Tiles Or Concrete?

pedro12
pedro12 Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi all, i want to ask which type of flooring is best in terms of reliability and durability, i want to redesign floor of my house.

Comments

• lzhome
    lzhome Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Both will still be in place when we are all gone. The question is how do you want the floor to look? Tile offers more options.
    TriStar MPPT, 8 x 100w PV, MNPV6 Combiner, 4 x 12v 155ah VMAXTanks AGMs and GoPower 2000w PSW Inverter.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both *could* be in place when we're all gone, but only with proper substrate, prep, material, and installation. I've seen both fail in short order.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay away from solar tiles :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Over the years, I have seen that the subfloor is critical to any installation. Week subfloor (or 400+ lb tenant) and almost no standard flooring will last.

I have used Pergo type flooring for some apartments and homes (ongoing maintenance). The flooring is easy to install and holds up pretty well--HOWEVER, if you have any water issues (leaks, kids spilling drink, etc.), the water gets in between the grooves and swells up the "particle board". It does not with-sand water at all (the surface is Formica like--which does ok with water).

I am still of mixed thinking about if I will use Pergo type flooring again. Just regular tongue and groove wood floor+finish is more forgiving (in general regarding water--The finish varnish is not that hard for high traffic areas). Plus it can be refinished.

Tile--There is always the issue with grout lines--They get dirty and crack. The tile itself does hold up well (also various natural stone can do OK--Keep marble tile away from wet areas, such as around the bathroom and kitchen).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset