The search for the super battery is pretty encouraging...

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
We can make lithium batteries that use plastic as the electrolyte. Non-flammable and capable of twice the energy density. We can also make gigantic batteries that use minerals high in "crustal abundance".

Great 52 minute documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZrQ5yPsLI
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    good Documentary... tks

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ecarus
    ecarus Registered Users Posts: 4
    This is awesome!
  • softdown
    edited December 2017 #4
    Tesla's gig factory is, of course, sticking with the standard proven lithium technology.....essentially thousands (~8000) of over sized  "AA" batteries that cover the bottom of the car. Seems to me that a fire could spread? How does one replace that battery? Is the car simply scrapped?

Lithium, it turns out, is quite abundant. I think cobalt is proving to be the needed material that is hard to get enough of. I think the Congo is the principal supplier of the cobalt mineral. 

That battery with the plastic electrolyte is about the coolest thing....from appearances. Looks about bullet proof...literally. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Wbuffetjr1
    Wbuffetjr1 Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Cool video, thanks for posting.  Interesting times for sure!
  • softdown
    They gave themselves "40 years" for the battery made of "crustal materials". Bit of a cop out there. That probably means they have high hopes and little else at the present time.