Backup battery charger

jtdiesel65
jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
Hi,
I want to setup a back up battery charger system. I have a 12k propane generator hooked up to dual xantrex 4048 xw. All setup for 240 charging. I'm off grid. I would want to use one or two eu2000 generators since I already have them. I have two with the crossover cable, but if possible I would like to use only one. Although one may not provide enough charge rate. The battery is ~1000ah forklift battery,  The idea here is strictly backup in case the propane genset dies.

I'm thinking an additional charger rather than having a switch to toggle generator inputs to the xw due to the propane being wired for 240 and the hondas only 120. Seems simpler to just use an additional charger.

Anyway, any recommendations for charging hardware? Do any of the chargers like iota allow you to throttle back charging output in order to limit load on the gen sets? Seems like most are meant to be used for on grid applications where charging source comes from the grid.

thx

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the eu2000 can just barely power the larger Iotas.  Mine has poor power factor, which further reduces the load the generator can carry.   I used an eu2000 with a autotransformer to get 240V for my inverter/charger, it carried my base loads and had enough left over for a little bit of charging.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,