What do you think of this video on conservation?

Options
kamchuka
kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
I made this the other day, was on my mind. I know my grammar sucks but hows the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn3FlW-huFw&t=2s

900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got me to watch....

YOU ARE VERY BAD WITH FIGURES!!!!

TV has a standby load of 400watts???? BS.

Save $10 a month with a power strip? 12 cents a Kwh is average in US I think. 10,000/12= 833 Kwhs or about 27 Kwh's a day? Over 1000 watts running per hour in ghost loads?

Don't embarrass your self take it down.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not much better, make it 83 kwhs, but still silly to think you will have nearly 3 Kwhs of ghost loads per day. 

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • kamchuka
    kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Options
    your right about the T.V. thats running load. Standby loads do account for 5-10% of household power draw per year costing an average of 100 bucks which is almost ten bucks a month. Anywho your one of three people in America that will notice that tv thing lol. I'm a retired Army grunt not a f$^in journalist so I openly admit my grammar sucks and I misspeak  but the numbers aren't way off. think of all the printers, tv's, modems, computers, etc in the normal house. My 63" tv that I dont use at all anymore uses a shit ton of power just plugged in
    900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    • $10 savings / $0.12 per kWH = 83 kWH = 83,000 WH per month
    • 83,000 WH / 30 days = 2,766. WH per day (that is a refrigerator+ worth of daily loads)
    • 2,766 WattHours per day / 24 hours per day = 115 Watt average load (24 hours per day)
    It is possible... I had old stereo that was 40 Watts, a DVR with no up coming shows to record can be >25 watts on standby, etc... Similar loads for cable box/Sat TV receivers on standby.

An older TV (projection tv, etc.) -- 400 Watts is possible. Today, 65 watts for a cheap LED TV 49 inch--And much less for smaller TVs.

A Kill-a-Watt type meter is a good tool to start with.

https://www.solar-electric.com/kiacpomome.html

Don't drive your family nuts on the small stuff (unplugging cell phone chargers, laptops, etc. when not used--a few watts of load typical) if your basic power bill is >1,000 kWH per month.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset