alternative method for connecting the AC out Terminals on my inverter

Nabiru3
Nabiru3 Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hey everyone I have a question about connecting the AC out Terminals on my inverter.

I have 24v/1500w off grid inverter with only AC out terminals in the back and I want to connect that to a regular AC outlet(electrical outlet). I have disassembled the AC outlet and found 3 inlets(L,N, ground) . now, on my inverter the 3 terminals are marked (Line out, Neutral, Earth), if logic didn't fail me those should be connected as (L = Line out, N = Neutral, ground = Earth(not really necessary for the flow of electricity but provides protection)). and as I turn the inverter the power should run to the electrical outlet and provides electricity just like usual.

my question is, though it is common sense to connect the AC out terminals in the inverter directly to an AC distribution panel, I am curious what will happen if I just connect them to a regular outlet (just like i described above). and if I did so with/without AC breakers what consequences can I expect.

this question and example are of Explanatory reasons only and not for actual real life application, thus I didn't provide concrete information about the tools and equipments used.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the manual when you peg down the "real life" inverter.

Might also check the UL rating, I suspect most UL 458 (for mobile use) will have some internal protection and UL 1741(home use) less likely. But don't know. 

Easier to be safe than sorry.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to check the manual for info about DC grounding, wire size, overcurrent protection, and AC neutral/ground bonding in addition to breaker info. As Photowhit said, some inverters are designed to be used as you propose (wired to AC panel), and others to supply portable loads. Bad things can happen using the wrong one for the installation type.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited April 2018 #4
    Details do matter... Where are you at (Yemen?) and what AC voltage are you working with (in North America, usually 120 VAC. In other countries, many times 230 VAC or so).

In general, 1,500 Watts does not supply enough current to be an issue for most outlets/power systems:
    • 1,500 Watts / 120 VAC = 12.3 Amps
    • 1,500 Watts / 230 VAC = 6.5 amps

If yo have a larger inverter, or use smaller than (typical) AC wiring, then the fusing/breakers you would use would be sized to the rated current of the wiring...

In the US, that would be 14 AWG wire for 15 amp nominal current. In UK, they use 13 amp fuses for their typical AC wiring.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset