EPEVER 30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Tracer A 3210AN Set up

rmk818
rmk818 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am in dire need for help: I have 2 (6v) GC-2 interstate batteries that I am using with the  EPEVER 30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Tracer A 3210AN. I have the controller set up as follows: 
Current Setup       Needed Setup
Boost Duration (minutes) 180
Equalize Duration (minutes) 120
Temp.Compensation Coefficient -3
Over Voltage Disconnect volts (v) 16
Over Voltage Reconnect volts (v) 14.9
Equalize Charging Volts (v) 15.6
Boost Charging Volts (v) 14.46
Float Charging Volts (v) 13.4
Boost Reconnect Charge Volts (v) 13.2
Charging Limit Voltage (v) 14.9
Discharging Limit Voltage (v) 10.6
Low Voltage Disconnect Volts (v) 11.1
Low Voltage Reconnect Volts (v) 12.6
Under Voltage Warning Volts (v) 12.4
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage (v) 12.2

Is this the best way to have the controller set up? (The two solar panels are 165 W, 12volt in Parallel) 

Interstate Battery states the following:
Charging Current-C/10
Bulk Charge Voltage-14.46
Absorption Voltage -15.3
Float Voltage -13.4
Equalization Voltage-15.6

Thank you for any assistance.
Two 6 volt GC2 batteries (205 AH), 12 volt 2000 W Xantrex pure sine inverter, two 165 w 12v panels;  EPEVER 30A (Tracer A 3210AN) MPPT Solar Charge Controller 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    RMK,

Welcome to the forum.

I am guessing that these are Flooded Cell Lead Acid batteries? As always, start with the Mfg. specifications, start there.

Boost Duration (minutes)180

Sort of depends on how deeply discharged your battery bank is... 2-6 hours (in winter, the sun will usually go down before timing out). Get a good quality hydrometer and measure the specific gravity of the cells as you charge and equalize. This will tell you how well you are charging your battery bank.

Temp.Compensation Coefficient-3

Is this -3 mVolt per degree C per Cell? Typically it is -5 mVolt for flooded cell lead acid.

Boost Charging Volts (v)14.46

For flooded cell batteries, typically start with 14.75 volts or so (14.8 volts). Monitoring bubbling of battery bank and water usage + hydrometer readings will tell you how things are going... If you have to add water every 1 month or less, crank back on charging voltage. If you have to add water every 6 months or longer between watering, crank the voltage up.

Boost Reconnect Charge Volts (v)13.2

You might want to crank that down to 12.6 volts or so... You do want to cycle the battery a bit... Not keep recharging it to 100% every day.

Low Voltage Disconnect Volts (v)11.1

Suggest trying to raise that to 11.5 volts (depends on your loads). 11.5 to 12.0 volts under some loading is closer to 50% discharge. You do not want to go below 50% SoC very often (for longer battery cycle life).

When you Equalize, watch the current and gassing... 5% rate of charge is usually enough (5% * 200 AH = 10 Amps EQ). Even 2.5% can work fine. You want the battery "fizzing", not a rolling boil (heavy gassing). Also watch battery temperature--Extended EQ times can overheat the batteries.

Your rate of charge with solar is roughly:
    • 2 * 165 Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 17.5 Amps
    Pretty close to a typical 200 AH * 10% = 20 amp rate of charge for "golf cart" batteries.

One other question, Your MPPT controller should have a Vpanel maximum input voltage of 100 VDC.

For your MPPT Controller, you would generally put your two solar panels in series for Vmp-array~36 volts. For several reasons, this is usually the better configuration for MPPT type charge controllers.

Good luck,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rmk818
    Bill, thank you for the information.  I will run the two identical panels in series but would like to add an additional 12v - 100 Watt panel parallel (Only when the roof panels are shaded) . in essence it would be one 24 volt string and one 12 volt string.  Is this possible or will it cause damage? 
    Two 6 volt GC2 batteries (205 AH), 12 volt 2000 W Xantrex pure sine inverter, two 165 w 12v panels;  EPEVER 30A (Tracer A 3210AN) MPPT Solar Charge Controller 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding a single 12v panel in parallel with a 24v string on a single MPPT controller isn't wise, IMHO. 

A better way would be to put the 12v panel on it's own small PWM controller (which should be pretty cheap).  Having two controllers feeding the bank is fine.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Put the three panels in one series string... If one is shaded, the other two will work (mostly). However, if two panels are shaded, the array will probably output close to nothing.

Shading is an array killer... If there is only room for one "mostly shade free panel", as Estragon says, a second PWM controller would probably be a better choice for the 3rd panel.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • OldMan
    OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Estragon said:
    Adding a single 12v panel in parallel with a 24v string on a single MPPT controller isn't wise, IMHO. 

A better way would be to put the 12v panel on it's own small PWM controller (which should be pretty cheap).  Having two controllers feeding the bank is fine.
    It should be noted an adequate PWM controller will set you back a glorious 10 dollars.
  • rmk818
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I have another rookie question.  My panels will be located about 25 feet away and 15 feet above the controller. Should I put the panels in Serial closer to the panels or near the controller? Doesn't putting them in serial closer to the controller require me to run heavier gauge wire? I was going to use 6 Gauge (4 wires-2 pos and 2 neg). Will this work or is it better to combine and then run only two 6 gauge wires? The system is as follows: Two 6 volt GC2 batteries (205 AH), 12 volt 2000 W Xantrex pure sine inverter, and  two 165 w 12v panels).
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When panels are in series voltage increases current remains the same, when in parallel current increases voltage remains the same.
    Conductors are sized according to current, so series connected will require a smaller gauge than parallel, length comes into the equation because of voltage drop, using a voltage drop calculator is very helpful in determining what gauge is needed, the percentage drop should be less than 3%, the lower the better. Use the calculator input the series sum, single panel VMP multiplied by number in string and IMP of a single panel. The larger the gauge number, the smaller the crossectional area.

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.