New Inverter

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I have been running a Trace/Xantrex SW4024 for over 15 years, had it rebuilt once about 7 years ago, AC coil burned out. Same thing just happened after a power outage. It just happened so I am evaluating my options whether to get it fixed, which is a hassle shipping a 100# item, or to replace it with new technology. What is a reliable 4KW 24V inverter nowadays? I have a 400AH battery bank, 4 X 6 volt Lifelines and a solar array. I had the inverter repaired by a company in Washington state and they were  knowledgeable and did a good job but parts for these old units are getting hard to find so it may be time to update. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were  happy with the service of the SW 4024, perhaps a Conext SW or.XW will satisfy your needs, 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As mcgivor said plus the new gear all has far superior communication and web monitoring anywhere in the world. And parts availability :)
    The new CSW is alot lighter but the XW is no longer made for 24V. 48 volt only!

So the divers have 8 of the kids out? Pretty amazing scary to be towing a young kid on scuba that has never been trained. For the kid as well. What in the heck was the coach thinking.....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• stmar
    That looks like a decent unit and is reasonable. Would it be a plug and play item with my current setup? I have breakers and controller for my solar array and a main fused switch for my AGM battery bank to inverter and a 60 amp breaker from my main grid panel. I am trying to watch some videos on it but can't get a clear picture whether I need an additional part to program it. I really don't plan on anything too elaborate like remote monitoring. Is it configured for a residential grid tie system out of the box.
    Thanks.

• Dave Angelini
    You will need the SCP or combox to program it. The defaults are pretty useless. If you do not buy the DC conduit box you will need to safely wire it to an existing DC main battery breaker and use the existing old SW DC conduit box breakers for your CC. It can be done but this is not an inverter that can sell to the grid!  Roger? 

• stmar
    I don't sell back to the grid, use the system basically for a whole house UPS system. After seeing a few videos the combox looks like a decent investment for what you get. So with what I have; breakers, switches, controller, battery fused disconnect switch, I should be able to use these existing items with a Conext and the combox for good measure.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    not sure what the coach was thinking , But he is only 24 ..... back when i was 24 i easily made stupid decisions . None that have Killed me. 
    Even in my 60's im capable of silly decisions . 
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Interesting cave system, team hike, local weather OK, remote downpour miles (or farther away)--People get trapped.

Sounds like their exit route was blocked and they "escaped" deeper into the cave system as the waters rose. There was even thoughts that they would camp in the upper reaches of the cave until the rains ended (bring supplies by divers as needed)--But I guess that there was concern that even those higher reaches could/would flood as the rainy season rolled in.

They were very lucky that somebody actually found them and got the help they needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar
    Hopefully they will all get out safely.
    I usually don't make decisions this fast but I am about ready to pull the trigger on the SW4024. Am I correct that with my current equipment I will need the Conext SW4024 120/240 865-4024 split phase unit and the combox RNW8651058 to replace my Trace SW4024? This will be an upgrade with the capability of 240 volts.  I want to take advantage of our sponsor's free shipping and it ends today, but I also want to be sure I get the correct equipment. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
  • Dave Angelini
    I think you will be fine. The store here will answer reasonable questions also. You do have handyman/electrical skill right?  You may need to balance the 120vac loads on your panel for a split phase inverter. Might not need to do anything if you have a critical load sub-panel.

The cave dwellers were very lucky for sure! i did not realize the coach was so young. That always puzzled me...

I was also curios of mcgivors take as he lives in country?

• stmar
    I was an electrician in a previous life and maintaining this system for almost 20 years I know a little bit, probably enough to get me in trouble, lol. I will double check the panel and make sure it is balanced as close as I can get. The main sub panel is full and there are no large loads on any one circuit.
    24 year old leading a bunch of teens, been there done that. Like herding cats. Just glad they are making progress.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The rescue is done, it was a rase against time, the prospect of waiting out the rainy season was more to do with the diminished oxygen level and the rising CO2, four months is a long time to to supply oxygen. Rainfall is unpredictable here, one location could receive 200 mm in one hour but 5Km away could receive nothing, they made the right decision in my opinion. Personally I'm hoping for rain, it's late this year, the rice is planted and  in the tillering stage,  just need water, but not too much.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmar
    edited July 2018 #13
    I went with the SCP, they did not have the combox in stock, I could have gotten it somewhere else but I didn't want to complicate matters. Plus I wanted to support the forum sponsor. Quick decision but it seemed like everything fell into place with the forum members comments and who can complain about free shipping, that's like 5%.

P.S. Glad those kids got out, quite an experience for them.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll be fine with the SCP. The combox actually requires a little more set up and a LAN and some type of computer or tablet to operate. You can get the combox later if you want. They are handy, but the SCP is more direct to the inverter. And IMHO more reliable.
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • stmar
    You will need the SCP or combox to program it. The defaults are pretty useless. If you do not buy the DC conduit box you will need to safely wire it to an existing DC main battery breaker and use the existing old SW DC conduit box breakers for your CC. It can be done but this is not an inverter that can sell to the grid!  Roger? 

Dave,
    I have my new SW4024, doing the install, and was curious about  your statement that "the defaults are pretty useless". Can you elaborate on that and tell me which settings you changed? Thanks.