Schneider tech support gone? Just went live with Schneider 6848 dual XW+, Li-Ion, 10kw array,

jpederse98
jpederse98 Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
First post, new system, 35+ year electrical engineer.

My boss and I bought almost identical Schneider systems from Northern Az Wind and Sun and James was great through the sales process. Even purchased $15k 900ah 48V Li-ion batteries from Iron Edison through James and I can't say enough good things about Rhodes over there. BUT apparently within the last 30-45 days, Schneider solar has transitioned their tech support to a website for any an all inquiries on the Conext line of products for Commerical or Residential use according to their tech support phone line.

This has been horrible. The responses I get are usually at 2AM so it's probably coming out of France, the english isn't very good so apparently it's not their tech supports first language and it is almost impossible to get through a thought with them in a single email which of course is 1/day. I've had a DOA green display panel on one of the two 6848's and it took forever but I finally got them to issue an RMA and they quickly closed the ticket. A couple of weeks later (just 3 days ago) a freight truck pulled up to my rural house with a very confused driver telling me I have a 150lb pallet that I need to unload. Apparently they shipped me a whole 6848 unit for what could have been shipped in a padded envelope. James said I should have kept it but I'm trying to do the right thing and I refused the shipment and am trying to get them to send just the display board for the 6848. I may regret sending that $3000+ inverter back to them and could have just salvaged the board and kept the rest as spare parts.

Has anyone else gotten any decent tech support from Schneider Solar recently? I've been posting how horrible this is on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn and have had a couple of the marketing people direct message me asking me to send my contact information and they would get me in touch with the right people but of course none of that ever happened either.

Open to Suggestions

John
John

<div><i>9600W, 32 300W Canadian Solar panels on Schletter Ground Mount, Midnight Solar birdhouse rapid shut down, 
2xSchneider MPPT80 600V,&nbsp;</i><i>2xSchnieder 6848 XW+ inverters, 900ah 48V Li-Ion Iron Edison battery, 20kW Generac propane 
whole home generator, 2xGenerac 200A auto transfer </i><i>switches on 400A 120/240 split single phase service from 25kw grid transformer</i></div>
Tagged:

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably would have kept the incoming, as the RMA was likely done for the whole unit.  I get that a board swap may make more sense, but it's possible something external to the board is the root cause, and swapping the whole unit may have seemed the fastest and easiest way to get you lit.

No phone support is unfortunate... it might have been possible to sort it over the phone while the truck was there.  Anyway, assuming the unit is on the way back (not available for redelivery), I'd try (re)opening a support ticket.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • jpederse98
    jpederse98 Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Since I have 2 of the 6848's and one of the options during installation is to substitute the SCP into the front panel of the 6848, that is how I am currently operating. It's just 4 screws and an RJ-45 jack to swap out (I did swap with the other unit and the problem moved with the display board) and yes I know you have to move the other end of the cable from one RJ-45 jack to the other jack when you put the SCP in the front panel. The SCP is working fine on the front of the 6848 but I would like to have the green current display in both of the units and the SCP mounted elsewhere. I can live like this but I would like to have the option for both units to have their local displays.
    John

<div><i>9600W, 32 300W Canadian Solar panels on Schletter Ground Mount, Midnight Solar birdhouse rapid shut down, 
    2xSchneider MPPT80 600V,&nbsp;</i><i>2xSchnieder 6848 XW+ inverters, 900ah 48V Li-Ion Iron Edison battery, 20kW Generac propane 
    whole home generator, 2xGenerac 200A auto transfer </i><i>switches on 400A 120/240 split single phase service from 25kw grid transformer</i></div>
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe this thread is accurate.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcnutt13579
    mcnutt13579 Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Confirmed, they tell you to punch a bunch of buttons and then eventually read you a web form to go to.

We were "this close" to jumping over to Schneider for our customers, because the buzz was their support has improved from years past when it was terrible.

Well I guess they got tired of that and went back to their old ways.

Hope Midnite gets their inverter product out soon is all I can say.
  • Dave Angelini
    It is not coming out of France but Burnaby Canada their Solar division. You do get voice support once you have a number and this was too help the people who could not call from places where telephone costs were high or non existent. Saves money also.

The new Conext Gateway will also allow support directly into your system if you allow them.

As an Installer just register and you will be supported. I just got off the phone for a job I am doing.

• Estragon
    Sounds like the issue is likely just with the display, in which case maybe you can insist on getting the display only RMA'd?  

I've found front line support at larger orgs are often only able to offer scripted/flowchart solutions to more common situations.  It may help to escalate the issue to the next support tier in the hope they can apply an unconventional solution, and send just the board?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My ongoing case submitted initially in June 2017, still without resolution ended with support closing the case yesterday. During this time there were delays of up to 3 months in simply getting a response to an email, the reasons explained were a changes in their system. Not being satisfied with the individual I was dealing with, I requested being put in contact with someone higher on the totem pole, that never happened. For a global company they should be able to support customers regardless of location, if local support cannot resolve an issue they, as the support team in Canada, should take control of a situation.

The reasons for choosing Schneider in the first place was to be supported, clearly this is only an allusion depicted in promotional videos. Perhaps some have preferential treatment with inside contacts, good for them, but the others who suffer the lack of support will voice opinions publicly, which is more damaging to the company than they apparently realize.

All my issues can apparently be resolved by a firmware update but a the equipment was delivered with firmware 3 revisions old, customer care tells me to contact the vendor, vendor says I need a ComBox which they can supply for US.$700, I responded saying they are inflating the price adding it's their responsibility to supply equipment with current firmware installed, they cease all communication. Customer care says they can't help without a ComBox hense contacting tech support who after 18 months tell me to go back where I started, local customer care.

The equipment itself is excellent, price is reasonable without considering the "optional equipment " which are required to actually use some devices such as inverters, in my opinion the ability to program and update firmware should be included. Some communication with tech support has been excellent, however it's the inconsistency that would prevent future dealings with Schneider, certainly  wouldn't consider basing a business using their equipment without some sort of gaurentee of support, preferably in writing.

All opinions are based on personal experience, others may have significantly better results.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Although unstated, I assume this is a case of something glitchy in a new install (not a feature later made available for new installs which you wanted for an old install).

Many jurisdictions have laws to the effect of requiring general merchantability / fitness for purpose as an implicit warranty in addition to any explicit warranty (or exclusions).  If the local vendor sold product which, by having outdated firmware, wasn't fit for purpose, maybe you have recourse through a small claims or similar action?

If I was in Schneiders shoes, I'd probably drop or threaten to drop the vendor as an authorized dealer, and either send you a loaner combox or pay someone else to solve the problem as a goodwill gesture.  Dealers in lots of businesses can be greedy, but charging 3-4x for a combox to hold your inverter essentially for ransom is over the line IMHO.
    Off-grid.  
  • Dave Angelini
    mcgivor, I will lend you a combox or a config tool which is easier to install firmware on.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the offer Dave, the shipping costs would probably be outrageous though, I've submitted another request for assistance, but I'm guessing the holidays will delay a response.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Good Guess!  Most will not be back until after the 7th. Nice that the days are getting longer :)
     Below is Gateway build #69 which is almost ready for the market. Still need to get rid of that grid phantom....