Internal ambient heat after panel installation.

The bus I live in is aluminium bodied, which means I have had issues previous with ambient heat, often it being 2-3 degrees warmer inside than out.
What I would like to know is if any others have any knowledge on how the sun heat might be either be reflected down on the roof and perhaps even amplified when energising a panel, or if that excess energy is reflected away from the panel and into the atmosphere. 
And if you have had issues, how the problem might be mitigated. 
Since installing the panels it sure feels warmer inside the bus than it used to.
The panels are elevated off the roof by about an inch or so.
760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter. 
Tagged:

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you are feeling the effect of needing to park in the sun.   PV panels shade roofs and reduce heat under them, look at any of the old Land Rovers, with a double roof.  Aluminum in the shade is not as hot as aluminum in the sun.  Maybe more than one inch would improve cooling, but would also add much more wind load when driving the rig.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmoloud
    stmoloud Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    I suspect you are feeling the effect of needing to park in the sun.   PV panels shade roofs and reduce heat under them, look at any of the old Land Rovers, with a double roof.  Aluminum in the shade is not as hot as aluminum in the sun.  Maybe more than one inch would improve cooling, but would also add much more wind load when driving the rig.
    Thanks mike that's good to know. Just my imagination playing tricks, I'll just have to suffer it!
    The bus is not being driven but in any case the panels are reducing the heat so that's a good plus.
    760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,573 admin
    My home attic (asphalt shingle, wood underlayment) was much cooler after I had solar panels installed. I would guess that any shading on your bus will be a big help to keep it cooler during the day.

It is also possible the panels may help reduce heat loss at night... If you notice, during winter frosts, you get the frost on lawns/items under open sky. Take much more of a freeze to get frost/frozen ponds under trees/etc.

If you have access to an IR Thermometer, Compare the aluminum skin temperature under the panels vs under open sun.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmoloud
    stmoloud Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Thanks Bill maybe I ought to put more panels on the roof.
    Don't tempt me, I'm easily persuaded.