help with setting up a genset to autostart with 3 wire

Options
alexm
alexm Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi
   I have an off-grid solar panel system, with a 48 volt inverter and 4 deep cycle batteries rated 200 ah each

I have a genset that can be started with a key, electronically, it has 3 positions off, on and start

My inverter has an option to start a genset when the voltage in batteries drops under a set value, and stop it when it raises above a set value, it has 3 wire connectors, nc, c and no

the gen set unfortunately does not has auto start option, I didn't found any gensets with autostart options here in Europe where I live, so I need to use a module to autostart the genset based on the 3 wires start from the inverted

I have unscrewed the genset key start contact, and it has about 2 red wires on one side and 5 other wires on an other side, can anyone recommend some way to connect the 3 wires to my genset to have it start?
    Either an auto start module that I can buy or some scheme of relays that I can connect ?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless there is a very good reason, my opinion is its better to manually start and stop the generator. Unless the generator is specifically designed to monitor itself, auto start opens the door potential problems, especially in the absence of the operator. 

Without wiring diagrams of the generator it's impossible to know what goes where on your particular generator . Attached is a auto start module description with diagrams hope this helps. NEVER be tempted to wite directly into the starting circuit without some sort of interface.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been using a GSCM-Mini to AGS my system for 4.5 years with no significant problem.  

THe only thing you have to figure out is the choke.  Most 3-wire gensets have a manual choke that you have to flip to get the genny to start.  

I am using the cheap HF 8750W gennies since they are $600 and last a couple years and then need to be rebuilt. (very dusty here and the rings go and they burn oil but still make power fine).

My solution initially was to use a solenoid and spring setup to manually hold the choke closed while cranking (tied to the starter circuit). That worked but the solenoid was too strong and broke the lever (plastic...oops).

So my new solution that I have been using for 3 years now is a propane start.  I got a 12v propane valve and connected it to a 20lb tank.  I plumbed it into the airbox of the genny.  I created my own orifice by plugging up a barb connector with JB-weld and then drilling a small hole through it.  

Genny starts like a dream.  As soon as the GSCM-MINI sees AC voltage, it stops cranking and the propane shuts off.  Been thinking of building kits for people, but don't have the startup capital.  If you want/need more detail, I can write it up and take some pics.  I even hid the GSCM-mini in a project box and added switches and status LEDs and an emergency shutdown switch.