Schneider Electric Conext Combox Not Reporting MPPT60-150 Output/Input Value Parameters

neutronspin
neutronspin Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭
My Combox started to fail to report the MPPT60-150 Controllers output or input readings.  Both Controllers are being recognized by the Combox but none of the values from the device are showing up on the application or on the SCP (System Control Panel).  Also no solar logging or output recorded.  I checked the firmware for the Combox and both controllers are up to date.  The local indications on the controllers are working fine.  I can talk to the devices through the Xanbus network but it is not reporting values from the device.  I replaced all Ethernet cables with new ones.  The rest of my system is reporting fine through my network.  Any info appreciated.

System:
Array.......24- 300 Watt Mission Solar MSE300SQST Modules @ 7.2Kw total 8-strings
Midnite Solar Rapid 8 position shutdown Combiner with Birdhouse
2- Schneider Electric MPPT60-150 Charge Controllers
2- Schneider Electric SW-4048 Inverters running in stacked config with one dead inverter off-line
Schneider Conext Battery Monitor
Schneider ComBox
Schneider SCP
SW DC Switchgear
SW AC Switchgear
Gen Transfer Switch
430Ah 48 volt flooded battery bank
7kw Genset

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this happened over several days, or just one day ?
    Is the combox connected to the global internet, or just a local network ?  There is one setting where it wants to talk to a server somewhere, and eventually, fills the memory up with error files.  That happened to me, since I do not have internet on the combox.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• neutronspin
    edited December 2018 #3
    mike95490 said:
    Has this happened over several days, or just one day ?
    Is the combox connected to the global internet, or just a local network ?  There is one setting where it wants to talk to a server somewhere, and eventually, fills the memory up with error files.  That happened to me, since I do not have internet on the combox.
    Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  I do not have my ComBox connected to the internet.  I did some searching and there have been issues with the device internal memory getting filled up and not wrapping new data into it.  It was supposed to be fixed with the new firmware.  I will try to see if I can figure out what to do but I opened a case with Schneider Electric and they are supposed to get back with me.  I made a mistake in investing in their Conext System.  It seems they have buggy firmware and of course it is outdated and their interface is terrible.  As stand alone it isn't too bad but as a whole I am disappointed.
  • mike95490
      It seems they have buggy firmware and of course it is outdated and their interface is terrible.  As stand alone it isn't too bad but as a whole I am disappointed.
    I'll agree the interface is clunky.  Everything else, I'll disagree with you on.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• neutronspin
    edited December 2018 #5
    mike95490 said:
      It seems they have buggy firmware and of course it is outdated and their interface is terrible.  As stand alone it isn't too bad but as a whole I am disappointed.
    I'll agree the interface is clunky.  Everything else, I'll disagree with you on.

mike95490 said:

Perhaps I am being too harsh on them.  I have had a ComBox failure which they did replace and now an inverter failure which hopefully they will replace as well.  They could use a refresh of their interface but when it works it does the job perfectly.  I notice you have the Data Push disabled.  I checked my parameter and it was enabled.  I am going to see if that caused the problem.  They have a procedure that clears it from the device.  Maybe that was my problem.  I unchecked both boxes and will try to clear the data.  And it has been pushing data to Insight.....my bad.  Thank you for the help and will try my best to see if I can fix it.....thanks again....
  • mike95490
    edited December 2018 #6
    Since my combox is not the web, data push fails and logs an error (silently).  a year of that, and there's no more RAM left

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that filling nvram or whatever because there's no log rolling/clearing is a bug that really ought to be squished in a FW update, even for an older product.  Just MHO though.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The user does have to enable the data push, it is not by default.    ;)

The combox will be replaced with the context gateway down the road.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• neutronspin
    edited December 2018 #9
    The user does have to enable the data push, it is not by default.    ;)

The combox will be replaced with the context gateway down the road.
    Hello Dave,

I have tried clearing the ComBox memory as shown in the User Manual,  installed latest firmware, replaced all Ethernet cables on the Xanbus network and the problem still exists.  I sent the information Schneider requested  via my case number and I received a reply today.  Now they indicate they may replace my MPPT60-150 charge controllers.  I indicated there were two in my original correspondence and they implied there was only one.  For the life of me I don't know why both controlllers are the cause of the problem.  I will patiently wait and see what the resolution is.  They requested the usual information....proof of purchase, etc..

I am beginning to think that they are going to make the ComBox a legacy product and they don't care about existing users.  They keep "upgrading" poor designs like the new XP+ Pro to replace existing models as with the XP and XP+ line of inverters.  Poor business in my opinion.....but it does sell more product.

I am beginning to think that their tech support is either overwhelmed or contracted out to a third world country....very disappointed.  I am an Electrical Engineer and have worked in the Nuclear Power industry for years and never had this much trouble in getting proper technical support with a product from a large company such as Schneider Electric.  Sorry but having two failures on my system and receiving less than decent support has me a little upset.  I am sure this will eventually be resolved or I may move to a different system.  Thank you for your support on here.....
  • Dave Angelini
    Well I disagree with you about Schneider.  They are trying to help. How do they know what you have done to this equipment. Do you have SPD's? surges, etc. Why is a combox problem a big deal to you? Use the SCP until they fix it or fix it yourself. Enjoy life offgrid and don't let the computer stuff get in the way of life. My opinion only.

I tell my clients to plan for problems by having spares to troubleshoot. It is funny to me that the act of having spares seems to avoid problems. Schneider Equipment is very reliable in my opinion, the best. I use XW's and there are hardware differences that make the models different. They are the same size physically and bullet proof reliable.

You are welcome! Good Luck.

• neutronspin
    Well I disagree with you about Schneider.  They are trying to help. How do they know what you have done to this equipment. Do you have SPD's? surges, etc. Why is a combox problem a big deal to you? Use the SCP until they fix it or fix it yourself. Enjoy life offgrid and don't let the computer stuff get in the way of life. My opinion only.

I tell my clients to plan for problems by having spares to troubleshoot. It is funny to me that the act of having spares seems to avoid problems. Schneider Equipment is very reliable in my opinion, the best. I use XW's and there are hardware differences that make the models different. They are the same size physically and bullet proof reliable.

You are welcome! Good Luck.
    I have SPD's on the AC and DC side of the system.  This system was installed according to their specifications and did perform well in the beginning.  I am not blaming Schneider and am not obsessed with the ComBox issue.  It has been replaced once under warantee and has performed well since.  The fault is within one or both Controllers not reporting the values to the ComBox according to their tech support people.  They have contacted me today for the issue and they may replace the controller(s). 

Their new Web based customer support system in my opinion was not rolled out in a professional manner and there was confusion in the beginning.  I rather speak to a support person rather than send them a web based form with no immediate acknowledgement of the document being received.  It took several days and Emails to get the information processed by them.  They are using NetSuite software for taking support issues but do not send an acknowledgment that it was received.  I felt in the beginning the form went into a black hole..Not a big deal....

Perhaps you have had no problems with your system and I am delighted you are not having any issues but electronics can and will fail as well as firmware bugs that can crop up.  Again I am not bashing Schneider Electric for this issue.  I have redundancy built into my system and am operating with one inverter and one failed unit in standby with both charge controllers working but not reporting values so I really don't see the reason to purchase backup components that may become legacy products and outdated some day.

Thanks again for your help....
  • Dave Angelini
    Your welcome and my experience is with 100's of systems and mostly excellent. Working directly with them on EFT's, CVT's, and just plain old beta testing. 

I find Schneider to be very much like Hewlett Packard Instrumentation was in the 1980 decade I worked there. They are huge, world class, and try to do the right thing. They have alot of new people and support is where they start.

3 SPD's right? DC HV, DC LV, and AC loads.

They sometimes take a peak here so it is good that you post your experience.

I agree it is weird that the mppt-60 is doing that. I think they are wrong but maybe something has failed. I did a beta on it in 2006 and still have one that has not missed a beat. Where were yours made? I see the Phillipines alot now.

Oh yea, I own the stock ;)

• mike95490
    Do you have all the Termination Plugs at the beginning and end of the Xanbus runs ?

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    Starting last week sometimes my SCP sometimes doesn't display my 60/150 controller numbers.       Guess it's time to call Schneider.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    neutronspin,
    I had a problem with my 80-600 controller when I first got it.     Schneider tech support was fast to respond and treated me well.     

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• neutronspin
    edited December 2018 #16
    Hello,

I finally decided to reset both MPPT60-150 Controllers to factory default and set them up again.....problem solved.  I don't know what happened but something corrupted the memory of the controllers and a factory reset fixed the problem.  All data is now being reported to the ComBox as designed.  Thank you all for your help.  I learned a good lesson from this.  If all fails a factory reset may work....thanks again and this can be closed out.... :):):):)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I am very happy to hear that you got your system up and running reliably.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • neutronspin
    BB. said:
    I am very happy to hear that you got your system up and running reliably.

-Bill
    Thanks Bill.....this is a learning experience for many folks for sure....Happy Holidays.....