What is the last thing you would expect to see in Hollywood?

engineer
engineer Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
"We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children"
Check out this solar electric vehicle

Comments

• myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 #2
    engineer said:
    What is the last thing you expect to see in Hollywood?
    I'd say, right in Hollywood, I'd least expect to see a wind turbine, but since both Ed Begley, Jr. and Jay Leno live in Hollywood, and they both have VAWTs, they both beat us both to it. Ed Begley had a HAWT well over a decade and a half ago, btw. He's also had solar panels since he bought the house, back when he was a big star* on St. Elsewheere, in the mid '80's.

edit: Not that he was a huge star, mind you, but he was a huge star at the time, more so than he was before or after the show aired.
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the old Solarex 60 watt panels off of Ed Begley's house when they did a tear-off and new roof. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• myocardia
    I bought the old Solarex 60 watt panels off of Ed Begley's house when they did a tear-off and new roof. 
    Roughly what year was this?
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • littleharbor2
    edited October 2017 #5
    I bought them about 2 years ago.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I can tell you with authority that the bogus pic in the ad is no-where near Hollywood
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Ed talking about the trackers I an others use for clients and at home sweet home.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOR_hLcEdo

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Those panels are pretty old. How are they holding up now? After how many years of use?

I wonder what they used this time?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2
     Yes they were old panels. There were some that the backsheet was delaminating in large portions. I left them behind. I'm sure the ones I got are still doing fine. They have long ago went on to new owners on RV's and boats. Solarex panels were well made and all the modules I purchased were testing right up to where they should have. IMHO other than lower efficiency the panels from that era are as well made as any today. They will be the first ones that will be still working after 40 years and proved the evolution of PV panels was mature enough to warrant them for 25 years.

Haven't got a clue on the new system.  

• myocardia
    edited October 2017 #10
    softdown said:
    Those panels are pretty old. How are they holding up now? After how many years of use?

He bought the house in 1988, and says that he immediately starting insulating the crap out of it, and had a PV array installed. With how expensive panels were at that time, I'm sure that the 60 watt Solarex were the first set. I would also like to hear how they are holding up. This time, he went with "normal" roughly 300 watt, 60 cell panels, like everyone else.
  • littleharbor2
    myocardia said:
    softdown said:

He bought the house in 1988, and says that he immediately starting insulating the crap out of it, and had a PV array installed. With how expensive panels were at that time, I'm sure that the 60 watt Solarex were the first set. I would also like to hear how they are holding up. This time, he went with "normal" roughly 300 watt, 60 cell panels, like everyone else.

Wow I guess his RE agenda is so well documented that this info is out there for the curious. I've never really inquired.

See my previous entry for the outcome of the panels.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There were plenty of bad stories in the marine world with Solarex. Buying something that old that has been out in the sun thermal cycling
    is always a risk if you depend on it. If you have the time to deal with that kind of stuff I am sure E-bay can help ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net