Anything wrong with this system? Critique requested.

I'm about to install a solar system on a Lance caravan.  Before doing so, however, I'd like some feedback from the forum.  The proposed components are: Four GoPower GP-PV-170M (170 watt) panels with tilt kits, Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150V/60A charge controller, Victron MPPT Control monitor, Four 6V Trojan Reliant T105 AGM batteries, AIMS "Global" 2000 watt pure sine inverter/charger (model PICOGLF20W12V120VR) or a GoPower 2000 watt inverter/charger (model GP-IC-2000-12).

Is there anything inherently wrong with this configuration?  Comments?

We are primarily boondockers and plan to use the system in cloudy Oregon, sunny Idaho, and at occasionally high Alaskan latitudes.  We need to power a furnace blower (20' caravan), TV, two laptop computers, two cell phones, and all the standard loads found on a 20' trailer.  Although it would be nice to run a microwave oven for reheating food/coffee, we are most concerned with the basic "life support" systems of the trailer.

We are aware that we'll need to carry a generator.  Our goal is to have to use it as little as possible.

Cheers

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need a smart battery isolator, to charge the house battery when driving the rig.

Do you NEED a 2kw inverter ?  That's a lot of overhead to have just to run the blower motor.  Would a 600w inverter do the job, and just use the 2kw for the microwave ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the furnace blower fan operate on 12vdc directly off the house batteries?  All my basic life support is 12volt related.  Fridge (controls and propane firing/starting), furnace, cooking, even the controls for the A/C (requires generator).
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on running off DC directly as much as possible.  The big inverter on my boat basically only runs the microwave, and is otherwise left off.

Do the inverter/chargers include transfer switch to automatically go from generator/shore power to inverter power, and if so, are they designed for mobile use (transfer neutral, etc)?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Crosscut
    Crosscut Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    --I'm uncertain about the truck's electrical supply to the trailer.  I know one of the wires in the 7-pin trailer connection supplies juice to the trailer's battery bank when driving.  But that's about all I know.
    --Furnace blower is 12V.  So the inverter would be necessary for microwave and laptop computers.  Not much more.
    --Inverter/chargers do have auto-transfer switches.  They are designed for vehicles.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter