Solar Batteries depleted to 0% as soon as I plug in my Fridge

hmong2017
hmong2017 Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
QUICK GUIDE TO SETUP:
- 8 of 260W 24V Sun Power Poly Solar Panels
- Combine Box 
- Charge Controller 80A MPPT
- 6 of 12V 200Ah Batteries Mighty Max Brand. Two connected into one to make 24V then parallel to get 600Ah
- Power Inverter 5000 Watt Aims Corp brand

It is charging fine. but as soon as I plug in the Fridge 
Takes 120V, 8Amps 
The Inverter Beeps, and the Controller displays 0% Battery Capacity. As soon as I turn off the inverter, the batteries begin charging from 5%. 

Is there something wrong? Last time I checked the batteries were 1 month ago, all good. I cannot find my tester now so I can't test it now. 
Batteries are ALL less than 1 Year old, bought Brand New. These are Acid Sealed Batteries

I just need someone to explain what is wrong with the system and what I could do to fix it. I've been using it since Spring and no problem until this morning. I don't really need any negative comments as it really helps nothing. 

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the battery voltage:
    - at the battery terminals of each string before turning on the fridge, and again right after.
    - at the charge controller output terminals before turning on the fridge, and as the fridge is turned on.

Have you tried a smaller, ideally purely resistive load, like a small heater of incandescent light? How does battery voltage hold up?

If the batteries are flooded, have you checked water level and specific gravity?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • hmong2017
    Estragon said:
    Have you checked the battery voltage:
    - at the battery terminals of each string before turning on the fridge, and again right after.
    - at the charge controller output terminals before turning on the fridge, and as the fridge is turned on.

Have you tried a smaller, ideally purely resistive load, like a small heater of incandescent light? How does battery voltage hold up?

If the batteries are flooded, have you checked water level and specific gravity?

What do you mean Flooded batteries and Water Level and Specific Gravity? I am new to this information. Please explain. If you're talking about water flooding the batteries, then no. The Batteries are in a dry place. 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flooded lead acid batteries have caps on top, giving access to the liquid electrolyte inside.  They need to be checked periodically, and occasionally need to have distilled water added.  They should also have the strength of the acid checked with a hydrometer to verify the charging protocol is working and batteries are getting fully charged regularly.

Some lead acid are sealed (AGM or GEL types) with acid absorbed into a glass mat (AGM) or with an additive causing the acid to be more of a gelly consistency.  They can't have water added or checked for proper acid strength, and can be quite sensitive to charging voltages.  Too low, they can be permanently damaged by sulfation.  Too high, they can vent gas and also be permanently damaged.  Accordingly, it's important to know the recommended charging voltages and set the charging sources to use them.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your inverter is probably consuming more power than your fridge is. Is it a Pure Sine Wave inverter? How are your panels wired? You mention they are 24 volt panels but 260 watt panels are typically 60 cell panels and NOT 24 volts.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• hmong2017
    Your inverter is probably consuming more power than your fridge is. Is it a Pure Sine Wave inverter? How are your panels wired? You mention they are 24 volt panels but 260 watt panels are typically 60 cell panels and NOT 24 volts.
    That's weird then. The panels label specs says 24V, 260W. I got it from Ebay. I was thinking to Get a New Inverter and hopefully that will solve the problem. Ive replaced the Controller already. 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 #7
    True 24 volt panels are 72 cell and have a typical output of around 36 Vmp. and 45 Voc. What are the specs on your panels?  They can work fine when series wired to higher voltage and ran through a true MPPT charge controller. BTW, what model 80 amp controller do you have?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    I would do a load test on each of your batteries.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi  Sealed lead acid batterys  are either gel or AGM . Both the only way to test is voltage after a rest period  , or a load test . 
    Effectively you are load testing when you connect your inverter and some load .
    On the face of it i would say your batterys are dead.
     By what measure do you know the system has been charging well? 
    to test your system you will realy need to find your voltage tester .
    A clamp type DC amp tester is also invaluable to see what is happening .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home