New Setup with (3) 310 watts Solar panel; (1) MPPT 80 and 3500 12v inverter

mania2004
mania2004 Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm in the process of setting up in Puerto Rico the following system, we have a lot of sun shine in between huracane. But I'm new to the solar and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the Panels and get the most of them. I only need run refrigerator and microwave at the same time and will alternate microwave for washer machine or coffee maker at least until I'm able to get some Deep cycle batteries and more panels. 

1. How should I connect the solar panels in series or parallel or combination of both? Solar Spec below
  2. Should I wait to connect the 3rd panel until I get a 4th one?
  3. How many amps fuse should I used in between the + cable of the panel and the Charge Controller?
  4. How many amps fuse should I used in between the Batteries + cable and the inverter?
  5. I haven't bought the batteries due to they all disappear after hurricane Maria, should I go with a 6volt or 12volt setup (Inverter is a 12volt)?
  6. Any other suggestion is deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all the input

Solar Spec (Trina Solar)

Watts (STC) 310 W

Max Power Voltage (VMPP) 37.0 V

Max Power Current (IMPP) 8.38 A

Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 45.5 V

Short Circuit Current (ISC) 8.85 A

Max System Voltage (UL) DC 1000 V

Charge Controller

Inverter

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 #2
    That charge controller isn't an MPPT controller. It wont work well with those panels. 
     You need to lose the 12 volt inverter and get a 24 volt pure sine wave inverter. 3500 watts is way too big for a 12 volt system. It is also too high of wattage for your needs. All it will do is drain your batteries faster, even while doing nothing, sitting idle.
     You can use that charge controller with those panels if you go with a 24 volt system. Sell the inverter and buy the correct one. Wire the panels in parallel and get some deep cycle batteries. A good starter battery is a GC2 6 volt golf cart battery. 4 in series will give you a 24 volt bank,. you might need 8 of them though with your loads.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mania2004

We are setting this up like a generator for emergency to take care of the most essential items ( the refrigerator ). I only care to have the refrigerator on during the day, at night we need batteries but we can't find batteries there.

I'm planning to add more solar panels and run the house as I'm off the grid, we don't know how long we are going to be with out electricity. We are planning for 10 panels. But we don't know until we start. We are estimating 3.5kw as we moving from electric stove to gas, beside that we have  (1) TV, (2) pedestal fans, Dvd player, (1) laptop and a (1) Desktop all light bulbs (10) 15watts. Also as I mention before Washer machine and my dad uses the microwave a lot (1550 watts). 

So my numbers are 1550 MWave + 800 Refrigerator + 150 light bulbs + PC+ printer 800 + Washer 400 + dvd 100 + fan 140 + coffee M 1200 = 5140 watts but as you know not all be running at the same time.

10 panels @ 310watts = 3100watts. We already have all this equipment and we have to make it work until we could get better (the right equipment) in place. I bought what I thought it was right, now I just need some guidance to get this to work is been 60+ days without electricity. He only have two batteries that belong to some old cars. Until they could get some marine batteries. 

• littleharbor2
    edited November 2017 #4
    With 3100 watts into a 12 volt system you need a 258 amp charge controller. Obviously this isn't made and won't work.  moral of the story is this compilation of parts wont work. if you insist on keeping the inverter and cheap charge controller then parallel wire 3 panels, connect them to this controller and hope for the best.
     Don't forget to fuse all 3 panels and get a big 4/0 set of cables and 250 amp fuse for the inverter.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A word of caution, never connect the inverter to the load terminals of the controller, if you are tempted to do so, it must be connected directly to a battery via a suitable fuse.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mania2004

littleharbor thanks for your input but the 3100 watts configuration would be for later next year, right now I only have 3 panels @ 310watts = 930 / 12volt =  78 amp charge controller and the one I have is a 80 amp CC with those number I think I would be ok for now. But going back to my questions are as follow:

1. How should I connect the solar panels in series or parallel or combination of both? Solar Spec below
    2. Should I wait to connect the 3rd panel until I get a 4th one?
    3. How many amps fuse should I used in between the + cable of the panel and the Charge Controller?
    4. How many amps fuse should I used in between the Batteries + cable and the inverter?
    5. I haven't bought the batteries due to they all disappear after hurricane Maria, should I go with a 6volt or 12volt setup (Inverter is a 12volt)?
    6. Any other suggestion is deeply appreciated.  Your suggestion is to change the inverter for a 24volt ( well I already send the inverter to PR I live in FL but my dad is in PR ) but I have 30 days to returned mean while I would look for a 24 volt PureS as you suggested. Any PureS Inverters name brand?
    7. Now I have another question. Should I look at the Hybrid CC/ inverters

• littleharbor2
    That Charge controller is NOT an mppt controller. The 3 panels you would connect will act like a single panel. You need a real MPPT controller to run a 12 volt system. That being said I wouldn't address any other questions pertaining to setting up these components. There are a number of intermediate priced REAL mppt controllers out there. I cant recommend any particular one. I would, however recommend an Outback, Midnite Solar or Morningstar controller, these are higher end mfg. 

As to inverters, the quality name brands are all I could recommend. Outback, Magnum or Schnider/Xantrex. You need to get away from any thoughts of a 12 volt system. All it will do is limit your system to less than your needs. Minimum 24 volts, 48 even better if you plan on long term, full time off grid power production.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a pwm charge controller and 3 of your panels in parallel, my guess is you might get ~25a. With no batteries, the fridge likely won't start. With batteries to get it started, panels might be enough to keep it running.

Inverters aren't generally designed to run on the voltage the controller will output. As Mcgivor noted, the load terminals, if the controller has them, are normally for small loads only. Also, the pwm output will likely be too high voltage for the inverter. Best case, the inverter faults with overvoltage, but quite possibly is permanently damaged.

In other words, don't even try hooking anything up until you get batteries. 4x6v golf cart batteries might be a good start. The previous advice on replacing the inverter and controller and going to 24v minimum is correct.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter