Remote monitoring and administration

Options
cdrichards2
cdrichards2 Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Greetings,
I'm working on the design for a ~2kW off-grid solar setup for my cabin, and would like to monitor solar performance and battery SOC remotely. There is cell service at the site, and already have a hot-spot set up. Currently undecided on which manufacturer to use for my system, but investigating Magnum, Midnite, Schneider, and Samlex.

Question:
What manufacturer has the best data logging and remote administration capability?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe Midnite and Schneider at least have web based systems available in which data is logged to remote servers and accessed via secure web page.  AFAIK, these provide very good monitoring capabilities, but no ability to make changes to settings etc.  Midnite doesn't have inverters yet, so Schneider would currently be better if you want inverter info integrated.  Don't know about Magnum or Samlex.

One potential issue with a cell connection and remote logging is latency.  Although the amount of data is small (so overall speed isn't a problem), high latency can be.  I haven't tried it recently, but found latency to be a problem with my cell hotspot and MyMidnite remote logging.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outback also should be on your list as they have their web portal Optics for 

Schneider has Insight which is being upgraded by the new communications device Conext Gateway. It will allow you to change all settings and do remote firmware installation by cell or web.  For warranty the Support group can take a peak (if you allow them) from remote.
    Insight works well on a decent cell service.  I use it for clients who have cell. The new gateway is wifi based in/out and will future proof a Schneider system for apps/devices that can work to help use energy better, even offgrid.

Magnum also has a portal but I have yet to see solar data out of one. If I am wrong please show me a link.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• cdrichards2
    cdrichards2 Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the input, Dave. So Outback should be considered too... More to investigate.
    And on the Magnum, does that mean you haven't had success in  setting it up for remote, or just heard of issues from others?

Estragon, In latency, would ping be a good measure of that? 
    On the Midnite front, I was been looking at their preconfigured power panels that use other mfg's inverter with their charge controller and equipment. Thoughts?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the Midnite front, I was been looking at their preconfigured power panels that use other mfg's inverter with their charge controller and equipment. Thoughts?
    I have the midnight epanel for my XW inverter and it's a very handy thing to have.  And since it's 2nd party, it works better than the XW panels that are inflexible.  It handles my Morningstar mppt 60 controller and then an added Midnight classic, and there is still a bit of room for more expansion.  Both controllers are wired with input and output breakers.

While the 3 brands don't "talk" to each other, they all work well enough, just by sensing the battery voltage.  They enter Absorb and float within minutes of each other, and work well sharing mid day loads
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the input, Dave. So Outback should be considered too... More to investigate......

I used the Outback Opticsre for 3 years to remotely monitor an Outback Radian. I am looking forward to installing a Skybox and monitoring it. Outback firmware is upgradable online so their stuff always has the latest upgrades.
    8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, ping (traceroute, etc) can give an indication of latency.  I'd consider anything more than ~100ms "high".

I used e-panels for 2xClassics and 2xOutback VFXs and they worked well.  I wired them up locally, as logistics getting them to the remote cabin was an issue, and I though preasseembled might be too unwieldy in transit.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you use an XW, the XW mini PDP is an excellent distribution panel for a system. It has everything the large distribution panel has but really made for one or two max XW's. I do not like mixing different manufactures in a system. The obvious reasons of not having all the data in one place down to having tech support blame the other company. I made those mistakes a long time ago so other do not have to.

Magnum does not communicate the solar to the web portal. Probably because until recently they have not made a charge controller. I always thought that was weird that they made inverter/chargers and no CC. If they have fixed it now, it is about time!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• KMac
    KMac Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November 2018 #9
    Options
    I have a Morningstar MPPT-60 that lets me monitor and control things.  It creates webpages of data, and notably the 60 amp version I have has an Ethernet connection.  So I first accessed the pages while at my cabin over an Ethernet connection from the unit to a router then to an old HP netbook. That worked great so then I figured how to access it over the wifi from the router, so no wire needed and I could view and program from inside the cabin.  (The webpages show the present state and the log files, etc.. You can check how all that works at the Morningstar site).  Also, I can view graphs and such and also program it via the free MSVIEW software and that works great over ethernet or wifi too.

So recently I got a Peplink cellular BR1-Mini router at the cabin, and a Peplink access point at home, and added at the cabin a Sim card on my unlimited Verizon cellular account $20 per month (but I might get a cheaper account based on the amount of data I use, once I have more data on how much it uses). 

I then set up a direct VPN connection from that Peplink at the cabin to the Peplink access point on my home router.  That way I can access everything at the cabin from home like its all one system,  monitoring and programming the cabin as needed.  And I don't need some other company to host anything for me.

Finally,  I use TeamViewer (free) to log into my home computer from anywhere so I can access and manipulate all of that at the cabin from anywhere, even my cell phone half a world away.  I really like that.  

Other advantages of the Peplink cellular router at the cabin are that it is ruggedized for my outdoor equipment box, and the VPN is easy to setup if you have a Peplink device at home (I use a simple access point attached to my home router, but could've replaced the whole home router if I'd wanted to spend more and upgrade at home).  Also, I  now can have cheap smart plugs at the cabin and can turn the lights on before I get there, or the window air conditioner, and I have run Arlo security cameras I can view remotely as well.  Most recently I added an Ambient Weather station that I can access remotely as well over the cabin Peplink cell connection and can consider both indoor and outdoor conditions and decide whether to run on the AC before I go, or if the rain will make getting there muddy and difficult or not, or whether or not i need to run the dripline on the garden plants (which I can control and schedule with a simple smartplug on the line the pump plugs into, saving on mechanical timer equipment, and saving unnecessary trips to the cabin which is an hour away).

The starting point for all of this was wanting to monitor and control the heart of it all, the Morningstar MPPT-60 charge controller, which is what you are asking.  The other smaller versions of the Morningstar don't have the direct Ethernet connection to the MODBUS of the controller, although I think they offer an add on conversion unit to do it.  Better to just get the larger version controller that does already do all of that, and you would want it for a 2kw system.  It's a great controller and they even replaced it a year ago under warranty when I burned a FET out. Great customer service. 

Look at the Morningstar Relay Driver too if you want to automatically do things based on programming parameters - I would like to get one so I could have a programmable LVD, and also an adjustable dump load for a small turbine I use to supplement energy collection at night and especially winter.  Could also turn on/off loads with it or a genset start if I wanted to).

I only have 1 kw of panels at 40 degrees latitude (central plaines, US) and run a 24v system 315 ah lead acid (floor scrubber Trojans). It takes about 800 watt hours to recharge it daily.  I have a Cotek 2000w inverter on all the time (about twice what it should be given 1kw of panels and battery size, I know).  Cotek is same manufacturer as Samlex I  believe.  Solid inverter. With 2 kw panels you will have, that would be about max size.  Great customer service there as well.  

I'm very happy with it. Hope it helps. Good luck.