Lifeline L16 Charge Rate

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I am trying to confirm the charge rate for Lifeline L16 6 volt 400ah AGMs, have a message in to Lifeline but no reply so far. Most manufacturer's rates are C/10 but in some of the Lifeline literature they make a reference of .2C which would be C/5 (80 amps). Any Lifeline users know a definitive charge rate? I have an SW4024 that has a 90 amp charger capability and right now I have it set at C/10 (40 amps). I won't be using the charger that much but would like to be sure when I do.

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    stmar said:
    I am trying to confirm the charge rate for Lifeline L16 6 volt 400ah AGMs, have a message in to Lifeline but no reply so far. Most manufacturer's rates are C/10 but in some of the Lifeline literature they make a reference of .2C which would be C/5 (80 amps). Any Lifeline users know a definitive charge rate? I have an SW4024 that has a 90 amp charger capability and right now I have it set at C/10 (40 amps). I won't be using the charger that much but would like to be sure when I do.
    Found this site. Has per battery charge rates.

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/pv-solar/agm/111-ah/gpl-l16t.html

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • stmar
    The manual referenced there was where I found the .2C. I am trying to get some real world input to see if Lifeline owners are using that spec. Thanks.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Lifelines are a very good AGM type battery and can take high(er) charging current... However, in normal operation make sure the charging voltage/setpoints are correct. AGMs do not like high charging voltages (at any current) as they will get hot (catalyst overheats) and eventually vent. As the batteries get over ~80% state of charge (with the proper setpoint), they naturally start to reduce the charging current (Bulk=full charging current from charger below setpoint voltage; Absorb=charger at setpoint voltage and battery is accepting less current than the charger is capable of; Float=lower voltage to keep battery charged against self discharge and other DC loads--I know you know this--Just being complete for others reading your question).

Lead Acid batteries, in general (excluding many GEL type), can accept higher rates of charge at less than 80% State of Charge--At that level, LA batteries are very efficient (most charging current goes into charging, no gassing, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar
    The new SW4024 seems to have a different way of using battery and grid and that is why I wanted to hear from other Lifeline owners. During the day my PV charges the bank fully and the SW uses some of that energy in conjunction with the grid and the bank holds enough energy throughout the night, so far, that the voltage never drops to the level of instigating a charge cycle. This winter I am sure that will change with less sun plus snow and grid outages  so I was trying to get a clarification on whether to leave it on 40 amps or increase it to 80 amps for my 4 X 6 volt 400ah battery bank.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    In general, Lead Acid batteries do a bit better with longer charging times and 10% rate of charge vs 20% and short charging times... So, assuming you don't need 20% rate of charge, backing down to 10% will probably help give your batteries a longer life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar
    That is what I have it set at now, 40 amps for 400ah batteries, so I will leave it and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The faster you bulk charge the longer the absorb cycle would take to fully saturate the batteries. If absorbing by % of capacity anyway. If a timed event you would either want to extend absorb time or keep bulk current at 10% of ah. capacity

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• stmar
    I put absorb to 2 hours, hold over from my old Trace days, but default with the new inverter is 3 hours and that is what the Lifeline spec sheet stated so thanks for that info.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #10
    Lifeline batteries may be charged at up to 5C. Yes, I do mean 5 times the C/20 rating.Yes, I have many applications that utilize their capability for extreme charge rates.

If you re-read the manual you will see that. It is also clear that 0.20C is the minimum charge rate for deep cycle (below 50% DOD) applications.

Remember that Lifeline batteries will only draw .005/C when fully charged (0.50 amps per hundred amps of battery capacity) so an extra hour at 2 amps is not going to hurt the battery!

Feel free to call Lifeline and use my name with anyone who answers the phone to verify my veracity.

Marc Kurth

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.