Schneider Combox installation triggers virus warnings

Comments

• Dusty
    Dusty Solar Expert Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #32
    Thanks @MrM1.  Frustrating for sure.  I'm really glad to see that someone (you) confirms using Pro 64-bit with no problems.
    @Dave Angelini, All my Schneider hardware has the latest firmware; XW6048, MPPT-60/150, SCP and combox.
    It's just so strange that my android tablet and Windows XP machine has no problems, but all three of my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers hang up trying to log on.  And I've used 4 different browsers and made sure java was up to date (Firefox doesn't use java anymore) with the same problem. 
    XW6048, 3.4KW PV, Grid-Tied, always tweaking.
  • Dusty
  • Dusty
    @MrM1 are you using Win 10 pro version 1803 latest OS build?  Just trying to find something different between your working system and mine.
  • Dusty
    If I refresh the browser with the "loading in progress" screen, I get this every time:  This is why the first Schneider engineer gave me an RMA for the first combox.  I now have two different case numbers, since the same thing is happening with the second combox. But at least I can rule out the combox itself as being the problem. 

• MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    I might not be up to date.  Here is where I am ...

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • MrM1
    Im afraid to update now based on your issues.
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • Dusty
    MrM1 said:
    I might not be up to date.  Here is where I am ...

That's a really old version. That's not even the Fall 2017 update.  I'd be concerned about the latest vulnerabilities discovered in the OS, but if you're worried about it no longer working with the Combox, maybe you can borrow someone else's computer that's up to date to test?  I'd hate for you to keep from updating it just because Murphy's Law is alive and well and living in MY computers!
  • MrM1
    Well that is true.  :hushed:   This is my wife's PC ... I did not realize she was not keeping up ... lol
  • MrM1
    I'll bring my lap top home from work later,  look at it's version and test. 

More later,  good luck

Mike
  • Dusty
    Ok, thanks. 
  • Dusty
    Check this out.  I powered up a MSI laptop running Windows 10 Home Edition.  It's got the Spring 2018 update, but not the absolute latest update.  I'll do that in a minute.  But look!  No lag or disconnects.
  • Dusty

• Dusty
    @MrM1 This should make you happy...sort of. I updated the MSI laptop to the absolute latest edition of Windows 10 Home edition, and it still works fine with the combox.  I also tested it with both wireless and gigabit ethernet, and it works fine on both pipes.
    So my next step will be to power up another laptop that uses Windows 10 Pro.  This time, it will not be an Alienware brand computer.  My Alienware laptop has a KabyLake processor, and the other two desktops were also Alienwares but with Haswell-E CPUs.  The MSI laptop has a Broadwell CPU.  I had forgotten that it came with Windows 10 Home and not Pro.  The next laptop will be a Toshiba Qosmio running a 2nd or 3rd gen i7 cpu.
  • MrM1
    You have a lot of processors ;)
  • Dusty
    Yup.  My mistake was starting with the three newest ones.....
  • Dusty
    Oh man...The Qosmio works, but it's Windows 10 Home too!
  • Dusty
    Core duo Lenovo ThinkPad works....Windows 10 Home again.
  • Dusty
    Alienware #4 laptop with Skylake CPU and with Windows 10 Pro.  Same problem with the combox.  I'm definitely seeing a pattern here....
  • MrM1
    edited August 2018 #50
    I knew there was something wrong with Aliens

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @MrM1 said:
    > I knew there was something wrong with Aliens

Maybe the don't like Windows :smile:
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • MrM1
    I think most of the Aliens designed their Ware  to run on Linux
  • Estragon
    I wouldn't be surprised if the combox runs some sort of *nix.

I doubt it's the cpu, maybe something in the ethernet hard/firmware, but my guess is a setting in the o/s.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dusty
    Just got one of my only non-alienware computers with Windows 10 Pro updated, and it runs the combox fine.  So now the question is, why are all of my Alienware computers not working with the combox?
  • Estragon
    Is the computer Win10 configured exactly the same as the alienware ones?

If so, maybe a bug/feature in the ethernet firmware? Might be worth a look at bios defaults for ethernet?
    Off-grid.  
  • Dusty
    The weird thing is, I can browse with the Alienware computers to my router and ping the combox with no errors and 1.8ms latency.  But I can't browse directly into the combox without major sluggishness and dropouts.  I wonder if it's an Alienware bios issue.  What a pain, since those are the computers I use the most.
  • Estragon
    Ping is not the same as http(s). There's obviously something preventing the Win10/alienware boxes from playing nice with the combox.

My understanding of alienware is it's meant to optimize gaming experience, which may suggest it may not be all that conservative in implementing protocol level stuff in firmware, which might work well in games, but break something with the combox. Pure guesswork though.

My thought was there may be a bios option which makes the ethernet behave in a way that makes nice with the combox.
    Off-grid.  
  • Dusty
    Estragon said:
    Ping is not the same as http(s). There's obviously something preventing the Win10/alienware boxes from playing nice with the combox.

My understanding of alienware is it's meant to optimize gaming experience, which may suggest it may not be all that conservative in implementing protocol level stuff in firmware, which might work well in games, but break something with the combox. Pure guesswork though.

My thought was there may be a bios option which makes the ethernet behave in a way that makes nice with the combox.
    You could be right.  I'm just glad to finally prove once and for all that my network and the combox are working fine.  The Android app is okay, but I like the format of the windows-based software better.  Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to get the Alienware computers to play nice with the combox...it's the only hardware I have that has an issue with them.
  • MrM1
    edited August 2018 #59
    Ok Dusty,  I just checked my work lap top.  It was also running 1607, and had no trouble running the combox browser page.    As I really dislike windows forcing auto updates down everyone's throat and giving power users no option as to how updates are received as they had for years,  the only work around is to set your wifi connection to "metered" so windows only updates when you tell it. 

Tonight I told it to update,  now running 1803.  Combox still runs fine in a browser - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.   But if I turn my Antivirus on,  combox browser window becomes very sluggish and stops responding for a few seconds,  but does not crash (at least not yet).  Yet combox with antivirus on is nearly impossible to use.
  • Dusty
    MrM1 said:
    Ok Dusty,  I just checked my work lap top.  It was also running 1607, and had no trouble running the combox browser page.    As I really dislike windows forcing auto updates down everyone's throat and giving power users no option as to how updates are received as they had for years,  the only work around is to set your wifi connection to "metered" so windows only updates when you tell it. 

Tonight I told it to update,  now running 1803.  Combox still runs fine in a browser - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.   But if I turn my Antivirus on,  combox browser window becomes very sluggish and stops responding for a few seconds,  but does not crash (at least not yet).  Yet combox with antivirus on is nearly impossible to use.
    Is that the Avast antivirus you spoke of previously, or Defender?
    Thanks for doing the update to help validate my issue.  Once I found a non-Alienware computer that had Windows 10 Pro (and Defender is active on that one), I had no problems at all with the combox.  Finding what is common with two different Alienware desktops and two laptops that could be causing the problem is going to be quite a challenge.  But at least I know it isn't a Windows 10 Pro issue, so that's progress!  I'll start with the Ethernet adapter settings, as @Estragon suggested.  I don't believe the desktop and laptops have the same model adapter, and it happens both with the wireless adapter as well as the Ethernet.
    Thanks again.
  • Dusty
    I started with the Ethernet Adapter.  It's a Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.  It is the exact same controller as is in the MSI laptop that works fine with the combox.  I went into Device Manager and checked all the Advanced parameters, and they all match.  The driver version is the same.  Both computers are using the same Windows Defender anti-virus software and firewall settings are the same.