Schneider MPPT60-150

AGB
AGB Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
Is it normal for the Schneider MPPT60-150 to be consuming about 130W power while operating?
Attached is a custom log screenshot.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The 24V mode is less efficient than the 48v. You are over 90% but it is also pretty hot (32C). If your string voltage was lower it would be of some help also.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• AGB
    The 24V mode is less efficient than the 48v. You are over 90% but it is also pretty hot (32C). If your string voltage was lower it would be of some help also.
    But this is a 48V system and according to the specifications, it should be around 98%. The temperature reading is that of the battery not the charge controller and it is around ambient temperature at the install location. the charge controller does not feel hot when touched either.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How large is your battery bank, perhaps it is limiting the amount of current flowing in? The battery temperature at 32c is pretty hot, but I would think 53.3 volts is pretty low yet...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    I just saw the 24V data on your graph. Why is there both 24 and 48 data BTW?   Kind of confusing...

Photowhit is right about the voltage. Also why is the battery so much warmer than the ambient makes me think the battery is the source of your issue? maybe not but the more data you add the better the answers. Like the set-points, battery type, location..

I have that CC and it is close to 98% most of the time. Are you configured for 100% charge on the CC as was asked?

• AGB
    Photowhit said:
    How large is your battery bank, perhaps it is limiting the amount of current flowing in? The battery temperature at 32c is pretty hot, but I would think 53.3 volts is pretty low yet...
    The battery bank is eight 420AH L16 US Battery (20KWh). The panel is nine of 310W Q-Cells perc (2790W)
    The ambient temperature is around 30 degrees Celsius
  • AGB
    edited September 2018 #7
    I just saw the 24V data on your graph. Why is there both 24 and 48 data BTW?   Kind of confusing...

Photowhit is right about the voltage. Also why is the battery so much warmer than the ambient makes me think the battery is the source of your issue? maybe not but the more data you add the better the answers. Like the set-points, battery type, location..

I have that CC and it is close to 98% most of the time. Are you configured for 100% charge on the CC as was asked?
    I believe the 24 you are seeing is the output current. Please check the heading. 
    The battery temperature is at most 2 degrees warmer than the ambient.
    Yes the CC is configured for 100% charge.
    The location is Ghana West Africa
    Here are some of the custom logs attached. I changed the file extension to txt to be able to upload.
  • Dave Angelini

• AGB
    I changed from png to jpg. maybe that will preserve the columns better

• Dave Angelini
    I did not look at your logs yet but are you going thru a full charge according to the battery manufacturers recommendation?
    As Photowhit asked the V level seems low but it is early in the day. What other devices besides the CSW are in your system and the make/model of the battery please.

It does seem  (to me) you are right that the efficiency is not great. Below is the combox system which you might get a better idea of the system graphically.

• AGB
    edited September 2018 #11
    I did not look at your logs yet but are you going thru a full charge according to the battery manufacturers recommendation?
    As Photowhit asked the V level seems low but it is early in the day. What other devices besides the CSW are in your system and the make/model of the battery please.

It does seem  (to me) you are right that the efficiency is not great. Below is the combox system which you might get a better idea of the system graphically.

Thank you very much Dave for your quick response.
    Here is a screen shot of my system.
    It is 11pm right. I will send a screen shot during the day. On most days the system is done charging by 11am. Today it was done at 1pm because usage was high the previous night.

I have the charge controller, CSW4048 and the combox. 
    I also have two DC pumps connected to the battery via relays and switches but I don't think they should be having any effect on the CC efficiency. Beside they are not on all the time.

• AGB
  • Dave Angelini
    You are welcome!  It looks like you are not staying at the absorb set-point (pumps or clouds?). Also 49v at night is getting down there and close to 50% Soc. What make/model battery?  You have bulk and absorb set-points different also?

None of this is an efficiency issue that you asked about. What is the gage/length of the output cable from the mppt to DC battery bus?

Schneider specs the efficiency at 25C and at 57V or so with at least a 3KW load on the mppt and input voltage from the array around 70vdc. That is how they get 98%. In reality you should see 95% most of the time.

• AGB
    You are welcome!  It looks like you are not staying at the absorb set-point (pumps or clouds?). Also 49v at night is getting down there and close to 50% Soc. What make/model battery?  You have bulk and absorb set-points different also?

None of this is an efficiency issue that you asked about. What is the gage/length of the output cable from the mppt to DC battery bus?

Schneider specs the efficiency at 25C and at 57V or so with at least a 3KW load on the mppt and input voltage from the array around 70vdc. That is how they get 98%. In reality you should see 95% most of the time.
    The battery is US Battery L16HC-XC2 420Ah
    The cable to the battery is 1/0AWG (0AWG Welding Cable)
    The Bulk/Boost voltage is set to 61.2V and absorption set at 58.8V. Float is at 52.1V. All these are per US battery specification. Even when I had the charger settings at the default of the CC, the result was the same.
    I set the Bulk higher to get a boost charge at the end of the bulk stage per Schneider recommendation. I am also not too worried about the voltage at 49V at night because I was able to run at that voltage for two days straight while I have the panels turned off. The specific gravity reads as fully charged.

• AGB
    The battery was in float but I just forced bulk stage just to show power coming in at almost 4pm

• Dave Angelini
    Nice battery choice! If the SG is 1.280 or close then you are good to go. I was talking about the cable from mppt to battery and it's length.
    I have seen folks use the right cable but a really long run. Not saying this is the case but it could cause a drop if excessive.

Are you near the Kakum national park area? I have a client there.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming the CC normally operates in 30+° temps, I have to think the cooling fan runs a lot. Is it cleaned regularly, and vents checked for bug nests etc?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • AGB
    Nice battery choice! If the SG is 1.280 or close then you are good to go. I was talking about the cable from mppt to battery and it's length.
    I have seen folks use the right cable but a really long run. Not saying this is the case but it could cause a drop if excessive.

Are you near the Kakum national park area? I have a client there.
    The cable is about 5 feet.
    Great you've been to Ghana. my site is along the Volta River and closer to Togo but I live in Oregon.
  • Dave Angelini
    Estragon said:
    Assuming the CC normally operates in 30+° temps, I have to think the cooling fan runs a lot. Is it cleaned regularly, and vents checked for bug nests etc?
    No fan in this mppt BTW. A main attribute in it's design from 2006.

• Dave Angelini
    Oregon? Cool my cousin operates the best Italian restaurant and Lounge Christos  in Salem. We go up for Jazz night on Thursdays. 
    I never got to Ghana but it is on my bucket list and I have a long open invite!

5 feet is not the problem. Not sure what else could be doing this.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I assume it has big heat-sink fins like my Morningstars that need to be kept pretty clean to shed heat too though.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • AGB
    Oregon? Cool my cousin operates the best Italian restaurant and Lounge Christos  in Salem. We go up for Jazz night on Thursdays. 
    I never got to Ghana but it is on my bucket list and I have a long open invite!

5 feet is not the problem. Not sure what else could be doing this.
    That is cool. I will try that Restaurant out. I love Italian food :-)