Are AC amps not the same value as DC amps?

JamesM
JamesM Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi, the first part of my question is whether AC and DC amps have different values or rating.
Here's way I'm asking. I have a chest freezer to be used in my cabin. It's rated at 0.5amps /110v.
Should I expect it to only consume 6amps from my battery for the 12hours I plan to run it?
Or, should I multiply 6amp value by 10 in order to get ( 60amps) as the DC amps required.
Or, do you get to the same point by converting to watts. eg. 110v * 0.5amps =55w therefore 12hours * 55wts = 660w
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 12VDC, amps will be 10x amps at 120VAC for a given wattage. 55 watts is 55 watts. What the freezer uses over time depends on lots of things, but say it's already cold with frozen food in it, and runs on a 1/3 duty cycle (ie actually running 20mins/hour). Estimated consumption would be 55w x 12hr ÷ .85 inverter losses ÷ 3 duty cycle = 259 watt-hours. 259wh/12v=~22 amp-hours from battery.

If it's in a hot place, filled with warm food, etc, expected duty cycle and consumption would obviously be higher. It may be worth actually measuring consumption with a kill-a-watt type meter to get a sense of what it actually takes to run in the location and way you expect to use it if planning a system to run it.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AC power has another component that DC seldom has,  Reactance.  Motor windings cause Amps and Volts to get out of line, and the inverter has to be able to support higher loading than simple resistance would be.   The net drain from batteries is the same.
    This is measured at Power Factor.  Motors, Generators and Inverters often have a PF rating.

BUT - with an inverter you have
    a) Conversion Losses  (most sinewave inverters can be figured 80-90% efficient. Specs will sometimes state more, but only at a cherry picked loading.)
    b)  Idle losses  The larger the inverter, the more power required to keep it powered up.

And, AC motors have starting surge, often 10x running load.  So for a fridge, you may require a 800W -1200w inverter to be able to start the motor, even though it runs on 55w

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    Something worth trying. I run a chest fridge at my camp and only run it during the day. I have large amounts of fluids to "store cold" through the night. Consumption in the day is double that calculated above. Adding extra panels is far more cost effective as a bigger battery. I use a 2,000W inverter only for the fridge which switches on by the thermostat to eliminate idle currents. All fans are removed as they are not needed with oversize inverter.  120A at startup @ 12V.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this helps,  maybe it does not, but  I found these calculators to be a "quick and dirty" for AC and DC amps

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion