Schneider Battery monitor preventing the Schneider inverter from qualifying generator output.

rayrassi
rayrassi Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
While the battery monitor is connected to the Xanbus the inverter fails to qualify energy coming from the generator.  As soon as I unplug the Battery Monitor from the Xanbus it goes back to normal and immediately qualifies the generator output.  Generator output voltage and frequency OK.  Discussed with Schneider tech support and reset the BM and eventually replaced it but problem still persists.

Schneider Battery Monitor, CSW4024, MPPT60, Conext Combox, 8 430 amp 6 volt batteries setup as 24 volt (2 strings of 4), 6 295W panels setup as 3 strings of 2.

System worked fine for 4 years and I decided to add the battery monitor with the results described above.

Anyone has a clue?

Comments

• AGB
    AGB Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
    I was thinking to add the Schneider battery monitor just like you did. Were you able to resolve the problem?
    I also saw a battery monitoring system from China https://detail.en.china.cn/provide/p120578913.html. I kind of think the Schneider is way over priced and they could have incorporated the features in the charge controller with a current sensor for the battery.
    I will be glad if anyone with experience will recommend a good BMS.

System: 8x6V flooded lead acid battery @420AH, Schneider MPPT150-60 CC, Schneider SW4048 inverter and 2790W panels.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) unlugging stuff off the xanbus and things start workiing , makes me think of a cable termination issue,  did you move the termination plug as you moved cables ?

2) Battery monitor ?   Sadly, I don't believe in the them, the batteries drift faster then it's convenient to re-program the monitor. 
    A simple volt meter can tell you 95% of what a battery monitor can (unless it a fancy totalizer counter, amps out - amps in)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The other question would be -- Miss-addressed new Xbus device (two devices with same address--Or sometimes there are "reserved" addresses for specific types of equipment)?

Generally, there is a minimum distance between bused devices (don't connect two devices with 6" of cable)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    The other question would be -- Miss-addressed new Xbus device (two devices with same address--Or sometimes there are "reserved" addresses for specific types of equipment)?

Generally, there is a minimum distance between bused devices (don't connect two devices with 6" of cable)...

-Bill
    Nah on the device with same address. That is only for 2 identical devices. i.e. 2 battery monitors. No reserved addresses on xanbus.

I hope you plan on sending us some rain!  We normally get a couple inches in October.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net