Inverter low output

Plucka
Plucka Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
My inverter output has dropped to 195 volts from 212 volts a couple of weeks ago. 3000watt pure sine rated at 200-240 volts.I checked inside and there was a switch whose highest position was 220volts The weather has changed from hot to cool and that is the only change I can think of.--3000 watt DC Master brand pure sine 12 volt inverter.Is my inverter dying YES/NO?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Measure the battery voltage, AC voltage can fluctuate in proportion to input voltage.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Plucka
    edited May 2018 #3
    Battery 360a/h lithium showing 13.5 volts with 10.2 amps charging from solar panels on a light cloudy day at 11am late autumn
  • mcgivor
    Is the AC voltage measured with or without load?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Plucka
    Measured without a load but output is slowly wandering between 189 to 195 volts and as I said it was 212 volts a couple of months ago.What made me check was my toaster was taking a lot longer to toast bread.
  • mcgivor
    Generally electronic devices don't die of cancer, they die due to major heart attack, here one minute gone the next.
    Try measuring AC voltage under load, it may be different to no load, ambient temperatures may change the value of electronic components which may in turn change the voltage, hense the tollerance in the specs, looking at the specs of my cheap inverter, it's +/- 10% voltage regulation, so at 220 V could be 190V or 242V, better quality will usually have less spread and I'm not talking Vegemite.
  • Plucka
    Laughing
  • Plucka
    Turned on a 240 volt caravan water pump 194.3 off 192.6 on. Seems too little difference.
  • Plucka
    Took the cover off the inverter -pull out all the fuses and then put them back ,touched this and wiggled that and now I'm getting 225 volts under load.FIXED
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Fuses are designed to be unreliable (pop if too much current).

Look for signs of heating or overheating (dirty or poor electrical connections).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Plucka
    Not fixed--- back to same problem so I've ordered a new inverter.Lucky i have a small [1000w] inverter which will just get me though the days till the new one arrives.It will run the 240 volt fridge and freezer and I have to turn these off if I want a cup of tea or toast.That's 4 chinese inverters over 14 years I've had to replace.
  • mcgivor
    Success in attrition, or would it have been better to buy quality from the get go, that is a question I ask myself, most of the quality items have failed, whilst the economy devices keep on working, strange how that works. There has to a line where sacrificial electronics outweigh the more expensive alternatives, one lightning strike could cripple an entire system, expensive to replace with high end equipment, cheaper and easier with low end, I'm pondering the question, having lost expensive equipment lately, however I digress.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your situation (high lightning risk), I'd probably lean towards the cheaper alternatives and spend some of the difference on a stock of spares.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Plucka
    Just installed my new 3000 watt inverter which seems to have a high output of 240>250 volts.The lights are brighter and the toaster takes half the time to make toast. Very pleased with it so far.