How to take a turbine down

craigk
craigk Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello. I have the opportunity to get a skystream turbine and 33ft monopole for free, but I have to take it down. Other than needing a tractor, can someone tell me, and illustrate an example of the gin pole/method I would use the get the tower down, without spending alot of money? The pole has a square base, and a eyelet half way up. Thanks. 

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Do you want the SkyStream? There were a lot of issues with the MonoPole (pole was difficult to maintain perfect vertical, and Skystreams did not track wind very well when pole was not vertical). Also Skystreams had a fair amount of electronics problems (which were mounted in the Nacel 10 meters up).

I have not seen any information on the "new" mfg. Xzeres versions.

Do you have a very windy site for the turbine install? And how much it will cost (concrete footing)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • craigk
    craigk Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thanks for the links, mike95490. Hello Bill, I don't want it if it is going to cost alot to take down and repair. I would have to put it on a higher tower to work at my place. The cost of a footing might be roughly $600-1000cad. Its just a thought, and nothing I'm dead set on doing. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Generally, the cost of a tower and footings is much more than the turbine itself (add cabling, battery charging--if needed, etc.).

There are freestanding towers, and there are tilt up towers with guy-wires (which can be a lot cheaper--used ground anchors--screw-in anchors instead of lots of concrete). And you want to install the turbine+tower away from occupied homes/buildings (throwing blades, falling turbines, and even the occasional falling tower can happen).

I have heard/read zero about the Skystreams with the new mfg.... So I do not know how the earlier issues have been addressed.

Do you have any wind turbine installs in your location (or data from this existing installation) to see how many kWH per month they have produced over several years?

I will be honest, I am not a fan of wind, especially of small wind) unless there is no other choice. This is one case where DIY (do it yourself) products seem to exceed the capabilities/quality of commercial products. But not a lot of people have the skills and equipment needed to build and install these mid-size turbines.

Hopefully, some other folks can give updates on the New Skystreams and how they are working out.

To add to Mike's links:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines (from Chris Olson... From his 4/11/2013 post)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)
    Small windpower a scam ? Survey says SO
    Truth About Skystream & SWWP
    Windmax HY-2000 2kW Wind Turbine (apparently, some vendors don't sell spare parts--just new turbines. However, the owner, Edward has been very happy with its performance from 2010-2012--BB. 5/31/2012)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset