Confused, seeking help for small power source

Options
Georgiachild
Georgiachild Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a small dock with a covered area at the end.  I want to power a tv and a few led lights.  I plan to put the battery on a cart and bring it to the house in the evening to charge it with a battery charger connected to my house power. 

What do I need to support this system?  I have no clue about anything.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sean

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends mostly on the tv power requirements (wattage), and how long you want to run it.

For example, say the tv runs 100w, and lights another 20w, and you run for 3hrs/day.  That's 360 watt-hours.  Something like a Morningstar 300w inverter would likely be needed to run a normal 120 volt AC TV (cheaper MSW/square wave inverter may not work well with TV), or you could consider a 12v TV (RV/marine).  Some LED lights can run directly off 12v battery, some need a constant voltage.  So with some inverter losses, call it 400wh/day.

A pair of 6v golf cart batteries has ~2400 wh, of which 1200 is usable for longer life.  At 400wh/day load, you could go a couple of days between charges.

The above inverter is $252 from our hosts.  A pair of golf cart batteries would run about $200.  A breaker or fuse and some wire would be needed.  Anderson type connectors might be handy to connect/disconnect for charging.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Georgiachild
    edited November 2018 #3
    Options
    I am looking at batteries now from our host now. the plethera of choices is making my eyes roll back in my head, any siuggestions?

Would this one work?

https://www.solar-electric.com/centennial-gc2200p-flooded-deep-cycle-battery.html

• Georgiachild
    Options
    And why 6v and not 12 v?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Using 6V allows for larger cells which can be used in series to achieve the same capacity as 12V batteries in parallel which is less desirable if a larger capacity is required. Additionally  golf cart batteries tend to be less expensive due to supply and demand as well as being more robust to account for their intended use where shock and vibration are to be expected, this is for flooded, AGM on the other hand are immobilized by the nature of their construction so less prone to the aforementioned, but are more expensive. Flooded GC batteries are a good starting battery to learn with because they are forgiving if/when mistakes are made, AGM on the other hand need prior experience to understand what's going on because they cannot be easily tested for state of charge, my opinion others may differ. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    6v golf cart batteries also tend to be very widely available, and are "true" deep cycle batteries.  12v "marine" type deep cycle, which are also widely available, are often dual use starting batteries, better suited to running a few accessory loads on a boat occasionally, not repeated cycling to ~50%.

Batteries get expensive to ship in small quantities, so it often best to look first to what's available locally.  This was part of the reasoning behind the suggestion of 6v GC batteries.

I don't know anything specifically about the battery linked to.  The word "marine" in the text gives me some pause, but it does appear to be the sort of battery I suggested.  You may want to price something similar at you local Sams club or whatever.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I plan to put the battery on a cart and bring it to the house in the evening to charge it with a battery charger connected to my house power.

I'm curious about that statement. Do you just want to power things at the dock?  If so, what is the reason to move the battery, seems like a lot of work.  First off I will say that everyone makes the mistake of getting too big a battery and too small a solar panel.  Panels are dirt cheap and have a far better return than batteries for the investment.  I run my camp on only a single battery and a lot of panels. I live pretty good on that with even a dishwasher and hot water supplied by PV. The panels supply all the power used during the day. That leaves only evening use to calculate the battery. Over 500W of grid tie panels can be had for under $300. You need a lot of power for those not so good times of the day which is most of the day.