4 stage battery charger with limited capacity?

nowak
nowak Registered Users Posts: 3
Hey all!

I have just received a battery charger that is meant to charge a 150Ah AGM battery.
I just notice now, that there is a battery size limit written on the battery: 15-1000Ah
Does this mean that I shouldn't use this charger for my battery, or will it still work regardless?

Links to my batttery and charger below:
Battery
Charger

Your help is much appreciated!

/Nowak

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018 #2
    The chargers output voltage is 14.5V, this is fine ror a wet or flooded lead-acid battery but too high for AGM don't see a battery type selection switch, the battery specs state 14.4V as a cyclical charging voltage at 25°C, if in Thailand , guessing due to Lazadz, you would want even lower because it's rarely 25°C for long, usually 30°C+, at least where I am. Try looking for a charger which is adjustable and if possible has temperature compensation, try Aliexpress a good source which I often order from.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    that charger is too small, it is designed for small batteries like motorcycle... look for one that delivers 10% of the batteries rated Ah or more, so at least 15A

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • nowak
    edited November 2018 #4
    mcgivor said:
    The chargers output voltage is 14.5V, this is fine ror a wet or flooded lead-acid battery but too high for AGM don't see a battery type selection switch, the battery specs state 14.4V as a cyclical charging voltage at 25°C, if in Thailand , guessing due to Lazadz, you would want even lower because it's rarely 25°C for long, usually 30°C+, at least where I am. Try looking for a charger which is adjustable and if possible has temperature compensation, try Aliexpress a good source which I often order from.
    Thanks for the advice! I found this charger on Aliexpress, it ranges to 160Ah with 8A:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-2A-4A-8A-Current-Switchable-Smart-Car-Battery-Charger-7-Stage-Maintainer-Desulfator-for-AGM/32808187363.html?

Would that do the job?

that charger is too small, it is designed for small batteries like motorcycle... look for one that delivers 10% of the batteries rated Ah or more, so at least 15A
    Does it really need to be that high on Amps? Would the charger I linked to above with the 8A setting, rated for up to 160Ah not be enough?

Thanks again!
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO it depends some on the intended application.  

If the battery will tend to be shallow cycled, and power is generally available to recharge (eg to power small/critical loads during short grid outages), the small charger may work.

OTOH, if the battery is likely to be more deeply cycled and recharged with a generator for example, you'd be better off with a larger charger that could get the job done with shorter run time.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    The choice of charger is largely dependent on use of the battery, if used for standby or deep cycled daily, many automotive type chargers are ill suited to deep cycle. Temperature compensation is important especially in hot or cold climates, read the specs for the battery linked, it states -3mV per cell for every °C above 25°c or add for below, so if the temperature is 35°C,  0.03 × 6 × 10  = 0.18 volts lower than at 25°C,

Can you explain the intended useage of the battery this will help determine what's needed, please read the attached document it explains in detail and will help you in understanding the requirements for keeping a battery healthy. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • nowak
    Estragon said:
    IMO it depends some on the intended application.  

If the battery will tend to be shallow cycled, and power is generally available to recharge (eg to power small/critical loads during short grid outages), the small charger may work.

OTOH, if the battery is likely to be more deeply cycled and recharged with a generator for example, you'd be better off with a larger charger that could get the job done with shorter run time.
    mcgivor said:
    The choice of charger is largely dependent on use of the battery, if used for standby or deep cycled daily, many automotive type chargers are ill suited to deep cycle. Temperature compensation is important especially in hot or cold climates, read the specs for the battery linked, it states -3mV per cell for every °C above 25°c or add for below, so if the temperature is 35°C,  0.03 × 6 × 10  = 0.18 volts lower than at 25°C,

Can you explain the intended useage of the battery this will help determine what's needed, please read the attached document it explains in detail and will help you in understanding the requirements for keeping a battery healthy. 

I will respond to both at the same time since you somewhat ask the same question.
    Sorry for not thinking about explaining the intended battery usage beforehand.

The battery will be used to power 4 32" LED TVs at ~50-60 watt each = 200-240 watt for around 3 hours, once a week. So the battery will have 6 days to charge before next usage.

The battery will be moved to a storage location, where the temperature could be controlled if necessary.
  • mcgivor
    The sum total discharge would be approximately 62 Ah, add a little for inverter losses round out to 70 Ah or ~50% discharge, the 8A charger would need about 12 hours to recharge, guesstermate, given the one week single use it would probably be fine. Keeping the battery in a cool location would extend it life, once fully charged disconnect, then before use, briefly recharge say 4 hours, this will recover any self discharge without being on float unnecessarily. Just my thoughts others may differ.