Inverter/charger won't transfer Genny to system

Gary_65_Hunter
Gary_65_Hunter Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a Xantrex DR 2412 Inverter/Charger on my boat.  This spring I installed two 330 watt panels and MPPT charge controller to charge the batteries when we are not on the boat.  We have a Honda Eu 3000i generator.  This weekend I went to fire up the generator to run some of the heavier loads and the Inverter/Charger would not transfer the 110v incoming to the 110v system or charge the batteries.  Any suggestions beside get a new one (very expensive)?  
Thank you
Gary

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You would not get a new DR2412 as they are not supported anymore!  And a very good reason for having a sine wave power source.

Do you hear the transfer switch try to select the shore/gen power? 

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Gary_65_Hunter
    I am not surprised that the DR2412 is now obsolete.  I have never tried to listen for the switch, my guess is the transfer switch is the problem but I am no EEng. I will listen for it this weekend.  Is the transfer switch something that can be replaced?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    On some it can, depending on your skill, there may be soldering, but you probably need someone who can service it as without a part or a unit to scavenge the part from you are in deep water. If the inverter still works you could buy a 12V charger and move on from this. Nice boat BTW, I was on a cruising version that beat everyone to anywhere!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Gary_65_Hunter
    Thank you our boat is great,  I wake up on the water not near the water.  There is someone nearby who apparently rebuilds these units.  I may build a manual switch outside the I/C so I can run the fridge and hot tub on the generator.  The solar should take care of the charging.
    Thanks for the help, I figured it was a long shot but if I don't ask the answer is always "NO".
    Gary
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 #6
    Maybe a silly question, but I assume you've checked to see if 120vac is present between hot/neutral, and hot/ground at the ACin terminals of the inverter with the generator running?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 #7
    Without doing extensive research, there are some things that come to mind, if the controller charger won't accept the incoming AC from the generator, it could be that the neutral bond in the generator is in conflict with the neutral output of the inverter, so it will not qualify the generator input. There should not be multiple neutral bonds, removing the bond inside the generator may resolve the issue. By no means am I claiming this is the problem, just a possible cause, see the attached file, although not your exact model it s merely for informational purpose. manual link for futher infomation.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/195381/Xantrex-Dr1512w.html?page=52#manual
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.