Outback VFX3524 question?

ligwyd
ligwyd Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭
A friend of mine has the Outback VFX3524 Inverter and has had his solar panels stolen and is in the process of getting new panels installed.
He tried to charge his batteries with his generator the other day but the inverter would not let any charge through to the batteries. Is this possibly because there are no panels currently hooked up or maybe because the LBCO of 50V has long been passed with no panels to charge the batteries? Also is there a link to the user manual for this inverter somewhere?
Appreciate any support that may be avail. through this forum.
Thank you

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the installation manual for a start, make sure all connections are correct, the absence of PV input should not have an effect on AC charging, the LBCO shouldn't be an issue, but I have not read the manual.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LBCO could definitely be an issue, as the inverter won't boot with very low Vbatt even if there's good ACin.  In a similar situation a few yrs ago I used an automotive charger powered by generator AC attached to a 12v segment of the 48v bank to get Vbatt up past LBCO.

There isn't a ton of power between LBCO and dead, so it didn't take long to get up to LBCO.  Not something you want to do regularly, but it worked in a pinch.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • ligwyd
    I was doing some reading last night and learned just what you are saying Estragon. Thank you.
    The V is so low that nothing will power up so I need to get the V up before anything will work. makes sense.
    This post suggested gator clipping the PV + and Battery + together at the charge controller and directly feeding the batteries straight from PV (at your own risk of course). Don't see why it wouldn't work in a pinch if done properly (if this can be considered proper :)
    We don't have much sun now so might have to disconnect the batteries and charge them up with a 12V battery charger to get them up enough to turn on equip and then continue charging them as a bank with the generator and then get the panels installed.
    Thanks guys.
    I'll post when its up and running.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't bother disconnecting the bank.  I just attached the 12v charger clips to a 12v segment (2 of the 6v L16s, in my case).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • ligwyd
    If it works without disconnecting the batteries then I'll try that for sure. I just thought it would be proper to charge each battery individually without any other batteries attached. Give er a shot! :)