Large charge controller costs

schmek
schmek Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
Hi,

I've been modelling a large off grid system with an installed solar capacity of around 170 kW (600 Volts), and I've been considering both AC coupled and DC coupled systems. I've reviewed Schneider's solutions, and noticed they deliver large charge controllers of 600 volts, 4800 Watts. I am doing an economical analysis and I am interested in the price difference between large solar charge controllers and solar inverters. The size of the charge controller/solar inverter can be assumed to 110 kW. I've read that solar string inverters go for 100 dollars/kW for this system size (report from NREL).

Does anyone have any information about the approximate cost of large charge controllers (dollars/kW) with a system of this size?

Any information is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sindre

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018 #2

Morningstar also makes a high voltage controller.

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-mppt-600v/

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sindre,  They should be contacting you, please let me know that they did. The schneider 600 v mppt is around $1K US wholesale, it will handle about 6KW of solar panels.

They make huge Utility scale mppts and inverters and a guy named Lloyd should be getting in touch. They have a group near you in Norway.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• schmek
    schmek Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks a lot, got the email now. Appreciate your help! :smiley: