Needing assistance

myron
myron Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
Let me get it straight, I have been reading on solar for many years and want to say it is more complicated in practice than in theory. So this is my issue, I got an installer and this what I initially had:
2 255w 24v panels, 1500 inverter, schneider c40 pwn charge controller, the breaker box (midnight). Not sure the wiring type from the panels down but I suppose those are adequate. Battery to charger is 2/0 and 4awg from charger to inverter. 
I recently did myself, a third panel, so that is not roughly 750 watts, changed the inverter to a schneider 4048 only thing changed was i got some 6 awg from the charger to the inverter as I read that was the wire. Might go back to the 4awg if necessary. Also i added 4 more batteries (8 trace 225amps 6v). I want am a bit nervous after reading up on wirings and associated issues. Is that wiring good enough? I tried running a microwave and the microwave sounded like it was experiencing low voltage ( i suspect this might be 2.5mm wire i joined to 6mm going from the inverter to the house. Your assistant is needed, I really want this be safe. I know I should get a mppt controller but no cash yet. Please advise me where I went wrong, if any and what adjustment to make. The panels are series together (all 3).

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    255 watt panels sound like 60 cell panels. This isn't a 24 volt panel and won't work properly with a c-40. So before I make an ass on myself lets determine if these are 60 cell panels.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• myron
    How do I check they 60 cells? They mark 24 volts though
  • myron
    I know the c40 isn't ideal but that is all I got at the moment
  • littleharbor2
    edited November 2017 #5
    myron said:
    How do I check they 60 cells? They mark 24 volts though

Count them. They would be 6 across and 10 high. People who don't know much about solar sell solar equipment all the time. A 24 volt panel would be 72 cells with a Vmp. of around 36 volts and an Voc. of around 45 volts. 60 cell panels are lower voltage, insufficient for fully charging a 24 volt battery

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you converting from 24V to 48V nominal.? The addition of batteries would indicate this, if so it's not good practice to add new batteries with old, especially in series, unless very close in age < 6 months and in excellent condition. To use 3 panels in series with the PWM charge controller for 48V nominal  would be too high a voltage and may cause damage to the CC. Even 4 panels in series parallel, if they're 60 cell panels, is not recommended as the voltage would be too low, so it would appear that a MPPT controller is the only solution.
    The statement "Battery to charger is 2/0 and 4awg from charger to inverter." is confusing, the inverter should be connected to the battery with large conductors with appropriate overcurrent protection. typo?
    Adding  smaller gauge conductors in series with larger is bad practice, the overcurrent protection would have to be sized for the smallest conductors or they would be in effect be a fuse, in the event of a short circuit.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    myron said:
    I know the c40 isn't ideal but that is all I got at the moment

You need 24 volt panels (or series wired 12 volt panels) with that PWM controller.

• myron
    so it is best i go back to the 24v inverter until i can purchase a mppt? I was just trying a thing as I had purchase those and they were just lyng around.
  • myron
    These are 24v panels. I think should start over. 3 24v panels rated at 255 and 250 watts, a 4048 inverter and c40 charge controller (pwm) to a 48v battery bank. You are saying the 3 panels series together will damage the charge controller? 
  • myron
    Is the charge controller rated for 60 amps? :/. I think i am lost
  • littleharbor2
    What is the Vmp and Voc of these panels? You still haven't established whether these are 60, or 72 cell. If you cant tell us that the voltage will tell us. The controller is a 40 amp controller but it is the only one of the c series controllers that does 48 volt charging.

• myron
    Sorry man, when I get home it is already dark to go on the roof. I am in Jamaica. Saturday I will be able to count the cells. For now I am told I need to connect the panels individually to a combiner box and then send it to the charger, correct? They are 24v panels, so the 3 series together is 72v, too much for the charger?
  • WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    A separate point,... and keep in mind that others on this site are much more knowledgeable than I am...
    Considering the 4048 inverter and 4 additional batteries now I'm assuming 24v before and 48v now.     But for this point it really doesn't matter.      With the additional batteries you need a higher charging rate to properly charge that battery bank assuming daily use, somewhere around 1800 watts in panels to provide a C/10 charging rate to 8 of those batteries.

But first as others have said you need to make sure that the panels are providing enough voltage by wiring them in series.     But with only 3 panels you may not be getting high enough voltage for enough hours a day for a proper charge cycle.

Using a DC capable voltage meter touch the wires from the panels and tell us what the voltage is.

2 years of experience (very little compared to most on this site) has taught me that a properly operating solar system is all about balance.    Battery bank to loads, panels (charging amps) to battery bank, ect.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• myron
    I really want to apologize for any arrogancy, I am not an electrician so most of the jargons I am lost on. Saturday I will get a voltage meter or at least count the cells. I just don't want anything to happen to the system. Yes the system is a 48v system now. The other info was just telling you what it was coming from. I really appreciate the patience.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of thoughts:

You mentioned the wire size from "charger to inverter". The charge controller output should go to the battery (or battery buss).

Have you checked/set the ac frequency on the new inverter? It may be set to 60hz by default, but I think you may need 110v -50hz.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • myron
    > @Estragon said:
    > A couple of thoughts:
    >
    > You mentioned the wire size from "charger to inverter". The charge controller output should go to the battery (or battery buss).
    >
    > Have you checked/set the ac frequency on the new inverter? It may be set to 60hz by default, but I think you may need 110v -50hz.

I will look into that, like I said I really new at this. I used to read up, but the information made it look so easy. There was never anything on wiring sizes, breaker etc. Just say to connect the solar to charger and then charger to battery, battery to inverter.
    I am grateful for all the help so far. Tomorrow I will get a combiner box to put the panels since you all suggested that 3 panels series together is too high a voltage for the pwm charge controller. So will connect the panels individually to the combiner box on the roof then back to the wires going down to the charge controller. But how? I was told I need a breaker also
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't say yet whether 3 in series is too much, as we don't have the Voc and temperature coefficients for the panels. I think the controller can take up to 125v. In order to see if a series string of three could overvoltage the controller, you have to calculate the combined Voc, adjusted for the coldest low temperature ever for your location.

Wiring 3 in parallel won-t charge a 48v bank.

For one or two strings, you don't really need breakers, but they're handy as disconnects. The size should be spec'd by panel maker, often 15a. A breaker IS required between the controller and battery, and between inverter and battery. Size of wire and breaker is generally spec'd by manufacturers.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • myron
    > @Estragon said:
    > We can't say yet whether 3 in series is too much, as we don't have the Voc and temperature coefficients for the panels. I think the controller can take up to 125v. In order to see if a series string of three could overvoltage the controller, you have to calculate the combined Voc, adjusted for the coldest low temperature ever for your location.
    >
    > Wiring 3 in parallel won-t charge a 48v bank.
    >
    > For one or two strings, you don't really need breakers, but they're handy as disconnects. The size should be spec'd by panel maker, often 15a. A breaker IS required between the controller and battery, and between inverter and battery. Size of wire and breaker is generally spec'd by manufacturers.
    >
    Thank you my friend. I will try to get a pic of the back of the panels tomorrow and get that info. Was trying to read the info from online sheet but it has be clueless
  • myron
    Sorry for the lengthy delay, life. Anyway I if I remember correctly it is 60 cell. I think the string is ok for now though.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Myron, on the bottom edge there are 2 grey cables...  I assume they are going to the Charge Controller, right?
    Q #2 are there any other cables going to the CC? NO?  It looks like ,in the shade, there is a splice covered with electricians tape or bicycle inner tube and a wire wrap, if so there should be 2 splices, one in each cable heading to the CC,
     If that is what you have you have 2 PARALLEL PV panels =  1 X stated voltage and the spliced wires , at the CC will have 2 x the Amps (of 1 PV). this setup and a PWM CC will not quite fully charge your 24V batteries
    If this is not the way the wiring is and there are no splices and the negative lead from one PV goes to the Positive lead from the other panel you have a SERIES STRING of 2 PV panels = 2 X the PV voltage and 1 X the Amps at the CC. This setup needs a MPPT CC to be able to fully utilize your 24V batteries  and will need 3 panels to feed a 48 volt battery properly.
    Hope this helps

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • myron
    Sorry for the delayed response. Oh those wires you seeing in the pic is at installation. They are connected in series, negative to positive, no splicing. They go to the cc. It is actually a series of 3 panels. I know I really need a mppt but funds not available as yet so I am just trying to make do with what I have. It is a 48v system. Thanks for your response. I will leave my number for whoever have time and can whatsapp me as I can't get much time to check online. Thanks again one and all

• myron
    Something wrong with it?
  • littleharbor2
    No, other than after I went back and saw you have 60 cell panels it made no sense. I tried to delete it but couldn't so I edited it to what you see.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Yea, one of our "software upgrades" broke the ability for users to delete their own posts (reported but has not been fixed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset