XW 6048 - A/C Passthru vs. inverter power usage

Dusty
Dusty Solar Expert Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
In the evening, when my solar panels are no longer producing any power, the 6048 inverter enters "A/C Passthru" mode. At this point, I've been setting my Midnight Solar E-panel to "bypass" and turning the 6048 off.

I don't want to let the inverter use 30+ watts all night long doing nothing, but at the same time, I know that thermal breakdown of components can shorten the life of a power system. (I'm a Navy radar technician, so my experience is limited to very high voltage, high power systems.)

When the XW-6048 is in A/C passthru, should I be shutting it down every night, or is it wiser in the long run to leave it on?:confused:
XW6048, 3.4KW PV, Grid-Tied, always tweaking.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: XW 6048 - A/C Passthru vs. inverter power usage

Turn it off, see what happens.
    Likely as not the AC stops "passing through" because the XW isn't powered so the relay doesn't click. Not sure that's the way they are wired, but it's what you get with most off-grid inverters: no battery, no power.

You could install a transfer switch to "work around" the inverter if this is the case (switch loads from the inverter's AC OUT to the AC IN so they run 'directly' from the power source).
  • Dusty
    Turn it off, see what happens.
    Likely as not the AC stops "passing through" because the XW isn't powered so the relay doesn't click. Not sure that's the way they are wired, but it's what you get with most off-grid inverters: no battery, no power.

You could install a transfer switch to "work around" the inverter if this is the case (switch loads from the inverter's AC OUT to the AC IN so they run 'directly' from the power source).

The Midnight Solar E-panel allows me to bypass AC OUT so I can shut off the inverter without dropping power to the subpanel. In Bypass, the AC1 input goes directly to the sub-panel. However, it was my understanding that even with the inverter in AC Passthru it was still using at least 28 watts. Search mode won't work in my house.

My concern is that I might be reducing the life of the inverter by shutting it completely off every evening, letting all the components cool, and then turning it on the next morning. Saving 300+ watts every night but having to replace a $3k inverter two years sooner because of component breakdown is probably not a good return on investment. Or perhaps I'm just paranoid.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the Xantrex inverter/chargers. On the Outback inverter/charger I can turn off the charger mode and/or the inverter mode. When I do that the inverter/charger is still connected to the battery and draws a tiny phantom load.

Are you saying that this is not possible with the Xantrex?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shut it off, The XW component ratings are way overspec'd. They have to be to meet the MTBF specifications, The inverter pretty much doesnt even get hot during operation. If its one thing that X had it was good electrical engineers who designed this box. Software is another story...
  • Dusty
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I am not familiar with the Xantrex inverter/chargers. On the Outback inverter/charger I can turn off the charger mode and/or the inverter mode. When I do that the inverter/charger is still connected to the battery and draws a tiny phantom load.

Are you saying that this is not possible with the Xantrex?

--vtMaps

On the System Control Panel (SCP), I can turn off both charger and Inverter modes, but neither the installation or operation manuals indicate what the phantom load would be in this configuration. It only indicates a 28 watt load when idle, and an 8 watt load when in Search Mode.

Maybe I can put the MS E-panel in bypass and then put the inverter/charger in Search Mode. That's worth trying. I can live with a 8 watt load and leave the 6048 powered up.
  • Dusty
    Joe_B wrote: »
    Shut it off, The XW component ratings are way overspec'd. They have to be to meet the MTBF specifications, The inverter pretty much doesnt even get hot during operation. If its one thing that X had it was good electrical engineers who designed this box. Software is another story...

Thanks Joe, that makes me feel better about turning it completely off at night.

Have you ever used Search Mode in your 4024? If so, does it show up on the SCP status?

I'm hoping that with Sell still enabled at night with the loads disconnected, the unit will still enter Search Mode as long as the PVs are not producing. If I forget to put the loads back online in the morning, the system will still come out of search mode and sell to the grid. (just yesterday I was in a rush to get to work, and I forgot to turn the inverter back on. Missed a whole day's harvest!)
  • Joe_B
    Dusty wrote: »
    Thanks Joe, that makes me feel better about turning it completely off at night.

Have you ever used Search Mode in your 4024? If so, does it show up on the SCP status?

No, mine runs 24/7/365
    I'm hoping that with Sell still enabled at night with the loads disconnected, the unit will still enter Search Mode as long as the PVs are not producing. If I forget to put the loads back online in the morning, the system will still come out of search mode and sell to the grid. (just yesterday I was in a rush to get to work, and I forgot to turn the inverter back on. Missed a whole day's harvest!)

I think the only way to reduce the phantom load to zero is to disconnect the AC from AC1 / AC2. I think even in search mode, there is some draw from the grid. I am not sure what happens with search and sell, I dont use either mode.

Dont know where you are getting the 30 watts for the phantom load, mine sucks down about 60 - 80 watts off the grid whenever the grid is present. If you do the math, you get 70*24*7*365 which gives you about a 4.3KWH per year suck factor.
  • Dusty
    No, mine runs 24/7/365

I think the only way to reduce the phantom load to zero is to disconnect the AC from AC1 / AC2. I think even in search mode, there is some draw from the grid. I am not sure what happens with search and sell, I dont use either mode.

Dont know where you are getting the 30 watts for the phantom load, mine sucks down about 60 - 80 watts off the grid whenever the grid is present. If you do the math, you get 70*24*7*365 which gives you about a 4.3KWH per year suck factor.

In the Operations Manual, Appendix A Table A-1 Specifications states the idle consumption in Invert Mode with no load is 28 watts. In Search Mode it's 8 watts. I know what you mean though--usually when I'm looking at the SCP, the difference between the load and the output of the inverter is more like 50 watts. That's why I was shutting it completely down every night. But forgetting to turn it on on one of the sunniest days I've had so far hurt! My best daily harvest so far was 12.3Kw with 2.6Kw worth of panels (before derating them). On that day, my meter only incremented by one KWh. Of course, that was before the heat wave hit. Now my geothermal heat pump is running, and my daily net usage is around 17Kwh.

I'm not sure if the unit will ever go into Search Mode at night if Sell is enabled, but I'll give it a try. That way, if I forget to take the E-panel out of Bypass before heading off for work, I'll still be selling and not losing the entire harvest.
  • Cariboocoot

Disconnect the DC to the inverter. Disconnect the AC loads from the inverter. Disconnect the AC power from the inverter. Pretty sure the consumption drops to 0 then, even with a Xantrex. How convenient it is to do this is another issue.

Dusty, you're looking at the DC consumption for running the inverter full (28 Watts) or in search (8 Watts). Joe is talking about the XW pulling AC from the mains while doing basically nothing.

Meanwhile, vtMaps and I are chanting "so glad I bought an Outback!" :p (Yes, I know the installs are not comparable; just jerking the XW chain.)
  • Joe_B
    Specifications states the idle consumption in Invert Mode with no load is 28 watts

I am not sure that specification tells the whole story when you operate in grid support mode. I do see the 30 watts when I disconnect the grid and look at battery current but in grid support mode, there is a lot more going on. I have seen it get as high as 80 watts but when in GSM, the currents are bouncing all over the place.
  • Dusty
    I am not sure that specification tells the whole story when you operate in grid support mode. I do see the 30 watts when I disconnect the grid and look at battery current but in grid support mode, there is a lot more going on. I have seen it get as high as 80 watts but when in GSM, the currents are bouncing all over the place.

Yup, I hear ya. Things stabilize at night when the unit goes into A/C Passthru.

Regarding Search Mode, here's what the manual says:

Using Search Mode
    Why use Search
    mode?
    Search mode allows the inverter to selectively power only items that draw more
    than a certain amount of power, which can result in power savings. The Xantrex
    XW Series Inverter/Charger has a no-load power draw of about 28 watts.
    Enabling search mode reduces this power draw to less than 8 watts.
    Search mode operates differently in single-unit and multi-unit installations.
    -Single units: When a single Xantrex XW Series Inverter/Charger has search mode enabled,
    the inverter sends electrical search pulses through its AC output. These search
    pulses look for connected AC loads. The delay between search pulses is set
    using the Search Delay setting. After a load larger than the Search Watts
    setting is detected, the inverter starts producing AC output

It doesn't mention how Search Mode interacts with Sell Mode via AC1--only that it monitors the loads on AC OUT. I can't see the system being able to put the inverter in Search mode if it's actively selling to the grid, but I wonder if it would go into Search Mode at night when the system goes into AC passthru. I'll check that tonight.
  • Dusty

:p
    Disconnect the DC to the inverter. Disconnect the AC loads from the inverter. Disconnect the AC power from the inverter. Pretty sure the consumption drops to 0 then, even with a Xantrex. How convenient it is to do this is another issue.

Dusty, you're looking at the DC consumption for running the inverter full (28 Watts) or in search (8 Watts). Joe is talking about the XW pulling AC from the mains while doing basically nothing.

Meanwhile, vtMaps and I are chanting "so glad I bought an Outback!" :p (Yes, I know the installs are not comparable; just jerking the XW chain.)

Oh, I thought the 28 watts was what was pulled from the mains when in grid support and there was no load on AC OUT. I wasn't thinking about the DC wattage. Thanks!

But if I'd bought an Outback, what would I do with all my spare time?!:p
  • Joe_B

I am not sure that search and sell modes have anything to do with each other. The way search works is to periodically power up the inverter to look for a load. Given that the power goes down by a factor of 3.5 or so that would imply a duty cycle of around 30%. Sell depends on the battery bank voltage. As long as the battery bank voltage is above a certain level, the excess will be pumped back to the grid. Since you have a pretty small battery bank, I would guess that as soon as the PV stops producing, the sell mode terminates. Search mode only looks at the AC loads and therefore I do not believe that the modes will interact but the only way to find out is to try it and possibly uncover new bugs! Good luck....
  • Cariboocoot

You'd be reading the bloody programming manual! :p
  • Dusty
    I am not sure that search and sell modes have anything to do with each other. The way search works is to periodically power up the inverter to look for a load. Given that the power goes down by a factor of 3.5 or so that would imply a duty cycle of around 30%. Sell depends on the battery bank voltage. As long as the battery bank voltage is above a certain level, the excess will be pumped back to the grid. Since you have a pretty small battery bank, I would guess that as soon as the PV stops producing, the sell mode terminates. Search mode only looks at the AC loads and therefore I do not believe that the modes will interact but the only way to find out is to try it and possibly uncover new bugs! Good luck....

I usually shut the inverter down in the evening when the SCP shows <50 watts output from the MPPT-60. My Victron history H1 shows that my deepest discharge has been less than 5Ah so far. I'm sure that you're right--having such a small battery bank, it wouldn't take long for the battery bank voltage to reach GSV -0.5V and turn off Sell Mode. It will be interesting to see what the Victron shows for the SOC when that happens. And I'm still hoping that once the unit goes into AC passthru with the loads removed from AC OUT (E-panel in Bypass), the 6048 will enter Search mode at night. Hopefully it will "wake up" when the PV output is high enough to sell to the grid the next morning.
  • Dusty
    You'd be reading the bloody programming manual! :p

Wow, a programming manual? You aren't locked into buggy firmware???!

:D
  • Joe_B
    Wow, a programming manual? You aren't locked into buggy firmware???!

:D

Stop it, just stop it!
  • Dusty
    Stop it, just stop it!
    Sorry Joe, couldn't resist.:blush:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p

Oh, I thought the 28 watts was what was pulled from the mains when in grid support and there was no load on AC OUT. I wasn't thinking about the DC wattage. Thanks!

Wind the transformer you need for the 240V well pump.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dusty

With Search mode enabled and all loads on AC Out bypassed, the system would not go into Search as long as Sell was enabled--even if the panels weren't putting out any power. Since My GSV is set to 64V to enable Enhanced Interactive Mode, I wasn't sure how deep the discharge of my battery bank would occur, so I shut the system off when my SOC was about 92%.

This morning, when I turned on the unit, it briefly went into Search mode but then immediately came back out--even though AC Out was still in Bypass. There wasn't any input power from the PV array yet, so I have to assume that having Sell enabled interferes with Search Mode, even if the inverter isn't actively selling.
  • Joe_B
    There wasn't any input power from the PV array yet, so I have to assume that having Sell enabled interferes with Search Mode, even if the inverter isn't actively selling.

Congratulations, you found your first new bug... Err I mean "feature" Here is the number for SE tech support

1-866-519-1470
  • Dusty
    Congratulations, you found your first new bug... Err I mean "feature" Here is the number for SE tech support

1-866-519-1470

You were just itching to give me that number, weren't you??? :p

This evening, I'll try turning Sell off and see if that "solves" the problem. I didn't want to let my batteries run too far down, but I could have let them go lower than 92%--but that's just a waste of power and harder on the batteries than I'd like.
  • Dusty
    edited July 2018 #24
    Even with Sell and Grid Support disabled, the XW6048 would not go into Search Mode.  Only when I disconnected AC1 from my main distribution panel with no loads present at the AC Out sub-panel would the inverter go into Search Mode.  So, it's a useless function if you are Grid-Tied.  Bummer!
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the case it is doing exactly what it suppose to. You have to much load on your AC out subpanel and it is keeping the inverter on.
    There are more advanced choices with a combox and XW+ modern firmware.
    If you have any grid or gen input you would not want search anyway.

Most offgrid/back-up large power systems, that would use a large inverter like the XW, do not use the search function in my opinion.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dusty
    edited July 2018 #26
    If this is the case it is doing exactly what it suppose to. You have to much load on your AC out subpanel and it is keeping the inverter on.
    There are more advanced choices with a combox and XW+ modern firmware.
    If you have any grid or gen input you would not want search anyway.

Most offgrid/back-up large power systems, that would use a large inverter like the XW, do not use the search function in my opinion.

When the E-panel is in Bypass, there is zero load on the inverter's AC OUT circuit.  Power is going straight from my distribution panel to the sub-panel and not through the inverter. My hope was that at night, I could put the E-panel in bypass, and the 80W or so phantom load from the inverter would be reduced to the 8W Search load because it would not see any loads on AC OUT.  When the sun goes down, the inverter isn't doing anything for me except on those rare occasions when I need a whole house UPS.  But I can't open the AC1 CB, because even in Bypass, that kills AC power to my subpanel.  My flawed understanding was that search mode would use only 8 watts of power when there was zero load on AC OUT (like when the E-panel is in Bypass), but the documentation did not say that you couldn't be grid-tied at the same time (even if you aren't in SELL, GRID SUPPORT is disabled, and AC OUT has zero load on it).  That's why I tried turning off Sell and Grid Support first, but it still wouldn't go into Search mode even with the E-panel in Bypass.  Only by opening the AC1 CB would the inverter go into Search mode while the E-panel was in Bypass. So, as is stands with the XW6048's 1.07 firmware, Search Mode can only be used in an off-grid configuration. And after speaking with Tech Support yesterday, there will be no more firmware updates for the old, XW6048.  
  • Dave Angelini
    An XW that is on with no load on it is about 30 watts. Not sure where you get 80w? I think you wired something wrong as you proved that the inverter does go into search right?

There will be no more firmware because the XW is obsolete and replaced by XW+ about 5 years back.

The XW can have most of its functions controlled by mod bus but that is probably not worth the work of doing.

Search is mainly from the old days of back-up and offgrid when solar was expensive or systems were very small. An extra solar panel would easily make-up for your losses. Maybe someone else will have a glimmer. Good Luck.

• Dusty
    An XW that is on with no load on it is about 30 watts. Not sure where you get 80w? I think you wired something wrong as you proved that the inverter does go into search right?

There will be no more firmware because the XW is obsolete and replaced by XW+ about 5 years back.

The XW can have most of its functions controlled by mod bus but that is probably not worth the work of doing.

Search is mainly from the old days of back-up and offgrid when solar was expensive or systems were very small. An extra solar panel would easily make-up for your losses. Maybe someone else will have a glimmer. Good Luck.
    The manual says 28 watts, but only 8 watts in Search Mode.  It's other people on this site that have said it uses more like 80 watts according to what they're seeing on their AC1 and battery monitor. 

I realize that the XW is obsolete (yet was designed for a 10+ year useful life).  That doesn't mean that the mfr couldn't still support it with firmware upgrades.

As far as Search Mode goes, if their instruction manual had been more "instructive," I wouldn't have to be running all these tests to prove that what they say is possible, just isn't in certain circumstances. How hard would it have been for the manual to say "Search Mode only functions in an off-grid configuration?  Would have saved me a whole lot of head-scratching.  
  • Dave Angelini
    Well it does function for you if you disconnect the XW output right or did I miss that. 30 watts is close enough ;)  Buy a solar panel :)

It will last for 10 years and alot more if you have surge protection on DC and AC. I have 3 that have been running since 2007 and in pretty harsh conditions. The only problems I have seen are grid people getting surges or generators that bang the input relays to death.

The reason I mentioned modbus programming is because that will remove the grid and it will function as an offgrid inverter. I have done this with help of a friend who speaks modbus. We did this for a large microgrid.

Using an XW in a grid interactive mode is one of the most complex projects there is. It always surprises me that people who do this including the Outback Radian crowd jump in without using a forum like this to speed up their knowledge. Schneider and Outback have dozens of u-tubes and there are also the individual users who post them.

I have had clients who paid me to read the manual to them and interprete with my experience. Maybe someone else here will give you a better option.

Gotta go we have another wildfire....

• Dusty
    edited July 2018 #30
    Yes, I agree. It does function as advertised--but only if I disconnect AC1 from the grid and run it as though it was off grid--as well as having the Midnight Solar E-panel in bypass so the inverter doesn't see any loads on AC OUT.  It's been running great since 2012. I do have surge protection on both DC and AC legs, as well as at the combiner box.

I used this forum when I first set my system up (which is how old this thread is that I started back then).  I learned a whole lot back then, and I'm still learning as I continue to tinker with the system.  I added four additional 200W panels last month which brings me to 3.4kw (2.6kw after de-rating).  The system has worked like a champ, but I like to try to conserve as many electrons as possible.  Thanks!

I hope you stay safe and get some rain to help out with those terrible wildfires.
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Dusty but first rains here in the mountains are in October ;) 
    We are fairly safe in that we built the home with the idea that there would be no fire engines to defend us.

A navy radar guy, cool. There generations of navy here including one Italian.

I was thinking of reasons why your problem exists and sometimes it is for other reasons that designers choose to ignore an issue.
    If you had multiple inverters (master /slave) the main inverter can not ever be allowed to go to search.
    Another reason is if you had a back-up inverter wired, the main can't be in search because the spare will not come on with the search pulses from the main. Probably more reasons....