Click PLC meets off grid...Improvement ideas?

Options
So I've been working on creating more and more automation and simplification of my system that is powering my parents due to the fact that I have moved out of state for work....my goal is to have everything automated and hassle free for them.  To assist with this I added a PLC and made it handle many things automatically.

My question for you guys is how can I better improve this system for them.  I have a video below showing what I already have setup, but wish to make it as simple and hassle free as possible. (Needless to say they still have flooded batteries, but I visit every couple weeks and check all the electrolyte levels for them)

https://youtu.be/swYNFeIBuiA

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019 #2
    Options
    Many are probably thinking more automation means more complexity, but being a fan of automation I understand where you're coming from. One thing with logic circuitry is it often needs confirmation to ensure that what is supposed to happen has actually happened. An  example of this is commonly used in HVAC control, an auxillary contact on a motor contactor is used to prove the motor is running, but in reality it only proves the contactor has operated. To prove the motor is in fact running, a current transformer, CT, is utilized on the motor feeders to provide a confirmation there is current flow, naturally this requires a second input, which adds to complexity but also safety in some circumstances.

When designing interface  communications between different systems, wiring diagrams are extremely useful to be able to trouble shoot at a later date, additionally numbering conductors is extremely helpful, especially with like colour insulation is used, knowing wire # X is supposed to be on input terminal Y is extremely helpful, if not for the installer, for the next person who may need to decipher how it was wired.

Just a couple of comments perhaps worth pondering.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.