Wire side tap

I'm leaning on doing a line side tap can anyone tell from this photo if this is possible? I'll call an electrician I just was curious if I'm screwed or not.

Comments

• Tontwins
    Tontwins Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Pic
  • Tontwins
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #4
    You might be able to use 2 sided insulated taps such as in the link   http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/burndy/cat/611557 
    a side tap is not possible as a tap needs to be on the load side of the breaker, not on the meter bus, fusing and disconnect means would be needed. The uninsulated cable needs some form of barrier where it passes the live bus bar, appears the plastic shield is broken. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Tontwins
    Mcgivor do you know any electricians in Salt Lake City? It's a long shot but all the electricians I've spoke to so far suck.
  • mcgivor
    Tontwins said:
    Mcgivor do you know any electricians in Salt Lake City? It's a long shot but all the electricians I've spoke to so far suck.
    Sorry, don't know any electricans in Salt Lake City, I'm currently in Thailand, but there must be someone locally who knows their stuff, there always is, perseverance is my best suggestion.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Tontwins
    Would using something like a Milbank K4977-INT and attaching it the load side of the meter and running it to a separate 150 amp ''no load'' breaker pv only system only work? Would 120% rule apply? I'd be avoiding the existing busbar all together... I'm just trying to determine the cheapest solution for a 60 max amp pv system to add to my 200 amp service without reducing the main breaker down.
  • mcgivor
    edited September 2017 #8
    That would appear to be a possible solution, I will however refrain from quoting rules and regulations, as rules change, are subject to AHJ, (authority having juristiction ), and so forth, in addition my qualifications are for practice only in Canada and the UK. ,US. regulations may differ. 
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Tontwins said:
    I'm leaning on doing a line side tap can anyone tell from this photo if this is possible? I'll call an electrician I just was curious if I'm screwed or not.
    You might consider a meter-collar adapter like this one: https://www.sdge.com/environment/renewable-meter-adapter  Not sure if that's available in your area, or if it would fit your meter.

Might also consider the B3 Bypass from QFE: http://www.qfe002.com/  That's a line side tap that goes in your load panel.
  • Tontwins
    Thanks Bill I'll call Rocky moutain Power on these I know the connect DER they had issues with I'll keep my fingers crossed