but I bought some aluminum and stainless steel strut from McMaster-Carr. It is the same shape and the fasteners fit.

8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019 #6

Aluminum and stainless are available from Unistrut, usually special order,, I've used stainless in a salt water aquaculture facility, it's not cheap.though.

https://www.unistrutohio.com/stainless-steel-unistrut

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.