Bass Pro Shops XPS Power Series 12-Volt Marine Deep-Cycle 175 Battery

vickers
vickers Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭

Good Evening,

I wanted to get a better battery to go with my Renogy 50 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit and just purchased a Bass Pro Shops XPS Power Series 12-Volt Marine Deep-Cycle 175 Battery from Cabela's. There is some missing and conflicting information and I was hoping you could help me better understand so I do not trash this battery.

First, what kind of battery is this? The label and product description are lacking details. I know it is flooded and a deep cycle, but that is about it.

Second, under the product questions section of the product page, Bass Pro Shops representatives indicate this battery will periodically need to be refilled with distilled water. However, I do not see the traditional caps on the battery, or see where water would go in. Does this truly need water?

Third, I "upgraded" to a PowMr Solar Charge Controller 20 amp and the default battery type is 601. Is this the correct setting for my new battery? Of course, the instructions are crap on this thing.

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance. 

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The battery is a compromise between a true deep cycle and starting lighting ( automotive battery ) not the best at either but adequate under some circumstances. The electrolyte access will be under the two rectangular blocks on top, pry them off to reveal 3 cell filling holes.

True deep cycle batteries will have fewer but thicker plates within the cells designed for long slow discharge, usually rated at a 20 hour rate. Starting lighting batteries have more plates to provide high current discharge for short periods of time with immediate recharge, usually rated in cold cranking amps, CCA

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #3

The charge controller specifications are vague, no mention of battery type or charging voltage, there is mention of equalization voltage of 14.4V adjustable, however this would be an approximate charging voltage for a flooded lead-acid battery, depending on temperature. No manual that I can find, so no comment, other than to say it may not fit the requirements, having it in hand is vastly different to looking at Amazon advertising. Having said that I do have a controller worth half the price which has worked flawlessly for over 3 years connected to a 12V 200Ah deep cycle flooded lead acid battery, using a 80W panel, used solely to power a 1000W espresso machine, via a 12VDC -120VAC 2000W inverter, used once a day. The regulation voltage is 14.56V, it is a don't care if it fails application, as it's the only 120V load I have, but it is amazingly reliable, now that I've said that it will probably fail tomorrow😂 but I don't care.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • vickers
    vickers Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭

That seems to be a recurring theme among these charge controllers... Vague instructions. Thank you.