Xantrex C-Series Charge Control Temperature/Voltage Adjustment

YostFMX
YostFMX Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
I have a C60 and never understood the 2008 manual (maybe they updated it) when it has to do with the bulk and float voltage pot adjusters. They give a chart to adjust them for battery temperature change up or down based off of 77 degrees F being (0.0) but what is the 77F default setting? Is it right in the middle of the high and low settings at 13.5 pointing horizontal!? Same question for the battery temperature Sensor (BTS) I'm going to buy soon, says to set the knobs for 77F (0.0) on the temp chart and plug it in, but what is that default setting in volts on the knob!? Someone please help, been using for 10 years guessing.

3 panel, 4 GC batteries in 12v configuration.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The 77°F setting is what the battery manufacturer recommeds at that temperature, if no remote temperature sensor is used the voltage must be increased manually according to the chart, higher for colder, lower for higher ambient temperatures. When a RTS is installed the voltage set-points would be for the nominal 77°F, the charging voltages will adjust automatically depending on battery temperature, a more accurate and dynamic method.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • YostFMX
    I get that, but what is the set point for 77F? It doesn't tell you what that voltage setting is. So I have no starting point... If someone could tell me what voltage setting I should have for 77F I'd be all set. 
  • YostFMX
  • YostFMX
  • YostFMX
  • YostFMX
    These are the images they show but never say if all the way horizontal is 77F setting or what? And the image of the bulk way up it doesn't explain why they show those in those positions :-/
  • mcgivor
    In the last image those would be appropriate settings for a flooded GC 12V battery at 77°F, AGM would be slightly lower on bulk, can you confirm battery type?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • YostFMX
    I don't know what "flooded" means or "AGM". I have cheap lead acid Energizer Costco golf cart batteries. So if I were to manually change the voltage for colder temperatures I would change the float and bulk both? The bulk wouldn't have much room to go higher...
  • YostFMX
  • YostFMX
    I guess "typical bulk and float setpoints for batteries" and "Default setting (knobs at 9 o'clock)" is the 77F set points?
  • mcgivor
    YostFMX said:
    I don't know what "flooded" means or "AGM". I have cheap lead acid Energizer Costco golf cart batteries. So if I were to manually change the voltage for colder temperatures I would change the float and bulk both? The bulk wouldn't have much room to go higher...
    YostFMX said:
    I guess "typical bulk and float setpoints for batteries" and "Default setting (knobs at 9 o'clock)" is the 77F set points?

Flooded batteries have removable caps with liquid electrolyte, AGM will have non removable caps (sealed ) with a paste electrolyte Absorbed in a Glass Mat between the plates. The settings are important because the higher voltage needed for flooded will damage AGM, though I suspect yours are flooded. The default settings at 9 o'clock are just the position the pots are as shipped, not any particular setpoint, they have to be positioned according to the battery type and charging requirements. Manually changing settings to compensate for temperature can be problematic as the room temperature can vary from the actual battery temperature, I would highly recommend using a remote temperature sensor attached to the battery, preferably between the two with some insulation such as styrofoam, this will allow the controller to automatically modulate voltage as required, without human intervention.

So if the batteries have removable caps set bulk at 14.8V, float at 13.5V, this would be a good general setting for 77°F,  Energizer batteries I believe are made by Johnson Controls ask Costco for the material safty data sheet (MSDS) this will state the manufacturer,  from there the exact  settings can be aquired. Always verify the voltage with a digital voltmeter, don't assume the settings will be 100%accurate.

If you choose to manually adjust temperature compensation refer to Table 2-2 page 35 of the manual 

Some reading material about different types of lead acid batteries https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/5-battery-types-explained-sealed-agm-gel.html
  • YostFMX
    Thanks I ordered a battery temperature sensor and will check and set to 13.5 and 14.8 for the BTS.