SW4024 Float or not to Float Questions?

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I am just about ready to flip the switch and test the new SW4024, had quite a process getting it to this point going from 120 volts to 240 volts, more to change than first thought.
The manual has "Regular AC Support without Xanbus devices": Is this the setting I would use since I have a Prostar controller for my solar array or is there another basic setting that would be better/simplier? And why does it say to use "2 stage no Float"? My battery bank is 4 X Lifeline AGM 400ah 6 volt and with my old SW4024 Float was the normal state. I have the manufacturers voltage settings for Bulk, Absorb and Float and even Conditioning/Equalizing (unique for an AGM) although they say to only use Conditioning in extreme circumstances and my batteries seem to be in good shape. 
Any other settings suggestions/opinions would be appreciated. 

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #2
    Where in the manual dose it mention "2 stage no float" I skimmed through the manual but couldn't find, or missed that statement, I did read that when connected to grid with a standby battery, it's advantageous to have float enabled  to ensure the batteries are always topped up and ready when called upon. Are you using any other features, load shaving or load assist or is this strictly a backup system?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmar
    edited July 2018 #3
    I will be using it as a backup system. I am probably overthinking it, the 2StgNoFloat is on page 6 Regular AC Support without Xanbus Devices of the Documentation Update 976-0315-01-01 Rev D and in the Owner's Manual page 1-11.
    It says:"For regular AC support mode set the CSW's battery charge cycle to 2StgNoFloat to allow AC Support feature to function immediately after the absorption charge stage."
    I probably want to just set it up as a basic UPS and may not be understanding "AC Support Mode".
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    In general, the AC support mode is used when, for example, you have a 1,600 Watt genset (~13 amps AC) and have >2,000 Watt loads (hair drier, well pump, etc.).

The inverter will supply the "extra" current needed to run loads larger than the genset itself can manage. Actually, a very nice feature. You get a smaller/more energy efficient genset that supports your "average" loads... And the inverter supports the peak loads from battery (and solar) when needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar
    Thanks, I was not understanding "AC Support Mode", I thought that it was the basic program.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    AC support mode only works if the loads are very balanced over L1 / L2
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • MrM1
    I'd use 3 stage charging and custom settings not the defaults for battery type. The charger is finicky.
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • stmar
    Now it makes sense, I was just going down the rabbit hole, overthinking. My Lifeline AGMs do have specific voltages for charge stages per manufacturer and I will do 3 stage. Thanks for all the input.
  • stmar
    edited July 2018 #9
    For my situation, mainly backup/UPS, would it be a good idea to "Disable" the AC Support Mode since it looks like the default is "Enable"? If not are the default settings okay for this option?
    Also I received a USB thumb drive with my order, SW4024 and SCP, but nothing in the documentation about what it is associated with. I would assume it is for firmwear/version  update. Neither the SW4024 or the SCP has a USB port so how would you use this?
  • MrM1
    edited July 2018 #10
    The thumb drive contains the manual and documentation. I do not think u can do a firmware update to the SW unless u Also have the combox. The combox is the only product that will have a USB input. I have both the SCP and combox, but if I had to choose between the two - AND - I had the system on a LAN With a connected pc/tablet... I'd choose the combox

AC support mode is designed to support a battery bank with grid connection. It is supposed to be an interactive system, where u supply the AC loads connected to the inverter with battery / alt energy power until those sources fall below a user selected battery voltage or SOC (if u have the optional battery monitor), etc. When the bank starts approaching the user set threshold, more and more of the load will be supplied by the grid until the threshold is met. At that point the inverter will switch over to 100% grid power and depending on Ur settings will begin to charge the batteries from grid or genny. Once charging is complete the system starts over. Batteries / alt energy sources take over and grid power supply lowers almost completely.

It's a nice idea...but unfortunately only works in North America if Ur L1 and L2 are almost perfectly balanced. When they get out of balance, the system starts drawing from grid.

Only u can decide if AC support mode is right for Ur setting. But it covered very well in the manual.
  • stmar
    Thanks, guess I will play with it and see how it acts/works for my situation.