Xantrex SW5548 AC-IN led flashing and inverting for a short time

Hello, I installed a Xantrex SW5548 , but recently the unit stopped working and now I see this situation:

1. AC-IN led is flashing when I put primary power supply.
  2. When I put the inverter to ON the inverting led turn on and then the bulk led turn on for a while and the the unit goes back to inverting.
  3. I checked the batteries, I connect 4 x 12v batteries making it 48vdc and I get 49.4 vdc on the reading.
Also when I put the unit for CHARGE MODE it does the same, the bulk led turn on and after 1 min the AC IN led goes flashing.

I am new to inverting , so can some have a sample configuration for this type of unit and what settings are suitable for my situation.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Are you connected to utility power, or is this a genset powered system when you have the trouble with the inverter connecting to AC input? Is there any other charging source (solar panels)?

Whatever you do, need to get the battery bank charged backup >90% state of charge pretty soon. At less than 75% state of charge, the batteries (assuming lead acid) will begin to sulfate and die an early (and expensive) death.

Just a general debugging tip... Check the AC voltage at the input terminals to the AC inverter-charger system with a voltmeter and system under load (or blinking LED). Check all of the electrical connections from the main AC panel/breakers to the XW. Loose screws/wire nuts can happen. If you had water that got into a J-Box/electrical connection and got corrosion in the electrical connections.

Look for browning of insulation and copper wiring ends/terminal connections (overheating).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the manual, configure according to what you have in terms of input breaker size, charging current, AC frequency and so forth, a simple mistake could cause problems. Having a SCP or Combox will allow viewing error codes, they are also needed to set up the system from default settings, do you have either? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • johanmcarcamo
    johanmcarcamo Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hello and thanks for the information,
    I am connected to the utility power and there is no other source ( solar panels ).
    Do I need to charge the batteries one by one until they reach full charge ?
    I checked all the connections and area good, I put a 3 wire cable # 6 for the installation ( Hot,Neutral and ground ) with a 80 amp breaker.
    I have 2 units the same model and both are having the same problem , I the manufacturer told me to try the other input ( Generator ) to see if there is any change, I'll let you know about any changes
  • mcgivor
    You need to program the unit with either a SCP or Combox, have you done this?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • johanmcarcamo
    Hello Mcgivor,

I dont know if this unit have that what you say, so I haven't done that. Can you indicate me where it can be, attached find the manual that the manufacturer send to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.!!
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mcgivor said:
    Read the manual, configure according to what you have in terms of input breaker size, charging current, AC frequency and so forth, a simple mistake could cause problems. Having a SCP or Combox will allow viewing error codes, they are also needed to set up the system from default settings, do you have either? 

Sounds like he could have an older SW 5548.  No SCP or Combox for those models.   I'm a bit curious about the battery bank.  Can you describe your battery bank to us? All matching? All same age?  Ah capacity?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    edited October 2018 #8
    Hello Mcgivor,

I dont know if this unit have that what you say, so I haven't done that. Can you indicate me where it can be, attached find the manual that the manufacturer send to me.

Seems like an older model, don't have the time to read the manual right now, but if you do I would highly recommend reading in detail, following all steps. Later.
  • littleharbor2
    edited October 2018 #9
    From the manual,

INVERTING (Yellow)
    The inverter is operational and AC output is available. If this LED is blinking, the inverter is in the search
    mode and is looking for an AC load greater than the SET SEARCH WATTS setting.

AC1 IN GOOD (Green)
    Indicates that AC power is present at the AC HOT IN 1 and NEUTRAL IN 1 input terminals. This input is
    intended for utility power. When an AC source is connected to the input terminals, it will start to blink slowly
    (once a second) to show the AC voltage has been detected. After the inverter has connected to the AC
    source, the LED will be solid. If the LED starts to blink during operation, utility power has been dropped.

AC2 IN GOOD (Green)
    Indicates that AC power is present at the AC HOT IN 2 and NEUTRAL IN 2 input terminals. This input is
    intended for generator power. When an AC source is connected to the input terminals, it will start to blink
    slowly (once a second) to show the AC voltage has been detected. After the inverter has connected to the
    AC source, the LED will be solid. If the LED starts to blink during operation, generator power may have been
    dropped.
    This LED will also blink slowly (once a second) when the automatic generator control system is enabled.
    When the generator has started, it will continue to blink slowly until the generator has been connected. If the
    generator does not successfully start, the AC 2 IN GOOD LED will stop blinking and the red ERROR LED will
    turn on. The ERROR CAUSES (5) menu heading will indicate a GENERATOR SYNC ERROR condition.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• johanmcarcamo
    Thanks Mcgivor,
    I attached some pictures from the battery banks, each inverter have 4 batteries total 12v each. I read everything from the manual but cant remove the flashing led from the AC 1. Also to let you know there is no load right now so I am just trying to see if the inverter charge the batteries. It suppose to have output one I  connect the ac 1 but there is no output.

Thanks for your reply

• johanmcarcamo
    Thanks littleharbo2,

I will put some load to the inverter and i will let you know,

Thanks
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Have you checked the DC voltage to the input of the SW? Those battery connections look like they could use some cleaning and retorquing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

johann..,

What was the source of these inverters?  Do you know if they have been used on a grid-tied system that has the same voltage and frequency as your AC grid power system?

What is the exact model number?   Do not know for certain your grid voltage and frequency.   But in the USA,  to produce and use 240 VAC (our standard Split-Phase power system),   two units needed to be Series Stacked,  with a special Series Stacking Cable.   Perhaps for use in the rest of the world,   a single unit might have been able to produce/use 230 (or so)  Volts AC without stacking.

Have you connected any cables to the output terminals of either inverter?
    Is the Error Led illuminated?    There is an Error Causes Menu item.

Will try to look around on the Web for info on any models for non-USA customers.

More later,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • littleharbor2
     Here's a list of models for the European market,

SW2612E SW4548AHC SW4548EPV SW2612A SW3048E
    SW2612EHC SW4548EHC SW2612AHC SW3048AHC SW4548E3PH
    SW3024E SW3048EHC SW3024E SW3048EPV SW3048E3PH
    SW3048E SW3024AHC SW3024A SW3048APV SW4548APV
    SW3048A SW3024EHC SW3048E SW4548E SW4548A

• johanmcarcamo
    Hello everybody and thank you for your replies,

Vic,
    The unit is in Bahamas so here the frequency is 60 hz and right now the units are disconnected from the load.
    The exact model Number is SW5548 I attached some pictures of the unit and how it is connected. When I saw the units they were not stacked, I want also to series stacked this units. There is no error led illuminated and there is no error cause.
  • littleharbor2
    Why haven't you connected a load yet? It could be the inverter needs to see something at the AC out terminals.

• Vic

Thanks littleharbor,  and johann,

OK,  looking on the Web,   it seems that your grid utility power is 120 VAC 60 Hz.   And you will not be using any loads that are 240 VAC,   is an assumption.

You will need to go through the menus to set the battery charge voltages,  AC input currents for charging,   etc.

If the Invert LED constantly flashes for a number of minutes,  it would seem that the inverter sees a line voltage or frequency which is not within its required range.

It is surprising (to me),   that your photo of one 5548 shows a 2007 date.   Had thought that the SW+ replaced the SWs in 2004 or 2005  (this does not matter).

These inverters are reaching middle-age.   Your country would seem to have its share of lightning,   and perhaps other bad things happening to and on the power grid.   Do you know,   for certain,   that these inverters did work at the time that you bought them?   These days,   there have been some owners of this line of inverters who have reported failures of the internal Transfer Relays,   and a few who found.   or believed that a small line-sensing transformer had failed.

If the seller can support/warranty these units as good,  perhaps they can help.

Need to get back to work,   later,   Thanks for the added info,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know if the incoming AC is actually in spec (voltage and frequency) as measured at the AC1 input, and whether the inverter will do AC pass-through with the charger off and a small AC load.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    Hello Mcgivor,

Did you follow the procedure on page 31 of the manual, Functional Test, following each step, proceeding only when results are correct, sometimes in haste mistakes are made, just making sure. 
    Also see page 113, AC in good but led flashing, but will not start charging 
  • johanmcarcamo
    Hello ,

I put some load to the unit but still is doing the same. I put a 120v 300w light and put the controller in SEARCH but it inverts and then after 1 min it shutdown the output again, I put to ON and also is the same. I did the functional test and modify the search watts setting to a lower value and still the same, also I did the opposite. I will make other test and let you know all the settings and values I put.

Thanks for your collaboration you all!!
  • johanmcarcamo
    Hello,
    After making test I could manage to somehow start the unit , I connected the inverter to the AC IN 2 where the generator should be and the output stays on. But now I dont see that the batteries are charging, I will leave the unit on all night to see if it charges.

This are the Measurements I got from the unit:

Battery actual volts dc 49.2
    Inverters Volts AC = 109
    Generator ( AC2) volts AC = 129
    Read Frequency Hertz = 60

I will let you know.

• mcgivor
    What are the AC input upper and lower voltage settings programed into the unit? Programming lower to 80 and upper to 149 volts will reduce the possibility of a voltage problem.

Check neutral bonding, some countries supply a neutral on the utility side before the meter, if bonded after the meter in reverse of the utility this would cause issues, no idea how neutral is established in your case but worth checking.
  • johanmcarcamo
    Hello again Mcgivor,

I left the unit yesterday all night to see if there was a change in the batteries but they got no charge!!!. When I started the unit yesterday the BULK led was on and based on the manual that is good and then it is supposed to pass to float once it reached the batteries charged at some level but no luck. I came this morning and the bulk led was still on. I have change the values as you told me. I will see if I can modify some settings to see if it works

Thanks
  • johanmcarcamo
    edited November 2018 #24
    Hello, I tried modifying the settings and still no luck, I am trying with the other unit and has the same symptom, it stays in bulk charging and not change to Float. I've put the settings on the Battery charging like this:

1. Set Bulk Volts DC = 58.8
    2. Set absorption time h:m = 02:00
    3. Set Float volts dc = 54.6
    4. Set equalize volts dc = 57.6
    5. Set equalize time h:m = 02:00
    6. Set max charge amps ac = 35
    7. Set temp comp = Leadacid
    These are the batteries specs

• mcgivor
    Back to the manual, page 124, bulk charge trigger timer, defult setting 00:00,, do you have a time programmed in this setting ?
  • johanmcarcamo
    edited November 2018 #26
    Hello Mcgivor,

No I dont have a time programmed in that setting. But it says it only works with AC1 and I am using AC2 IN.
  • mcgivor
    Why AC2 generator input  and not AC 1 grid input? 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe try max charge amps to something really low (eg 1a)?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • johanmcarcamo
    Hello Mcgivor,
    I put it there cause I couldnt make it work on the AC1, I talked with the Manufacturer and told me it could be something wrong on the AC1 input , cause when I turn on the Inverter connected to AC1 the inverter cannot maintain the output , it flip from inverting to bulk back and forth, but that doesn't happen with the AC2, when it is connected to AC2 the output works great even without load.
  • Vic

IMO,   using Search mode is not going to be useful,   at this  point,   just turn that off.

Have asked this before,   but have seen no response   ...

Has the supplier of these inverters said that they were working units?
    Has the supplier supplied any Warranty on them?

The Trace/Xantrex 5548s are solid,  reliable inverters,   and we have four 5548+es here that have been in-service for 13 years.   But,   they need high quality Surge Suppression on the AC inputs,   and quite probably on the AC outputs (when permanently-installed).   Do you know the history of these inverters?

When the grid is connected to AC1,   after the AC1 LED stops blinking,   do you hear the click (or clunk) of the internal transfer switch?

Thank you for answers to these questions!    Vic

• johanmcarcamo
    Hello Vic,
    I dont know the history of these inverters, I dont think the supplier had supplied any warranty before. They told me that they were working for a couple of year but just a month ago they dont work, the electrician that was in charge told me that the units dont charge the batteries , so I went to see the programming and everything was on the defaults, so based on that they just connected the inverters with minimum to no configuration.

When the grid is connected to the AC1 the led stop blinking and yes I hear a clunk of the internal transfer switch.