solar regulators

ozzyjon
ozzyjon Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
hi all,i am in Australia but I assume solar is much the same everywhere(except ac output)I have just bought 2 Victron controllers as our Taiwanese inverter/controller threw in the towel.i set these new controllers at 2.25v per cell to suit our 2volt tubular gel batteries(24 of for our 48v system)the controllers reached float voltage several times but kept restarting boost/absorption and in doing so held batteries at about 2.35 for most of the day.this is the first time this has happened after experience with several controllers over 10 years or so.my supplier tried to convince me it was all good but I am sure the batteries will cook with this treatment.anyone have expert knowledge in this area?it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The voltages are pretty conservative for bulk/absorb, float is normal, the question is, are there loads which may prompt a rebulk if float voltage is reduced to a certain amount, not familiar with the particular controller, but it is a feature on some controllers.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.